Dec 01, 2012, 09:00 PM
Wow! On Wednesday morning, around 11:00 AM, I ordered 10 D47s from Diamond. So this morning, Saturday, I check my mail and there is a small box from Diamond with not only my 10 servos, but also an eleventh servo that was marked on the invoice seperately as a free servo. So how cool is that. From the east coast to Seattle 72 hours from when I ordered and a free servo to boot. Cool Diamond, Thank you.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 03, 2012, 11:36 PM

Waiting

Waiting for the arm to heal.
Name: SANY0637.jpg
Views: 160
Size: 83.5 KB
Description: Still pretty tender after near 2 weeks. :(
It's been too windy, wet and cold anyway.

Gave me some time to kill. So I decided to do what I could to avoid the dreaded hanger rash. The 2 times I transported it I was afraid it would get broken even though there was nothing much else in the truck. Time to get out the cardboard and hot glue.
Name: SANY0638.jpg
Views: 138
Size: 102.1 KB
Description: The pink styro at the other end was glued in place inside (about 18" from the far end) then that opening was glued closed. Holds the wing in place and the nose of the fuse.Name: SANY0641.jpg
Views: 122
Size: 214.3 KB
Description: No more worries of hanger rash.Name: SANY0642.jpg
Views: 121
Size: 216.7 KB
Description: Balances right at the carry handle (hole).Name: SANY0643.jpg
Views: 160
Size: 143.7 KB
Description: Everthing stays in place through the roll test, the endo test and the shake test. :)  The wing compresses 1.5" of soft foam installed in the far end and clips under a cardboard block at this end. Tail boom is supported and the rudder floats in styro.
Everything goes in through the roof of the little house. (descriptions with pics)
Last edited by Helitime; Dec 04, 2012 at 12:04 AM.
Dec 04, 2012, 04:06 PM
Addicted to lift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitime
Waiting for the arm to heal.
Attachment 5348538
It's been too windy, wet and cold anyway.

Gave me some time to kill. So I decided to do what I could to avoid the dreaded hanger rash. The 2 times I transported it I was afraid it would get broken even though there was nothing much else in the truck. Time to get out the cardboard and hot glue.
Attachment 5348559Attachment 5348566Attachment 5348567Attachment 5348568
Everything goes in through the roof of the little house. (descriptions with pics)
You're a master cardboardsmith! LOL

And, what the heck happened to your arm?!?!
Dec 04, 2012, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosglider
You're a master cardboardsmith! LOL

And, what the heck happened to your arm?!?!
Cardboard is good. Keeps most of my birds safe, at home and on the road.
I used to put 5 or 6 planes and 3 heli's in my 2 door Sunfire and go flying. The guy's with capped 1/2 tons couldn't bring as much.

The arm is the result of 20 full on launches in 40 min's by an old innactive guy (newbie) who dosen't know what he's doing.(as noted back a few pages) The pic is after 1.5 weeks, was lots worse right to the top of my arm. Live and learn I guess.

Cardboardsmith/Kerry
(Been called lots worse)
Dec 04, 2012, 08:44 PM
Chesty
Wow that is a serious injury for an RC pilot. Clearly DLG shits all over any discipline, where else could you get an arm like that ! I believe in no pain no gain, had my share of powered, park flyers, heli's, they are now in the RC junkyard and decorating my shed, nothing else is important anymore or ever will be for that matter.

Just need Australia to go silly for DLG now, there doesn't seem to be a very active community down under.
Dec 05, 2012, 05:26 PM
Addicted to lift
Quote:
The arm is the result of 20 full on launches in 40 min's by an old innactive guy (newbie) who dosen't know what he's doing.(as noted back a few pages) The pic is after 1.5 weeks, was lots worse right to the top of my arm.
Wow! Must have been due to all the blood rushing to your arm. Thats the only thing I can think of. I have never seen trauma like that caused without an impact of some kind. Incredible.
Dec 05, 2012, 06:07 PM
Launch low. Fly high ;)

CG too far forward

My TopSky is nose heave by about 1.5cc. What meathod do you guys recommend to move my CG back by 1.5cc or 15mm?
Dec 05, 2012, 06:22 PM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy

Rudder patch

Some time back I broke the rudder on my TS2 Disser. It actually happened over a few rough landings where I missed catching the wing as it went by during a wind gust.

