Feb 10, 2010, 11:05 PM
Flying White Rabbit
Thread OP
Discussion

Vuzix Wrap 920 glasses for FPV

Has anyone seen these ? , I was thinking that this could be cool, ok for FPV and wouldn't make you look like too much of a dork.

They are being sold on eBay...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vuzix-Wrap-920-2...item53df4b7a12

The blurb:-

These Brand New Vuzix Wrap 920 eyewear glasses give users the ability to watch video from your compatible audio/video device. This plug and play device provides users with 24bit True Color, on twin resolution 640x480 LCD displays) that provide users a viewing screen that is equivalent to a 67in screen at 10ft. It works with almost all PCs and laptops with VGA ports (requires VGA adpater, not included) and many other audio/video devices such as the Apple ipod, iphone, touch, portable DVD players, call phones with video out, camcorders, etc

Mr_B 8)
to remove ads between posts
Feb 11, 2010, 05:25 AM
Life is such a brainfart.
I reckon light getting through the sides/top/bottom of the glasses would be an issue. You would need to use foam or something all around...but then they might not sit right.
Feb 11, 2010, 06:06 AM
Resistance is Futile
I don't understand what all the fuss about light getting in being a problem. I have never used full coverage goggles since I started doing this 12 years ago.

A good set of Head Mounted Displays shouldn't need any "blackout" to work properly.

I would find it cumbersome and difficult if not down right dangerous not to be able to see my surroundings and equipment.

The HMD's I use, (goggle just sounds like a bathroom experience) are ICUITI DV920's ,(now Vuzix) and they are plenty bright enough to use in almost any circumstance without "blinders". I have never had to use more than the shade of a ball cap on the brightest of days.

Not sure about their newer products but so far I have loved mine. I think that their making the new versions look like "Wrap" style sunglasses is just being trendy.

Hope this helps,

Rob

I noted they are also introducing a set of these specifically for Augmented Reality applications, (Wrap AR920). Finally. these will allow a user to "look" through their HMD while they are wearing it using embedded cameras. While this may appear to be a useless feature their use will become more obvious as the AR technologies become mainstream news.
Last edited by camship; Feb 11, 2010 at 06:31 AM.
Feb 11, 2010, 06:35 AM
Questionable judgement
I find it more immersive if no light gets in.
Feb 11, 2010, 07:14 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracky72
I find it more immersive if no light gets in.
I agree bracky, I guess that make us "down right dangerous"
Feb 11, 2010, 07:35 AM
Resistance is Futile
My guess is you gentlemen have never encountered the levels of stupidity that curious onlookers are capable of.

I have had an insane person drive right across the field and right up within 5-6 feet of my hovering Bergen Observer. When he ran over the video receiver and transmitter it doesn't take much imagination to figure out what happened to $10,000.00 worth of heli and movie camera.

I would likely been severely injured and/or dead from my 6 foot rotor span heli going wildly out of control had I not seen what was about to occur and get the hell out of the way.

Dangerous to not be able to see your surroundings in a uncontrolled environment? You decide gentlemen.

Have a great day,

Rob
Feb 11, 2010, 07:42 AM
Suspended Account
No, it is DANGEROUS to fly a Heli with a 6 foot roto span via FPV, I fly Small pusher foamies that weigh less than 4 lbs.
Feb 11, 2010, 07:45 AM
Questionable judgement
What you are flying is in a whole different league then what I fly. You be careful.
Feb 11, 2010, 07:45 AM
www.gunnphotoservices.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by camship
My guess is you gentlemen have never encountered the levels of stupidity that curious onlookers are capable of.

I have had an insane person drive right across the field and right up within 5-6 feet of my hovering Bergen Observer. When he ran over the video receiver and transmitter it doesn't take much imagination to figure out what happened to $10,000.00 worth of heli and movie camera.

I would likely been severely injured and/or dead from my 6 foot rotor span heli going wildly out of control had I not seen what was about to occur and get the hell out of the way.

Dangerous to not be able to see your surroundings in a uncontrolled environment? You decide gentlemen.

Have a great day,

Rob
So, did you beat him on the spot? or did you kindly advise him that he destroyed a $10k platform, and then beat him?

Side note: Next time, dont set up in the Walmart parking lot...
Latest blog entry: www.gunnphotoservices.com
Feb 11, 2010, 07:48 AM
Resistance is Futile
And everyone has so far completely missed the AR920 reference. Don't know what AR is?

Ask any current US Air Force combat pilot what kind of HMD they use for flying. And yes, they do FPV their own aircraft.

Have a great day,

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr
Side note: Next time, dont set up in the Walmart parking lot...
OK, just so long as they don't build in the side yard/field of my home where this occurred.
Feb 11, 2010, 07:50 AM
Quote:
And everyone has so far completely missed the AR920 reference. Don't know what AR is?

Ask any current US Air Force combat pilot what kind of HMD they use for flying. And yes, they do FPV their own aircraft.

Have a great day,

Rob
Hey! you were the one that went off on a tangent about foolish people!

Back to the glasses. I wasnt worried about light getting in until I flew with the sun at my 6 o'clock. It ruined the experience because I could see the edges of the screen as they were lit up with sunlight. That was enough to make me add some foam around the edges of my fatSharks
Latest blog entry: www.gunnphotoservices.com
Feb 11, 2010, 08:02 AM
Resistance is Futile
I understand it is completely personal preference and there are merits and problems with both types of use. For most I would assume that they are wanting to "fly".

My uses are more utilitarian and require management of complex systems that would be impossible with a full-immersion HMD. My focus is on integrated remote flight systems for personal and commercial use in FAA regulated US airspace we will be living with in a year or two.

Keep 'em AGL!

Rob
Feb 11, 2010, 08:34 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
My uses are more utilitarian and require management of complex systems that would be impossible with a full-immersion HMD. My focus is on integrated remote flight systems for personal and commercial use in FAA regulated US airspace we will be living with in a year or two.
Rob
Sounds to complex for us simple minded guys.
Feb 11, 2010, 09:01 AM
Quote:
My uses are more utilitarian and require management of complex systems that would be....

Rob
I detect a hint of "im better than you because my crap costs more"

you should really tone it down a notch...kinda makes you look bad...
Last edited by Matt Gunn; Feb 11, 2010 at 09:16 AM.
Feb 11, 2010, 10:02 AM
Resistance is Futile
My sincere apologies. Surely didn't mean to tread on any toes. Just been at this for more than a decade so I have some cool toys I made over the years.

I'm not worried how someone might think I "look'. There is an ignore button for that.

Have a great day,

Rob

Quick Reply