Feb 17, 2013, 05:55 PM
More Speed Indeed!

Thanks to All,

Well after being a pest with question after question, I think it's about as ready as it going to get! I have the balance right at 3 3/4" and we will go from there, with that sliding battery tray (pretty cool) it will be easy to adjust the C.G. The throws are pretty high but I can switch to low rates if need be, plus a little expo here and there. The RTF weight is 11 LB 2 OZ, no one has mentioned the weight, but I guess it is what is.
Thanks again,
Mike
to remove ads between posts
Feb 17, 2013, 06:51 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
The wind is wicked here so I decided to run it up in the garage, wow, plenty of power! I didn't charge my batteries first (they were near storage) but it won't go up too much, 84 Amps right fan and 87 Amps left fan, and they really push a lot of air. This thing is going to perform like crazy at full power or fly scale for 7+ minutes @ half power. Hopefully get out Wednesday and get some video plus some playing with only one of the two fans active (see if Pablo has the stones to try and takeoff with one fan!)...

Jack
Feb 17, 2013, 07:07 PM
Stay Thirsty My Friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossinarizona
Hey Lee,
No I am also into scale gas planes, building a twin P38, time to buy the motors, 2 DA85's

Those TWIN P-38's are especially tricky, I would go with the single engine P-38 myself.
Feb 17, 2013, 07:19 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Quote:
Well after being a pest with question after question, I think it's about as ready as it going to get! I have the balance right at 3 3/4" and we will go from there, with that sliding battery tray (pretty cool) it will be easy to adjust the C.G. The throws are pretty high but I can switch to low rates if need be, plus a little expo here and there. The RTF weight is 11 LB 2 OZ, no one has mentioned the weight, but I guess it is what is.
Thanks again,
Mike
Looks good! You have plans to fly this week?

Jack
Feb 17, 2013, 08:32 PM
3DHOG
Jack
thanks for sharing your setup and ideas........its funny today at the field while flying I thought of the same plastic type covering for the wing tips and was going to chase that idea down tonight and low and behold you have already done it......great minds! lol!!!! thanks again for making it a little easier.

and Tim Wan if your around.....what kind of paint did you use on this model?....what ever it is it is the best paint I've seen for bonding to epo. I already have a scratch to fix not sure if I did it or came that way but any tips for repair on this would be helpfull besides fill, sand and paint.
Feb 17, 2013, 08:45 PM
More Speed Indeed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd
Jack
thanks for sharing your setup and ideas........its funny today at the field while flying I thought of the same plastic type covering for the wing tips and was going to chase that idea down tonight and low and behold you have already done it......great minds! lol!!!! thanks again for making it a little easier.

and Tim Wan if your around.....what kind of paint did you use on this model?....what ever it is it is the best paint I've seen for bonding to epo. I already have a scratch to fix not sure if I did it or came that way but any tips for repair on this would be helpfull besides fill, sand and paint.
I use this stuff from Tower link below, it's for cars but works well to protect wing tips from those not so perfect landings. In this case it really makes the winglets a lot stiffer.
Be careful about talking about paint, someone may chime in about Home Depot

Mike
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSXV1&P=7
Feb 17, 2013, 09:44 PM
3DHOG
thanks Mike
did that have an adhesive on it or did you have to glue it down

Jack
cant find the 3m film you posted, does the 3m film have adhesive or did you glue it down?
Jack I really like how yours came out looks fantastic I am trying to find the 3m stuff but no luck
Feb 17, 2013, 10:15 PM
It's watts for dinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter
InvisibleMask.com

You have ordered the following:
======================
Product code : 3M18SHEET
Product name : 18inch 3M Film by the Foot
Price : 8.75
Quantity ordered : 5
Amount : 43.75
======================
Thanks Jack. Did you get the Scotchgard or the VentureShield?
Feb 17, 2013, 10:16 PM
It's watts for dinner
Quote:

Jack
cant find the 3m film you posted, does the 3m film have adhesive or did you glue it down?
Try here: http://invisiblemask.com/bulkfilm.htm

As I understand it, the film is backed with its own adhesive.
Feb 17, 2013, 10:22 PM
More Speed Indeed!
Quote:
thanks Mike
did that have an adhesive on it or did you have to glue it down

Jack
Jack I really like how yours came out looks fantastic I am trying to find the 3m stuff but no luck
It's just peel and stick, and very sticky!
Feb 17, 2013, 10:36 PM
3DHOG
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjw985
Try here: http://invisiblemask.com/bulkfilm.htm

As I understand it, the film is backed with its own adhesive.
thanks bud I did find that site and I guess the 8mil stuff should work but Jack said 14mil so I was looking for that
Feb 17, 2013, 10:54 PM
3DHOG
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjw985
Thanks Jack. Did you get the Scotchgard or the VentureShield?
ok so I have caught up with you LOL!!!!!
scotchgaurd or venturshield
Feb 18, 2013, 12:02 AM
Done it all
I use alcohol mixed with epoxy, painted on to add protection. The 3m stuff is a good idea, but when that plastic gets scraped it gets real ugly.

Don't forget, Home depot to match the paint. LOL
Last edited by SCALEFAN; Feb 18, 2013 at 01:15 AM.
Feb 18, 2013, 01:30 AM
3DHOG
couldnt wait.......went with VentureShield.
Feb 18, 2013, 01:42 AM
3DHOG
Quote:
Thanks again,
Mike
I just noticed the blue on the snorkel, did yours come that way or did you do that. it looks great! what paint did you use?, did you go to home depot for paint matching?

Quick Reply