Aug 23, 2011, 03:38 PM
Or current resident
I have the Dave Rees plans for the 57" span size. Tried to a fit GWS LPS gear drive in and it won't fit. That was a few years back, I would think a modern 10 gram outrunner would fit in there just fine. Humm, might be time to revisit that one. 6 motors and esc's might be a bit cost prohibitive because my current project list will require the use 8 of the little buggers.
Glenn
to remove ads between posts
Aug 29, 2011, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis
I have the Dave Rees plans for the 57" span size. Tried to a fit GWS LPS gear drive in and it won't fit. That was a few years back, I would think a modern 10 gram outrunner would fit in there just fine. Humm, might be time to revisit that one. 6 motors and esc's might be a bit cost prohibitive because my current project list will require the use 8 of the little buggers.
Glenn
Glen, how about dropping back a bit on the technology front and go with brushed motors? One of the maestros in the TEMAC/EMFSO (Toronto Electric Model Aircraft Club/ Electric Model Flyers of Southern Ontario) likes to use brushed motors on multi-engined projects. One of two ESCs, one or two batteries, more fiddly on setup and configuration, but a lot cheaper.
Aug 29, 2011, 03:47 PM
Or current resident
I agree, brushed motors is the way to go and is where I started. Used eight N20's on my Hercules with a single esc and it works great.

I need to spin a 6" prop and figured the LPS would be the way to go.
There just isn't enough room in the wing for the gearbox even with a long shaft extension. Was going to enlarge the plan to fit the gearboxes and that's where the project died.

Glenn
Sep 01, 2011, 05:15 AM
You made that out of trees?
Quote:
BTW, John's plane is covered with brown paper and a mix of 50/50 water and white (Elmers) glue. It was painted using standard acrylic paints. He also mentioned that it flies very well sort of like a big trainer and now it needs a bit of touching up from all the flights for the brown paper is starting to look a bit ragged now.
Actually, it's not looking too bad at all for a 15 year model!

It's now on it's 3rd set of batteries (now Lipo's of course) but it still runs the original speed 400 brushed motors with MFA gearboxes. - John.
Oct 07, 2011, 12:45 AM

Flew Mine Today

It is from John's plans, 110 inches, 14 lb 12 oz ready to fly. I put 4 flights on it today and it flies great!
Oct 07, 2011, 11:43 AM

B-36 Third flight video

Here is a link to video of the third flight.

B-36 Model third test flight (3 min 4 sec)
Oct 08, 2011, 04:30 PM
Cobra72, can you post some particulars about the power system that you're using?

I don't think that it was flying at a scale speed, considering that most of the film that I've seen has it more of a lumbering behemoth while yours looked to be doing a lot higher speed. Have you tried throttling back or at what throttle position were you flying at once you got off of the ground?

BTW, I found John Considine's design on the Traplet website: http://shop.traplet.com/product.aspx?c=997

Considering what British Post charge for overseas parcels ostage, it might be easier to coordinate with friends/family in the UK to receive the package and hold it for another friend/family member to pick up. LEarned this lesson with a kit too big for the suitcase -- cost almost as much to mail it home than the buy it in the first place. (Read: And I thought that CVanada Post was pricey!!!!)
Last edited by byrocat; Oct 08, 2011 at 04:38 PM.
Oct 08, 2011, 10:04 PM

Speed

I will get the details about the power system after tomorrows flying session. It takes off about half throttle and I pulled the power back right away. I am getting 250 watts per motor at full throttle. I agree the video looks fast, more so than when you see it in person.

Alan
Oct 08, 2011, 10:56 PM
Congratulations Alan on a job well done!

It's a bit of a thrill seeing someone else building something from my plans .

I hope yours gets to celebrate it's 15th birthday as well!

Surprisingly mine has proved to be the most reliable & maintenance free model I have ever built. The only repairs I have done with all it's flying has been to tighten a motor pinion, replace a chipped prop & repair a broken noseleg steering arm. - John.
Oct 10, 2011, 01:04 PM

Power System

I am using HP Motors 28/14/06 from Hobby People, Balsa Products BP 45A Esc's with no BEC in them and 8 x 6 APC Thin Electric props. I have the ESC's in groups of two powered by XPS 4000 Mah 40C 11.1 volt Lipoly's. At full throttle I have 250 watts per motor. I have the two out board motors set up so I can have differential thrust tied into the rudder if I turn the mix on, but I have not used it yet.

John, Thank You! It is a great design and flies so smooth, no bad habits that I have found. I hope mine lasts just like yours has. I am planning on putting it away for the winter while I add details.

Alan
Oct 11, 2011, 02:55 AM
Alan, the only bad habit I've noticed with mine is it will drop a wing if you try to turn too tight at very low speeds, there's not a lot of wing chord right out at the tip.

Keep it wide & smooth like the full size & you will never know.

Happy flying! - John.
Oct 11, 2011, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the advice John, I will remember that! I did add washout in tip sections, maybe next time get up high and see what it stalls like.

Alan

Quick Reply