Apr 21, 2011, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucisse
My CL-415 has been ready for maiden flight for quite some times now but winter here just don't seem to let go We just got 4'' on fresh snow last night and winds are quite gusty Snow alone is not a problem but windy conditions are...
I would actually prefer snow on maiden. You can abort takeoff if your CG is all wrong, and landing a brand new aircraft first time is easier and less risk of damage on snow, just slowly glide it in and slide on the snow Hope you get less wind soon for your maiden.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2011, 02:06 PM
Ready to go. Just finished tonight and it is too dark to maiden. Argh.
Hobbyking CL-415 WOT test: 45A (0 min 21 sec)
Apr 21, 2011, 02:21 PM
AP-stick
i'm in middle construction right now

a little teaser while we wait for more video:
Canadair cl 215 (3 min 58 sec)
Apr 21, 2011, 02:51 PM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
You think just like me! There is no way I would maiden this plane out of a pound or lake...just in case even if my CG is right on the spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfse
I would actually prefer snow on maiden. You can abort takeoff if your CG is all wrong, and landing a brand new aircraft first time is easier and less risk of damage on snow, just slowly glide it in and slide on the snow Hope you get less wind soon for your maiden.
Apr 22, 2011, 07:32 PM

Maiden flight = SUCCESS !!!!!

Boy this was fun!!!! This plane is just so cool !!! Weather conditions were perfect after dinner around 6h00 pm, winds blowing at first at around 10-15 km/h ands then on the second flight, nothing or barely no wind.

I'll reviews the footage and will post videos....with a funny ending....

In the mean time, everyone should pay attention to the following:

Be sure to change the platic rod ends on the rods use to stiffen the wings to the fuse, all 4 broke off during flight. Also be sure to glue the wooden part on the wings where the rod ends attaches, both side did let go. Also be sure to put some packing tape if taking off/landing from snow/grass because the paint is cheap and so is the foam...other then that, this plane is really cool to fly.

Also be sure to use d/r on the elevator, 100% throw will surely surprise more then one... I've use d/r set at 55% for the elevator and it's great, more then that you should put expo.
Last edited by saucisse; Apr 22, 2011 at 07:38 PM.
Apr 22, 2011, 07:38 PM
KC9TPL- Get Legit
Sweet. I have the popcorn ready....

Can you post your parts? I'm still trying to decide on servos.
Apr 22, 2011, 08:43 PM
If it's R/C, it's all good.
Quote:
Be sure to change the platic rod ends on the rods use to stiffen the wings to the fuse, all 4 broke off during flight. Also be sure to glue the wooden part on the wings where the rod ends attaches, both side did let go.
I'll back that up. The wing brace mounts are barely glued on the fuse too. I had broken ones right in the box.

I think taking a popsicle type stick and running it all the way through both sides and using those as the wing brace mounts would work and be solid.

Thanks for the tips on the rod ends too. I'll swap them to brass.
Apr 22, 2011, 11:18 PM
Ailerons servos are Hitech HS82MG
Elevator is a Hitech HS65MG
Rudder servo is a Turnigy TG9e 9g micro servo.

Lipo pack is a Flightmax 3s 3000mah 20c
Motors are FC 28-22 Brushless Outrunner 1200kv
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5354

ESC's are Hobbyking SS Series 25-30A ESC
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6460

Stock prop for now but have 2-3 different props I want to test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloomingtonFPV
Sweet. I have the popcorn ready....

Can you post your parts? I'm still trying to decide on servos.
Apr 22, 2011, 11:21 PM
Ok here's the 1st video I did of the maiden flight and the 2nd flight. Footage onboard from my 720p HD Keychain and ground footage from the GoPro HD in 720p. My 2nd video from the 3rd flight is uploading right now...this is the one with the funny end, will post it later on.

CL-415 maiden flight and flight #2 (7 min 26 sec)
Apr 22, 2011, 11:44 PM
And the last one!! We had a blast tonight flying the CL-415 with 2 Skywalkers.

3rd flight of the CL-415 (3 min 55 sec)
Apr 23, 2011, 07:43 AM
KC9TPL- Get Legit
Nothing like a walk of shame where you have to climb at the end. Any damage?

You know, in many parts of the world they have this thing called spring that typically starts in early April. That looked cold!
Apr 23, 2011, 08:00 AM
Saucisse,
Looks like it's a winner, thanks for posting the videos and it appears to be a very stable airplane!

Oh brother, just went to the Hobby King website and I knew it was too good to be true, CL-415 is on backorder!! @#$%^&*()_+, BUMMER!! Have you ever really wanted something from Hobby King, Nitroplanes, etc.? Been there done that! Truthfully, one can be waiting for months!! Better get this airplane out of my head!! You're lucky you got one already!
Last edited by Fast Freddy; Apr 23, 2011 at 08:16 AM.
Apr 23, 2011, 08:18 AM
This is really a wonderful plane seriously. I was expecting way much less such a plane made out of EPS....before flying it I wish it would be made out of EPO (and still wish) but really for the price this is really a sweet plane!

Damages were limited to this:

Small dent on the wing...

...elevator hinge (not enough glue on it ) got pulled out...

... and wooden plate which didn't have much glue either so better reinforce this before flying it in the 1st place...

Oh, this is how the bottom of the fuse looks like after 3 flights,should be better when launching/landing on water

Apr 23, 2011, 08:25 AM
Well got it the very first minutes it showed up on HK website and there was plenty of stock for like 5-6 days, 2 friends of mine also got this plane.

BloomingtonFPV: It wasn't that bad, no wind at the end and around 45 we had such a blast that we didn't care about how the weather was. Gotta love being able to fly in the evening because the sun is setting late and winds are calming down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Freddy
Saucisse,
Looks like it's a winner, thanks for posting the videos and it appears to be a very stable airplane!

Oh brother, just went to the Hobby King website and I knew it was too good to be true, CL-415 is on backorder!! @#$%^&*()_+, BUMMER!! Have you ever really wanted something from Hobby King, Nitroplanes, etc.? Been there done that! Truthfully, one can be waiting for months!! Better get this airplane out of my head!! You're lucky you got one already!
Apr 23, 2011, 08:44 AM
AP-stick
Quote:
And the last one!! We had a blast tonight flying the CL-415 with 2 Skywalkers.
thanks to share Saucisse

really nice flight... i was thinking that this bird, being such heavy, would
react like a bric but your ground take off show lots of power
& agility ! look perfect for water take off

agree with the bottom, will add transparent tape...

i really enjoy the back view of the camera !

what is your onboard hd camera ? key chain HD ?
this one ?

do you have a link where you buy it from ?

where was the onboard hd cam... rudder top ?

i plan to fly it in fpv mode using this king of view... being
so cool !

Quick Reply