Aug 18, 2012, 07:39 PM

Benmlee slipper clutch

Slipper clutch seems to work well. Yesterday's crash cracked the tail boom, knocked a link off the head & popped the ail servo from the mount on the frame. The tail shaft did get slightly bent however. I bent it back & it does not seem to affect flight. A,B, & C gears are good.

V120d02s slipper clutch 8 18 12 (4 min 41 sec)

Lots of wind today. I'm still surprised how well this little heli handles the wind.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2012, 01:07 AM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgibbons

Lots of wind today. I'm still surprised how well this little heli handles the wind.
LOL, I was watching the trees more than the heli. That's a lot of wind!
Aug 19, 2012, 01:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37
LOL, I was watching the trees more than the heli. That's a lot of wind!
I have a 450 fbl w/3gx & I'd rather fly my v120 in the wind.
Aug 19, 2012, 11:38 AM
IHW Heli Division
Quote:
I have a 450 fbl w/3gx & I'd rather fly my v120 in the wind.
Same here. The 450 size rotor disc when in knifes edge is like a big wall and it gets pushed around too much in strong wind. For normal forward flight the 450 is better and more stable though. But when flipping you really have to be more mindful of the wind direction on a bigger heli. Even my 200 is not as good in the wind for 3d as the v120s are.

But the 200 is my favorite and it's been getting more flight time..

4f200 - Beautiful skys, bad tail hold! (4 min 52 sec)

4F200 - 08-18-12 Tail servo fail & Crash! (1 min 0 sec)
Aug 19, 2012, 12:15 PM
My 500 is my favorite. It takes a lot of wind to push it (w/a 3300 6s batt) around. Here's the 500 in the same wind.

500 3gx 08 18 12 (4 min 45 sec)

I wanted to comment on the benmlee slipper clutch. I had another fairly hard crash with it this morning. Nothing popped off this time & was able to pick it up & fly out the rest of the pack. I'll post the vid later.
Aug 19, 2012, 01:43 PM
Here's the vid

v120 slipper clutch crash&fly (5 min 4 sec)
Aug 19, 2012, 01:52 PM
Heli addicted.
hello , today after connecting my sixth battery pack, the heli dropped off the sky after a while.After taking the canopy off i ve seen that rx had no power.I ve checked and soldered the esc's cable -(the red one that goes to the battery connector), - i did this again in the past - when i was having the same problems.Now after connecting the battery the rx is arming -you can hear the 1st 2 beeps but the motor is not spinning at all after binding -there are no beeps you can hear when the motor is connected to the esc-the rx has the red light on, the servos are working but not the motor.Time to replace the esc? or the motor died?

Other than that i had a very good flying time today...

Walkera v120d02s.Inverted flight ,rolls & backflips.19/08/12 (4 min 14 sec)
Last edited by amartolos; Aug 19, 2012 at 03:13 PM.
Aug 19, 2012, 02:18 PM
So you are getting the 2nd beep? Do the servos respond?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amartolos
hello , today after connecting my sixth battery pack, the heli dropped off the sky after a while.After taking the canopy off i ve seen that rx had no power.I ve checked and soldered the esc's cable -(the red one that goes to the battery connector), - i did this again in the past - when i was having the same problems.Now after connecting the battery the rx is arming -you can hear the 1st 2 beeps but the motor is not spinning at all after binding -there are no beeps you can hear when the motor is connected to the esc-the rx has the red light on, the servos are working but not the motor.Time to replace the esc?
Aug 19, 2012, 02:33 PM
Heli addicted.
Quote:
So you are getting the 2nd beep? Do the servos respond?
i get the 1st beep(double beep actually) just when i connect the battery,but not the second at the end of the bind process..the servos are moving.the rx light is on
Aug 19, 2012, 02:34 PM
I had this happen to me the other day. I have fixed id mode set. I bound it in random mode & then reset to fixed id. It's worth a try. It worked for me.
Aug 19, 2012, 02:37 PM
Heli addicted.
Quote:
I had this happen to me the other day. I have fixed id mode set. I bound it in random mode & then reset to fixed id. It's worth a try. It worked for me.

