Jun 12, 2012, 12:30 PM
I got to work on my MiG a little more last night...As you have read, the variable geometry thrust balls are hollow (don't have the foam insert) and cause a loss of thrust...I wanted to add afterburning LED rings to the exhaust...I installed the AB rings inside of the variable geometry thrust balls using hot glue...I needed to install something inside of the thrust balls to smooth out airflow but not cover up the LED afterburner rings...I found some clear plastic cups that fit GREAT!!!...The tapered cups seal the open thrust ball area promoting smooth airflow and since they are clear the afterburner LED's shine brightly through..In fact, the clear cups act like a light diffuser making the afterburner effect look brighter and even better!!!

Kevin
to remove ads between posts
Jun 12, 2012, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
I got to work on my MiG a little more last night...As you have read, the variable geometry thrust balls are hollow (don't have the foam insert) and cause a loss of thrust...I wanted to add afterburning LED rings to the exhaust...I installed the AB rings inside of the variable geometry thrust balls using hot glue...I needed to install something inside of the thrust balls to smooth out airflow but not cover up the LED afterburner rings...I found some clear plastic cups that fit GREAT!!!...The tapered cups seal the open thrust ball area promoting smooth airflow and since they are clear the afterburner LED's shine brightly through..In fact, the clear cups act like a light diffuser making the afterburner effect look brighter and even better!!!

Kevin
Kevin that sounds great....any pics?
Jun 12, 2012, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mray View Post
Kevin that sounds great....any pics?
No...I may just do a video later on this evening...My son has golf practice so it will be late this evening before I can post the vid...

Kevin
Jun 12, 2012, 08:42 PM
I decided to go ahead and post pics as it's too dark to shoot video...

First is a shot of the plastic cup used...A 16 ounce one from Walmart...Next few shots are of the LED ring inside of the ball of the exhaust nozzle...The LED's are inside of the plastic cup for smooth uninterupted air flow...The cups are just hot glued in place as well as the LED rings...The LED rings are included as part of a twin jet light kit from RC Lander....I did have to make "pie shaped" cuts in the larger opening of the cups for a flush fit within the nozzles...As you can see, the fit/taper of the cups looks almost like the shape was specially made for these nozzles...The variable geometry nozzles work unrestricted...

I'll post better pics/video later with the LED's connected to power...I had to disconnect them to glue the nozzles in place...

Kevin
Jun 12, 2012, 09:01 PM
Nice work Kevin. I may have to use that idea on my mig that sits in a box waiting to be built.
Jun 12, 2012, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
Nice work Kevin. I may have to use that idea on my mig that sits in a box waiting to be built.
THANKS!!!...When I make the next post with pics or video I'll show how I cut the cups to give the basic shape and the "pie cuts" needed to get the cup to sit flush on the larger end...

Kevin
Jun 16, 2012, 05:51 AM
Question:

I got the mig and I built it and hooked everything up, but i am not sure how to hook up the thrust vectoring does it go through channels 7-9 or do you link it up through the control surfaces using y harnesses. I ask this because i hooked them up in channel 7-9 and its just making them move in the two positions that the switch has and no movement with the controls.
Jun 16, 2012, 09:01 AM
What tx/rx are you using?
Jun 16, 2012, 11:06 AM
The stock tx/rc that came with it a skyflight 12 ch
Jun 16, 2012, 01:39 PM
[QUOTE=Wader237;21913183]The stock tx/rc that came with it a skyflight 12 ch

I'm pretty sure 7-9 is correct. The tv switch above throttle has to be on. There is also 7-9 switches that allow you to turn each axis on/off so make sure they are right. There is a switch on front of tx near bottom on left. It should be on. Also the switches on the bottom right side need to be in the correct postions. Is the mix switch in the up position? My switches on the bottom right are like this starting from mix switch. Up, Down, Up, Up, Up. I dont use this tx anymore but that is how mine is set up when I did use it and it worked fine. Let me know what you figure out.
Last edited by DamonH; Jun 16, 2012 at 01:49 PM.
Jun 16, 2012, 03:25 PM
Tried it didn't work still. Its weird
Jun 16, 2012, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wader237 View Post
Tried it didn't work still. Its weird
So what exactly is it doing or not doing. Does tv ever work? Does one or two axis work and the rest dont?
Jun 17, 2012, 11:17 AM
its working but not the the tv switch it is moving on the two pos switches that are connected to 7-9
Jun 17, 2012, 05:02 PM
problem solved:

I used the servos an set them so that down on the switch was level pos and up was up pos on the nozzles then set the rudder one to be level in down pos and to a specified direction l or r on direction preference when up.
Jun 19, 2012, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
First is a shot of the plastic cup used...A 16 ounce one from Walmart...Next few shots are of the LED ring inside of the ball of the exhaust nozzle...

Kevin
Make sure you glue these plastic cups very well, especially the leading edge. And with some real glue. Or probably use 2 of them.
Mine lasted for 20 sec of full throttle and flew our shattered in pieces. Ended up with 2 paper cups per nozzle, they are less prone to cracking and last so far.

Quick Reply