After considering just buying a new rudder from the local importer I decided I had nothing to loose by a DIY repair first. I'm glad I did as it came out OK.

I used two carbon patches left over from the cloth supplied in the kit, along with thin finishing epoxy form Hobbyking. The patches were wetted then blotted till nearly dry with paper towels, then placed and covered with thin mylar shiny side down (as a release film). I have a zip-loc bag of lead shot that I use as a weight while it cures over night, but I place a layer of sponge foam between the bag and the mylar to even the pressure out better.

Flew the DLG with the repair and it's fine, CoG is still where I had it before so the extra gram or two did not seem to matter.
The bonus is that I doubt the rudder will snap in that spot ever again, and I think they should be reinforced there a bit better from the factory.
Martin
Dec 05, 2012, 08:01 PM
Will fly for food
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanger Rash
My TopSky is nose heave by about 1.5cc. What meathod do you guys recommend to move my CG back by 1.5cc or 15mm?
Cg your ship at 76 to 78mm and see how you like it. 82 to 84 is way to far back
Dec 05, 2012, 08:15 PM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen
Cg your ship at 76 to 78mm and see how you like it. 82 to 84 is way to far back
Thanks Dave. I wasn't clear. My CG is at 60mm and I want to know the best way to move it back to 75mm.

I am thinking of just taping a penny on the boom so I can move it around. I won't be using this ship in any contest so I will just play with the CG and see what I learn.

But if I wanted to ever make it permanent, I know I would have to stick some ballast inside the ship somewhere. I am just not sure the best way to do that.
Dec 05, 2012, 09:44 PM
Chesty
Quote:
My apologies to Wayne from ALOFT hobbies. He sent me a free replacement servo and I forgot to send him a thank you.

Thanks Wayne, great service
Kerry

Grrr, setup these servos in my Vesus wing last night, bench tested ok, epoxied in, go to fit pushrods, plug in servos to centre and this horrible noise starts coming out of one !!!

Ripped the bastards out and fit D47's, unimpressed considering the apparent failure rate.
Dec 05, 2012, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClimaxPilot
Grrr, setup these servos in my Vesus wing last night, bench tested ok, epoxied in, go to fit pushrods, plug in servos to centre and this horrible noise starts coming out of one !!!

Ripped the bastards out and fit D47's, unimpressed considering the apparent failure rate.
Don't know if it's related but when I went to centre mine with a servo tester they all did strange things, jittering and jumping. I wondered if my tester was no good for digital servos so I tested with a receiver and they were fine.
At least until one started jittering with light pressure on the aileron.
Dec 06, 2012, 03:10 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Quote:
Thanks Dave. I wasn't clear. My CG is at 60mm and I want to know the best way to move it back to 75mm.

I am thinking of just taping a penny on the boom so I can move it around. I won't be using this ship in any contest so I will just play with the CG and see what I learn.

But if I wanted to ever make it permanent, I know I would have to stick some ballast inside the ship somewhere. I am just not sure the best way to do that.
I usually ballast models on the CG point, but that won't help you move the CG rearwards. Can you move you batterys or receiver back ?

I used lead golf club tape (it's very thin) to balance my wings laterally, but I think it would wrap around the boom near the tail easily too for a CG adjustment.

My CG is 76mm from LE incidentally, found by flight testing. 80mm was too far for mine.
Dec 06, 2012, 06:35 AM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
Thanks PLMS - I don't golf so I never would have known that. I will give it a try.

I should have checked the CG before I permanently installed the battery and servo tray. I usually have the opposite problem of being too tail heavy so I just went ahead and installed them and found out too late.

I am at a place now that I really need to get to know and recognize when the CG is off while flying, so this tape idea will give me a chance to experiment.
Dec 06, 2012, 07:12 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Quote:
I should have checked the CG before I permanently installed the battery and servo tray.
This was my method of dealing with a slim fus and the batteries. They are the small micro-heli cells for an mcpX or a FBL100 heli. The cells are loose but connected together in series to make a 3S 'pack'. This means I can slip them individually between other things like the RX and servos to adjust the CG.
Also, I didn't use a servo tray, I did the 'shoe-goo stick the servo down' method. This gives me more room to fit gear either side of them (like a lipo cell or two).

Quick Reply