bound in random mode?
Aug 19, 2012, 03:57 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Nice Flying.
If the servos are responding with your sticks, but not the motor, you might wanna check the 3 motor cables to the ESC. I heard some guys had reported "connection failures" due to that 3 plug connector, so others had actually soldered the motor wires directly to the ESC.
Brushless motors usually still "beeps" with just 2 wires connected (out of the 3), but will not spin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amartolos
hello , today after connecting my sixth battery pack, the heli dropped off the sky after a while.After taking the canopy off i ve seen that rx had no power.I ve checked and soldered the esc's cable -(the red one that goes to the battery connector), - i did this again in the past - when i was having the same problems.Now after connecting the battery the rx is arming -you can hear the 1st 2 beeps but the motor is not spinning at all after binding -there are no beeps you can hear when the motor is connected to the esc-the rx has the red light on, the servos are working but not the motor.Time to replace the esc? or the motor died?

Other than that i had a very good flying time today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAC4Q...ature=youtu.be
Last edited by Spyro37; Aug 19, 2012 at 04:33 PM.
Aug 19, 2012, 04:22 PM
Heli addicted.
if the problem was the motor's wires the rx would had power all the time.The rx has started to work again after soldering the esc'c battery connector.
Aug 19, 2012, 04:34 PM
After last nights storm it was very calm this morning. I took the V120D02s and D05 out to the soccer park close to my house. It's about five soccer fields in a row so it's very long. On one side it's got a row of trees and small houses and the other side has railroad tracks. There's plenty of room long ways but you still have to be careful not to get into the trees.

Flying this 6 axis gyro on the D02s is still very different from the 3 axis. In fast forward flight I get that pitch up that some people write about on RC groups. It's just hard to get this thing to go fast, dive or go vertical without the gyro taking over too much and trying to level out the flight. On a hard dive it wants to pull up. On a steep bank it wants to level out too early. On a hard vertical climb it wants to level out on me.

I turned the gyro pot down and that seemed to help some but not completely.

I actually pulled off some flips today. I did about three in a row and it went OK. They were big and slow and then I realized later I had the extent pot turned down too low. After those three flips the gyro started to go crazy on me. You know when you spin around on a merry-go-round, get all dizzy and try to stand up. That's how the heli was acting after the flip. It was all over the place all crazy and dizzy while I tried to recover. I ended up in a tree but got the throttle hold on just in time. I moved the servos to find it and then climbed up and got it. No damage.
I then got up high and tried some more flips and it still had the dizzy affect. When I came down to land it sort of had turrets syndrom or something because it had this random twitch. Once I turned it off and re-binded it was fine again. Then I tried to fly inverted. I got it over but crashed right away. I tried again and this time remembered to pull down on the elevator to keep it up in the air. This time it went better but I was too low and ended up crashing and tearing the rotor blade off.

I did get in some flights on the V12D05s too. This heli flew really smooth, dove nicely, climbed near vertical with no problem and I even flipped it over once. I started to realize I was having trouble when the heli got too far away from me. After once minor crash I realized the batteries in my TX were way low and affecting flight when I got too far away.
No real damage to the D05 other than a broken rotor blade.

When I got back home, that's when I realized the extent pot was too low on the D02s causing the big slow flips. The TX started beeping at me it had low battery so that's probably why I lost it a couple times. It also occurred to me that I was in stunt 1 with 90% throttle when I should have been in stunt 2 with 100%

In all, not a bad morning. It was a learning experience and made me realize what to do different next time. Other than two sets of rotor blades and a small crack in the green canopy I had no real damage to either heli. I can say that I'm not a huge fan of the 6 axis gyro. For hovering and stationary 3-D it's probably pretty good but getting out in the open for some fast sport flying and it's not that good. The gyro takes over control too much for my taste. I'm going to keep the 6 axis in this heli for now and hopefully learn to fly inverted with it. The extra stability has got to help out some in that regard.

For faster more agile flying l prefer the RX2622 in my V120D05s
Aug 19, 2012, 04:47 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
dgibbons on the benmlee slipper clutch did you use the spacer for the B gear. In IntegrityHndywrk great write up I see he did. Haven't install mine yet & wondering if necessary. Still just flying Bobs clutch haven't installed clutches on my other 2.

Quick Reply