This thread is privately moderated by PittSpecial, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 02, 2012, 05:16 AM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Build Log

GWS SLOW STICK with Brushless Power!

Hi Guys,

No, this is not my first model or Slow Stick, however, it was supposed to be a Trainer that I gave away with Transmitter (JR Quattro) and it was returned to me due to the target person just decided RC Airplanes is not his cup of tea and instead went into Sail & Electric Power Boats.

First I had to change out the Brushless motor that I handed to the learning subject because the mount busted on impact and also the Brushless motor that came with this Slow Stick just had too high of Kv.

I selected the BP Hobbies A2217/9 (950Kv) Brushless out-runner motor and using the same generic 20-AMP Brushless ESC. Using the smaller 3-Cell, 1350mAH, 25C, Li-POLY by Thunder Power, I suspect that will provide good amount of power to swing the APC Slow Flyer 10 X 7 propeller.

There was really no easy manner to secure the motor with the Cross (X) motor mount to the Plastic GWS square molded stick mount so, I went ahead and used high quality small size Tie-Wraps.

The receiver is famous Castle Creations BERG 4-channel with Digital Signal Processing (DSP) super narrow band 72-Mhz.

The servos are Hitec HS-82MG so, these will last a long time.

Oh, yes, I almost forgot.....if you take a careful look at some of the pictures you will see that I used some short hollow aluminum standoffs for the rubber band wing attachment method.....an improvement so, I can use the larger rubber bands!

A few pictures....

Stay Tuned for a Flight Report!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2012, 12:00 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP

Flight Summary! January 2nd, 2012

Arrived at EDWARDS right at 10:30am and I wasted no time and took my new "SLOW STICK" out from the trunk with battery all ready, pre-installed and turned ON my trusted JR Quattro 4-Channel 72-Mhz Transmitter and then, connected the 3-Cell, 1350mAH, 25C, Li-POLY (Thunder Power) to the ESC and did a careful pre-flight check and I commanded her to take off and did so with nothing more than 1/2 throttle.

Yes, it was windy but, the wind came and left so, I had time to wait for a low spot. She zoomed up like a home sick dove and I quickly throttle back between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle and she looked like a kite without any string.

The landing was just majestic as it came down like a Harrier Jump Jet!

It was a very short flight of nothing more than 3 minutes just to check out all systems and all past with flying COLORS!
Jan 03, 2012, 12:47 PM
Watt Waster

Great Report and ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial
Arrived at EDWARDS right at 10:30am ... and I commanded her to take off and did so with nothing more than 1/2 throttle. ... She zoomed up like a home sick dove and I quickly throttle back between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle and she looked like a kite without any string. The landing was just majestic as it came down like a Harrier Jump Jet! It was a very short flight of nothing more than 3 minutes just to check out all systems and all past with flying COLORS!
Come to think if it, I have one just like it, but need to re-motor, or re-prop since the last time I ran the motor up it go hot after around 2 minutes at WOT. For some reason I haven't tried to fly it yet. Probably because of too many other projects to finish. I am wondering what you might think would be a less aggressive, but adequate brushless motor for the bird? It reads like your flyer is a bit over-powered. What do you think? I am thinking I should go for a much slower, less powered version for a trainer, just in case my son takes an interest and wants to try another go.
Jan 04, 2012, 09:31 PM
always something to learn...
Tsavah, you may want to check out this thread:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...+servo&page=37
There are 9 parts dedicated to the slow stick, and its many, many iterations, including tons of motor/prop combos. also, heads up R/C has good suggestions, with cheap prices, and $2.00 shipping to CONUS. Here is one I have tried on my slow stick:
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...2C-28mm/Detail
There are just too many choices to list them all, but inexpensive choices abound.-------Metalguy
Jan 04, 2012, 09:45 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Howdy Fellas!

BP Hobbies A2217-9
Generic 20-AMP Brushless ESC
3-Cell, 1350mAH, 25C, Thunder Power Li-POLY
APC "Slow Flyer" 10 X 7 Propeller
Castle Creations BERG 4-Channel DSP 72-Mhz Receiver

Amazing is just not the word I have to use here with this power system I installed on my newest GWS Slow Stick!

It is awesome!!!

Just take a look!

Non other than our famous Michael Wargo performed the Video capture who is an expert 3D flyer and he himself found my Slow Stick to shine in the many maneuvers I put it through in the short flight!

GWS Slow Stick 46 inch span with BP A2217-9 01-04-2012.wmv (1 min 12 sec)
Jan 04, 2012, 10:16 PM
Larry P
Hey good flying machine but you need to get a cheap key chain cam on there and take some videos in flight! nothing better than to watch teh scenery while you fly. I like the idea of wire ties on the motor mount thanks for the video and ideas! Larry
Jan 04, 2012, 10:57 PM
Watt Waster

200 Watts and ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy
Tsavah, you may want to ... There are 9 parts dedicated to the slow stick, and its many, many iterations, including tons of motor/prop combos. also, heads up R/C has good suggestions, with cheap prices, and $2.00 shipping ... is one I have tried on my slow stick:
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...2C-28mm/Detail
There are just too many choices to list them all, but inexpensive choices abound. ---Metalguy
Thanks for the suggestions and I have ordered from Heads Up R/C more than a few times. Good people in my experience. It does look like some good choices in the 200 watt, 800-900 kV range. I have some battery packs to pick from already, and a few key chain cameras to play with. Sooner or later I will have to actually do something with this plane before the paint fades. I did already stiffen the landing gear by adding more wire since it seemed what was provided was just too weak. I might be a combination of the heavier batteries and motor. I still need to see what other folks are saying is a good servo for it. I have some generic (read cheap) 9 gram servo on it at the moment. At some point I want to play around with different wings. Already bent the rudder while in storage, moving it around too often to make room for something else. I do want to get her up for a few hours since I like slow flyers, but we tend to be windy, and at this time of year, it might be a while before things calm down. Thanks for the advice everyone and I am still reading the other thread.

Quick Reply