Dec 24, 2010, 08:38 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

guillows 1000 kits - Which one is easiest to fly?

Hi i'm considering building one of the Guillows 1000 kits as an RC. This is a long term project and something i will only fly when i've built and got used to my Pix -e major that i'm currently building(thanks RCME).

I really like the Dauntless and the Corsair but was wondering which one was the easiest to fly. I've heard that the Dauntless is almost like a trainer due to its large wing area.

Thanks for any advice and Merry Christmas.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 24, 2010, 08:46 AM
It flew once before...
Hi npowell28,

I have built the Dauntless ( some time ago ) for 3 CH ( A/E/T ) and flies great with a Hobby Lobby 400XT and 1320 2s lipo . It is no trainer though and has to be "flown" . It doesn't have any nasty habits and slows down nicely . Maybe a Mountain Models Hellcat would be a great choice . Goes together nicely , and flies awesome ( plenty of builds on here )

I didn't do a build thread because at the time I did not have a camera , but you can see it here

There might be some others of the Dauntless and Corsair in the Guillows thread at the top of this forums "sticky" threads
Cheers ,
-John
Last edited by jofrost; Dec 24, 2010 at 08:53 AM.
Dec 24, 2010, 08:48 AM
Thread OP
is it fairly easy to fly like i've been told?
Dec 24, 2010, 08:59 AM
It flew once before...
Quote:
Originally Posted by npowell28
is it fairly easy to fly like i've been told?
I don't know your flying ability or experience , but I'm probably low "intermediate" at best ...but that said , I don't know if I would call it "easy" , just have to be on the sticks the whole time . Will slow down nicely for landings though .

-John
Dec 24, 2010, 09:08 AM
Neophyte hacker
I've seen a Dauntless fly and it was not a trainer.

For any of the Guillows kits, to get them light enough to fly well you need to do a lot of lightening work and replace a lot of the wood. There is a thread on Guillows kits in here that has a ton of info on them.

I'd recommend one of Midkiff designs from Dare, any of the Dumas or Herr, Tritle's Dauntless, Mountain Models Hellcat, or one of our (Manzano Laser) 30" warbirds. They all fly well as they come.

Since you are a novice flier I'd recommend some other planes first.

charlie
Dec 24, 2010, 11:00 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb
I've seen a Dauntless fly and it was not a trainer.

For any of the Guillows kits, to get them light enough to fly well you need to do a lot of lightening work and replace a lot of the wood. There is a thread on Guillows kits in here that has a ton of info on them.

I'd recommend one of Midkiff designs from Dare, any of the Dumas or Herr, Tritle's Dauntless, Mountain Models Hellcat, or one of our (Manzano Laser) 30" warbirds. They all fly well as they come.

Since you are a novice flier I'd recommend some other planes first.

charlie
I don't suppose they are available in the UK are they?
Dec 24, 2010, 11:39 AM
Big gov never Works
The best airfoil is the Hellcat. It also has the best moments. I have built every Guillows there is. And atleast 12 of the Hellcats ranging in weights from 9oz to 30oz. Each flew great according to it's intention of modification.

Fuzz
Dec 24, 2010, 11:53 AM
Still the "Pro"-crastinator...
Hey npowell,

I can personally recommend the Guillow's Hellcat, having converted one myself. It flies well and was forgiving enough to serve as our first aileron model, following training on a Pico Stik and then a Herr Piper Cub. It's a bit of work to convert, especially if you end up with hard, heavy wood in the kit and then have to cut out a fresh set of parts from good wood. I've also heard the Mountain Models Hellcat is very similar, with the advantage of being designed for RC.

I did a build thread and then a restoration thread here if you're still interested in a Guillow's:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232946

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1110537

Don't bother with the extensive lightening holes I drilled into mine, with good wood, you won't need to use such heroic measures. For power, a brushed IPS A drive motor on 3s, a Feigao 12mm inrunner in the same gearbox, or a Blue Wonder outrunner will give it increasingly spirited performance.

Steve
Last edited by Steve85; Dec 25, 2010 at 10:20 AM.
Dec 24, 2010, 04:03 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Martin
The best airfoil is the Hellcat. It also has the best moments. I have built every Guillows there is. And atleast 12 of the Hellcats ranging in weights from 9oz to 30oz. Each flew great according to it's intention of modification.

Fuzz
I have the Guillows Hellcat, and also had the Great Planes foamy Hellcat. The Great Planes foamy Hellcat's airfoil is basically an identical copy. The overall scale, and wing-tail incidences and tail section appear to the identical also. They may actually have copied it intentionally. For whatever reason, I've still never flown mine. I even have a 125% Guillows Hellcat that I still have not flown. I can say that the P47 is a great flyer, and still have it also.
Bill
Dec 24, 2010, 04:22 PM
Big gov never Works
Bill, what are you waiting for? You're missing out.

I've built about half as many P-47's. All except the first, got an airfoil change, as I did recently with the 38" P-39. With out it, it's a touchie flying airframe, with limited speed change, as compared to the Hellcat. The Stuka, P-47, Corsair have FF rubber airfoils, w/sharp LE's. They fly great, but best at a narrow speed margin. And when they do stall, it is abrupt, unless flying very slow.

Of course, the lighter the "flatties" are, the less of the problem. One thing really novel, about the Guillows Corsair, It's the only F4U-4 kitted. The Marine Ground attack version. Sterling had the F4U-5. Both Korean F4U's. (I may have those reversed, been a while) The -4 had double chin intakes, the -5 a single, notable differences.

Fuzz
Dec 24, 2010, 04:23 PM
Neophyte hacker
Quote:
Originally Posted by npowell28
I don't suppose they are available in the UK are they?
If you mean on a store shelf, then you can probably find Dumas and Herr in hobby shops. Midkiff sells a lot of his stuff over there through the FF folks. Dare might even have a dealer over there somewhere.

We are strictly mail order.

charlie
Dec 24, 2010, 08:29 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Martin
Bill, what are you waiting for? You're missing out.

I've built about half as many P-47's. All except the first, got an airfoil change, as I did recently with the 38" P-39. With out it, it's a touchie flying airframe, with limited speed change, as compared to the Hellcat. The Stuka, P-47, Corsair have FF rubber airfoils, w/sharp LE's. They fly great, but best at a narrow speed margin. And when they do stall, it is abrupt, unless flying very slow.

Of course, the lighter the "flatties" are, the less of the problem. One thing really novel, about the Guillows Corsair, It's the only F4U-4 kitted. The Marine Ground attack version. Sterling had the F4U-5. Both Korean F4U's. (I may have those reversed, been a while) The -4 had double chin intakes, the -5 a single, notable differences.

Fuzz
Yeah, I need to get the Hellcats out. I built a second wing for the P47 with a modified, semi-symmetrical airfoil. The stock airfoil with stock incidence was horrible. It looked terrible also, as you see this beautiful, beefy P47 airfoil with a well rounded LE on the box art, only to open it up and find the Aquilla.
Dec 24, 2010, 09:20 PM
Big gov never Works
Quite, true, Bill. Amazing how Tom Barker designed some perfectly for Rubber and some thinking of us. I have flown the Hellcats with power from IPS-DXA, to O.S black case .15.'' The Dauntless's flew great after adding a few deg of washout. The high double taper could get you into trouble. But has a good symetrical airfoil.

Yes, the box lids have sold many Guillows kits on "dreams".

Merry Xmas, to all! (I'm not a politically correct person)

Fuzz
Dec 24, 2010, 09:40 PM
have you heard of Wilga-2000? it is very popular.

Quick Reply