Aug 16, 2011, 09:02 PM
The first video I put up there I did with a keychain cam that I had velcro onto a hat. That second one was my LG phone that I just propped up against something. Get creative
to remove ads between posts
Aug 16, 2011, 09:02 PM
If you guys want to step up your game from a co-axial to a single rotor, you should go to the MCPx. Very fast, Very durable, pretty cheap, and VERY stable. Just saying. :P I fly this little thing at the parking lot near my house and it can stand up to the 4-5 mph wind pretty well. The most expensive part I bought to repair my MCPx over all of my time flying this thing is the tailboom($7!). However, there are quite a few times when I crash onto the parking lot and need to pop back in the ball linkage for it. I did, however, change my motor to the 51416 Turbo Ace later on for better performance.
Aug 16, 2011, 09:54 PM
I dunno if I would call the MCP-x cheap. It is around 180 bucks. You can get the msr for around 100. I have an msr also but enjoy flying it outdoor more than indoors even though its not really good in much wind. The other thing is that the mcp-x is a CP helicopter and is much different then flying a coaxial or fixed pitch. but I will agree that I will own one, I am just waiting on the price to come down some.
Aug 17, 2011, 10:32 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
Have you Guys looked in the "Classifieds"??? Every time I look in the Electric Helis you will always come across a few MCPx's for sale. There is a reason for this...HHMMM... Not that they are "NOT" good fliers, I think it's because people can't get a handle on them. The vid makes them look easy to fly. Maybe they are, maybe they are not. But I'm not forking over that kind of dough to find out, that's for sure. Don't forget, this is rather a new bird so, basically the jury is still out on this one. Just my 2 cents worth.

Mike.
Aug 17, 2011, 10:45 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay
The first video I put up there I did with a keychain cam that I had velcro onto a hat. That second one was my LG phone that I just propped up against something. Get creative
REALLY!!! That vid looked good. How much did you pay for it and what kind of ratings (or however they compare speed) does it have. I do a lot of outdoor flying. Will that make any difference? I know a lot of Guys do this but, I was always a little apprehensive for some reason. How do you know your focused and on the subject (heli of course)?? Thanks.

Mike.
Aug 17, 2011, 11:47 AM
The keychain camera was like 15 bucks and I bought a 4gb micro sd card to go into it. So total was like 20-25 bucks. It seems all the keychain cameras will drop some frames but they average around 30fps. The problem with using them like this is that you don't know if you had it setup just right till after you are done. So you will have lots of videos with the stuff sitting just outside the frame. Night flyer actually took one and velcroed it to the side of his sun glasses, that way as long as he moved his head with the plane he would normally have it in view. Just takes lots of trial and error.
Aug 17, 2011, 01:51 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
^^^^
Thanks DD. I'm checking them out. I may have to wait until next month though

Mike.
Aug 18, 2011, 04:15 AM
Master Of My Universe
I have a few of these keyfob cams and I fitted one of my HD ones to the side of my glasses using an empty SD Card box

If you want any info Mike you know how to reach me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012
^^^^
Thanks DD. I'm checking them out. I may have to wait until next month though

Mike.

Aug 18, 2011, 06:02 AM
I never even knew they made those that can record in HD.
Aug 18, 2011, 10:45 AM
I just ordered an 808 #11 keychain 720p HD cam to hopefully get some video from this CX2 I just ordered.
Aug 20, 2011, 12:32 PM
Look ma, no hands!

Old news?

I'm an old guy new to forums and R/C helicopters. Bought the MCX2 a few weeks ago and am having a lot of fun. Way back at the beginning of this thread someone asked how to increase fwd spd; a lot of people responded with this or that $$$ upgrade. My local hobby pro told me about this simple adjustment: The links btwn servos and swashplate can be easily lengthened or shortened; longer links = more aggressive flying. The plastic ends are threaded onto the wires - just take the links off the servos and swashplate and turn the plastic ends CCW to lengthen, CW to shorten.
Aug 20, 2011, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim
I'm an old guy new to forums and R/C helicopters. Bought the MCX2 a few weeks ago and am having a lot of fun. Way back at the beginning of this thread someone asked how to increase fwd spd; a lot of people responded with this or that $$$ upgrade. My local hobby pro told me about this simple adjustment: The links btwn servos and swashplate can be easily lengthened or shortened; longer links = more aggressive flying. The plastic ends are threaded onto the wires - just take the links off the servos and swashplate and turn the plastic ends CCW to lengthen, CW to shorten.
Also, the mcx2 has 2 flying modes which is default and advanced. Advanced is when you switch the links to the longer balls on the swashplate. It picks up the speed a fair bit and makes it more fun. Keep in mind though, that the faster you make it, the less stable its going to become when turning, simply due to it being a coaxial.
Aug 20, 2011, 01:18 PM
Look ma, no hands!
I don't know much about aeronautics, but is it possible that in a hard turn the blade that is moving in the direction of the turn stalls out because the air moving over it is too slow? I don't see how that could be prevented in any hard turn at speed.
Aug 20, 2011, 01:47 PM
Look ma, no hands!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay
Also, the mcx2 has 2 flying modes which is default and advanced. Advanced is when you switch the links to the longer balls on the swashplate. It picks up the speed a fair bit and makes it more fun. Keep in mind though, that the faster you make it, the less stable its going to become when turning, simply due to it being a coaxial.
Maybe I was using the wrong terminology in the earlier post - I was talking about the linkages btwn the servos and the swashplate arms, not btwn the swashplate and the lower blade.
Aug 20, 2011, 02:16 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim
Maybe I was using the wrong terminology in the earlier post - I was talking about the linkages btwn the servos and the swashplate arms, not btwn the swashplate and the lower blade.
I would seriously consider DoomsDay advise and switch the links from the short balls on the swash to the long balls on the swash going up to the bottom set of blades. If you go messing with the servo push rods, what you are doing is putting more throw on the swash and in turn will bind the swash (not good). I don't know about these little guys but, on larger coax's you will separate the swash with too much throw. Not to mention you will loose stable hover. There are better ways to obtain FFF. A little weight in the nose...but again, you loose the stable hover. Many love the stable hover for spot landings and playing many heli games

Hint: If you don't know the name of a particular part on the heli (for now) break out the manual and use the part number as a reference and many times it will mention the part name

BTW, welcome to RCG..

Mike.

Quick Reply