Apr 17, 2012, 11:23 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

ESC/Motors for a custom designed 1/5 scale project

I'm working with a team at my university to design a 1/5 scale off-road vehicle for a specialized purpose which I cannot disclose here.

We're using a chassis taken from this car:
http://www.redcatracing.com/RC-Cars/...-XB-E-Electric

As you can see, this is a 4-wheel drive vehicle.

We stripped out the stock motor and ESC, along with the driveshaft to make room for specialized electronic equipment that the vehicle will be carrying.

We are now designing our own drive-train for the car, and want to use 2 brushless motors, powered by a 4S LiPo (14.8V) setup.
That is, the car will remain 4wd, but will be powered by a front and rear motor.

Here's the big question:

What ESC and motor setup should we use?
I'm asking here because I'm sure there are RC enthusiasts with greater knowledge in this area than any of us on the team have.

Here are the requirements based on the design:
The ESC should be sensored and must support 4S LiPo power.
The brushless motors (x2) need to provide high torque rather than high speed (i.e. higher turns / lower kv): This is because the vehicle will be quite a bit heavier than stock and is not going to be driven at "bashing" speeds. Rather, it needs to have very good low speed control.

So, what do you guys think?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 18, 2012, 11:46 AM
Outdoor Extremist
I am not sure why you want to use two motor and esc set ups instead of just one, do you plan on having each motor and esc paired with a steering drivetrain or what please provide a little more on what your going for
Apr 19, 2012, 08:24 PM
Thread OP
To clarify, we want to run 2 motors off of a single ESC, with front wheel steering only.
There seems to be no physical way to have 4wd using a single motor because there's no room on our chassis for a driveshaft anymore.
Apr 19, 2012, 08:35 PM
2 BL motors requires 2 esc's.....

imgumby
Apr 20, 2012, 08:03 AM
Car Junkie trying to fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by imgumby
2 BL motors requires 2 esc's.....

imgumby
Especially if you require sensored motors.

It sounds like your making some sort of FPV or robotic arm crawler. I would take a look at this. It will let you set up and run 2 ESC's off a controller.

https://www.ckrccrawlers.com/5450-no...bb6db3ea162073
Apr 20, 2012, 12:52 PM
Given that there is a low speed/high torque requirement, would a large brushed motor like a DeWalt drill motor be a better choice?
Apr 20, 2012, 02:42 PM
Car Junkie trying to fly
Also perhaps a couple brushed Traxxas Titan 775 motors and ESC's would do the trick. Alot more cost effective than a dual 1/8th scale sensored brushless setup x2.
Apr 21, 2012, 06:18 PM
Outdoor Extremist
yeah i agree with what the guys are saying you may want a heavy brushed motor because two brushless motors on one esc is probably gonna end in disaster for that esc
Apr 21, 2012, 06:33 PM
Car Junkie trying to fly
I would recommend 2 brushed esc so you can use dig if needed.

I am guessing they may want crawler characteristics.
Apr 21, 2012, 11:09 PM
Outdoor Extremist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2kGTP
I would recommend 2 brushed esc so you can use dig if needed.

I am guessing they may want crawler characteristics.
i think hes onto something here because crawler setups are mad slow and insane amounts of torque

Quick Reply