Aug 13, 2012, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1
but i was using the y harness in my balsa extra and it was flying just fine. why would a y harness cause problems in the ailerons? I am using a AR500 rx, so its 5 channel. how do I plug in two aileron wires when there is only one aileron port?
It really shouldn't matter. Using a separate channel for each aileron allows you to program the end points independently. With a Y cable and doing it mechanically, you might be able to get it spot on, but maybe not. There might be some other reasons to.

On the thrust angle, the only plane I had to mess with was my 38 epp slick. Those are a little different but I had to put in a lot of right rudder to keep it from dog walking. After some research the rule is if you need right rudder, then the motor needs to point more right. All the other surfaces were normal. One washer did it. It might have been my build but I was glad to get it fixed. I just sold it to get this baby. Might have been some other ways to test and fix it but this one worked for me.

Wish I had my servos for this Edge!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 13, 2012, 09:36 PM
3d addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj
It really shouldn't matter. Using a separate channel for each aileron allows you to program the end points independently. With a Y cable and doing it mechanically, you might be able to get it spot on, but maybe not. There might be some other reasons to.

On the thrust angle, the only plane I had to mess with was my 38 epp slick. Those are a little different but I had to put in a lot of right rudder to keep it from dog walking. After some research the rule is if you need right rudder, then the motor needs to point more right. All the other surfaces were normal. One washer did it. It might have been my build but I was glad to get it fixed. I just sold it to get this baby. Might have been some other ways to test and fix it but this one worked for me.

Wish I had my servos for this Edge!
Hmmm I have a plane that needs quite a bit of right rudder after a few unscheduled landings. EPP plane. Wonder if adding a bit of right thrust like you are saying will fix that. Maybe a washer under that side. Might give it a try.
Aug 13, 2012, 09:41 PM
EPP is EPP. FoamTac, Welders or Uhu Por should work well. Thick CA takes a while to cure unless you kick it. I'm going to use Welders where I can. I might experiment with FoamTac or Uhu Por to hold the hinges. I'll soak the motor mount with thin CA or maybe even epoxy. The landing gear box will get a coat of epoxy (like the buck huck).

Here's what happens when CA migrates to the wrong place. This was a quick field repair to get flying again as soon as possible.
Last edited by Jboy90277; Aug 13, 2012 at 09:58 PM.
Aug 13, 2012, 09:55 PM
The brown truck came by today. Finally got the fabled 51" AJ Slick and the EPP Edge.

So, there definitely is a significant amount of right thrust built into the motor mount judging from the difference in the amount of square carbon fiber tube protruding from the top. I don't see much of a down thrust, though. I might just go ahead and use washers on the right side when mounting the motor to see if it does away with the issue. The ailerons also look like they'll flex from control horn to tip if you're heavy on the throttle, which I tend to be - will have to think of something to do if that becomes an issue. It may not, given how light this kit is. I'm also going to insert some carbon fiber rods in the square fiber tubes. After seeing those things shatter on Chopper62's plane, I think it needs some support. Off to build!
Aug 13, 2012, 10:11 PM
fly and then fly some more!
I would try to line the ailerons up level with the horizontal stab. Or you could make it so the ailerons are in the middle of the wing.(Not level with the top or bottom of the wing, but in the middle)[/QUOTE]

I was kind of wondering that. i did first line up with ailerons with the horizontal stab and that has where they have been for the first two flights.
Aug 14, 2012, 06:56 AM
Team Thrasher
ordered my edge last night!
Aug 14, 2012, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr
One bit of warning. Thick grass over 1 inch tall ripped my gear off on my high alpha landing. I plopped the thing down with almost no forward speed but the grass grabbed the LG and it collapsed breaking the LG forward bulkhead. It was shocking how easily it folded. I brought it home and could see through the ESC hole that the bulkhead was still in there just separated. I pressed it back into position and CA'd it in place. I used some thick CA to reinforce the bulkhead where it attached to the side fuse formers. I reinserted the gear and everything was as good as new.

I test flew the plane in the neighborhood street in front of my house and had a landing miss the street. I put it down on the lawn and watched it flip over onto its back and cringed fearing another LG repair. The additional strengthening of my filet CA joint on the bulkhead and former proved itself good. I suggest a little thick CA to the front of that LG former before flying might add some longevity to the area.
Same thing happened to me this morning. Even though I'm still waiting on better servos for the ailerons, I took it up and spent 2 minutes trimming it perfectly. Put in a nano 1600 shoved under the wing and the cg was pretty neutral. Noticed if I pull a wall, fast or slow(nearly post stall), it wanted to dive left. I missed covering the dip once and it eased into the grass, not that hard. Broke out the gear. Noticed 2 things, this gear seems to be a lot stiffer than the buck huck and 1.5 buck huck and 2) the ply that holds it in place is maybe 1/16" thick. It's an easy fix to scab over another piece of ply. I didn't glue in the gear or the top piece of balsa that slides in from the bottom. Don't think this would have made any difference since it popped it out from the bottom. The gear is in there plenty tight, it's not falling out. The plane is a real floater and normal landings shouldn't be a problem. But if you dump it on a harrier in high grass be careful. Also on trimming I noticed my right aileron looks nice and flat, left aileron is up a good bit(correcting a right roll). On a vertical the plane was straight. I still haven't messed with the elevator.
Aug 14, 2012, 08:38 AM
So no one has told me what exactly the sfg's do.....??
Aug 14, 2012, 08:40 AM
Aid in KE flight, they provide addition lift. Without them just the fuse/thrust provide all the lift.
Aug 14, 2012, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj
Same thing happened to me this morning. Even though I'm still waiting on better servos for the ailerons, I took it up and spent 2 minutes trimming it perfectly. Put in a nano 1600 shoved under the wing and the cg was pretty neutral. Noticed if I pull a wall, fast or slow(nearly post stall), it wanted to dive left. I missed covering the dip once and it eased into the grass, not that hard. Broke out the gear. Noticed 2 things, this gear seems to be a lot stiffer than the buck huck and 1.5 buck huck and 2) the ply that holds it in place is maybe 1/16" thick. It's an easy fix to scab over another piece of ply. I didn't glue in the gear or the top piece of balsa that slides in from the bottom. Don't think this would have made any difference since it popped it out from the bottom. The gear is in there plenty tight, it's not falling out. The plane is a real floater and normal landings shouldn't be a problem. But if you dump it on a harrier in high grass be careful. Also on trimming I noticed my right aileron looks nice and flat, left aileron is up a good bit(correcting a right roll). On a vertical the plane was straight. I still haven't messed with the elevator.
So your having right roll tendencies too huh? Doesnt something seem odd here? I was not expecting a 3dhs plane to have issues just flying level and straight.....
Aug 14, 2012, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1
So your having right roll tendencies too huh? Doesnt something seem odd here? I was not expecting a 3dhs plane to have issues just flying level and straight.....
Seems that way, I need to dissect the problem a bit more. Play with the rudder, etc. Maybe check the laterial balance.
Aug 14, 2012, 08:52 AM
Free Beer
hey scarface i know you got one and you are the one im counting on. i want this plane because it looks to be the perfect size for my front yard. BUT if you otice ANY flexing tell me befor i buy it!
Aug 14, 2012, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3derik
ordered my edge last night!
Hopefully they ship it today since they are closed starting tomorrow through the end of the week.
Aug 14, 2012, 09:04 AM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
Ok. Now we're getting somewhere. Multiple planes rolling right means something. My ailerons look the same as described above after trimming when looking at the plane from above. Left side is up, right side looks flat but really isn't when looking from directly behind or comparing to the Edge graphic on the side.

What props are you guys using? I used an 11x5.5E with the 2810 and an 11x7E with the 2610. Anyone using a 12x6E?
Last edited by SD One.; Aug 14, 2012 at 10:57 AM. Reason: clarification
Aug 14, 2012, 09:54 AM
11x5.5 turnigy 35-30 1100 black sk series(older ones maybe).

Quick Reply