This thread is privately moderated by wedgewing, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 25, 2010, 12:31 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-Dabbler
At first I wanted to share, thinking it would make me feel better. Then I thought maybe keeping it to myself would better. I am primarily glad no one got hurt and there was no property damage except for my plane. It is a mixture of embarrassment, laziness that I didn't go to the club field and disappointment about having to spend a couple hundred bucks to replace the airframe (at the next addicts sale).

The plane is probably fixable by someone like MLT but not by me. Wing tubes were ripped out of one wing and the fuse. Lots of broken formers in both wings. Leading edge busted in at least one place in both wings. Fuse broken in multiple places. At least 7 broken fuse formers in the fuse. Motor box completely destroyed.

However, the landing gear are in perfect condition and as best as I can tell there is no damage to the rudder and elevator. Lastly, the electronics seem like they will be fine.

I was stupidly trying a KE slide down a narrow, heavily tree lined street. It snapped out of the KE slide when I was trying to rapidly course correct to stay out of the tree line. The plane started to come down on the far side of the tree line and the tree line broke my line of site. When I regained visual, I tried a full throttle pull out but must have forgotten where my left thumb was (while trying to maintain visual). I think I still had some rudder applied. It hit a different tree line and went down behind my neighbors house and busted on his deck.

I have a second 57" Extra that I will fly tomorrow at the big field but I really liked this one more because it could handle longer full throttle climbs, KE spins etc without making a battery puff.

A real bummer.

Thanks for the sympathy guys.
bummer. hindsight sucks, it really does.

could always transfer your favorite gear into the backup... sounds like you have the electronics to keep the grin alive...
Jul 25, 2010, 01:15 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
So, the "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" award from me for the day goes to Akron no less for having a frikk'n Kangaroo for a mascot...

...Kangaroos in Ohio, whodathunkit
Jul 25, 2010, 07:11 AM
Ready, Post, Aim
Thread OP
Oh yeh! Thats Zippy!

Its why our Dingo population is so high....... I think I am about to call the officials in Australia so they can construct another version of the Rabbit Proof Fence for my yard....
Jul 25, 2010, 07:37 AM
Just "hanging" Around
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM
bummer. hindsight sucks, it really does.

could always transfer your favorite gear into the backup... sounds like you have the electronics to keep the grin alive...
Yeah, I probably will. It is a quick change. Just need to swap motors really. ESC and everything else is the same in both planes.

Once the 59" Slick is released I may move the motor over to that and put the original one back in.

-Mike
Jul 25, 2010, 09:04 PM
Some Sharp Looking Cheddar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-Dabbler
At first I wanted to share, thinking it would make me feel better. Then I thought maybe keeping it to myself would better. I am primarily glad no one got hurt and there was no property damage except for my plane. It is a mixture of embarrassment, laziness that I didn't go to the club field and disappointment about having to spend a couple hundred bucks to replace the airframe (at the next addicts sale).

The plane is probably fixable by someone like MLT but not by me. Wing tubes were ripped out of one wing and the fuse. Lots of broken formers in both wings. Leading edge busted in at least one place in both wings. Fuse broken in multiple places. At least 7 broken fuse formers in the fuse. Motor box completely destroyed.

However, the landing gear are in perfect condition and as best as I can tell there is no damage to the rudder and elevator. Lastly, the electronics seem like they will be fine.

I was stupidly trying a KE slide down a narrow, heavily tree lined street. It snapped out of the KE slide when I was trying to rapidly course correct to stay out of the tree line. The plane started to come down on the far side of the tree line and the tree line broke my line of site. When I regained visual, I tried a full throttle pull out but must have forgotten where my left thumb was (while trying to maintain visual). I think I still had some rudder applied. It hit a different tree line and went down behind my neighbors house and busted on his deck.

I have a second 57" Extra that I will fly tomorrow at the big field but I really liked this one more because it could handle longer full throttle climbs, KE spins etc without making a battery puff.

A real bummer.

Thanks for the sympathy guys.

Ugg sorry Mike. But like you said, it could have been worse and someone could be hurt.
Jul 25, 2010, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM
So, the "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" award from me for the day goes to Akron no less for having a frikk'n Kangaroo for a mascot...

...Kangaroos in Ohio, whodathunkit
Never thought of that... you should feel right at home. So are kangaroos like the deer of Australia?
Jul 25, 2010, 09:52 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by i love nachos
Never thought of that... you should feel right at home. So are kangaroos like the deer of Australia?
err... sure, why not

Deer are cool, and it's awesome to watch them play around the place (was a really cool mother/fawn scene a few mornings ago), but Roo's are soo much more cooler than deer...
Jul 26, 2010, 07:26 AM
I meant it more like, if you are driving down the road seeing a Roo is just as normal as seeing a deer here. Obviously the Kangaroos are cooler!

Like in Mexico, instead of squirrels, they have Iguanas. That sort of thing
Jul 26, 2010, 08:50 AM
Ready, Post, Aim
Thread OP
I love Deer as an entre'e .....

lots of squirrels in Mexico.... I have even seen Mexican Ground Squirrels in San Antonio ( I am sure they were illegals )

This one left the country life to sell gringos chiclets and pens....

Last edited by wedgewing; Jul 26, 2010 at 08:59 AM.
Jul 26, 2010, 09:07 AM
Just "hanging" Around
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgewing
I love Deer as an entre'e .....

lots of squirrels in Mexico.... I have even seen Mexican Ground Squirrels in San Antonio ( I am sure they were illegals )

This one left the country life to sell gringos chiclets and pens....

LOL, very funny
Jul 26, 2010, 09:15 AM
Haha funny keith. I am not saying they don't HAVE squirrel, but near the Iguanas are everywhere, LIKE squirrels. Also the wild and diseased cats roam free there too.
Jul 26, 2010, 09:19 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Quote:
I meant it more like, if you are driving down the road seeing a Roo is just as normal as seeing a deer here. Obviously the Kangaroos are cooler!

Like in Mexico, instead of squirrels, they have Iguanas. That sort of thing
yeah, you can see them when you go for a drive, but there's more country for them to spread out in... so you don't see them while driving all that often. Driving from my home town to Sydney takes 5-6 hours, and the chances of seeing a kangaroo would be less than 50-50.

Although during the daylight it would be a similar ratio for deer I suppose...
Jul 26, 2010, 09:26 AM
Ready, Post, Aim
Thread OP
Quote:
Haha funny keith. I am not saying they don't HAVE squirrel, but near the Iguanas are everywhere, LIKE squirrels. Also the wild and diseased cats roam free there too.
I know....I just had to find a segue to the squirrel dressed in a hat

I bet Detroit has a nice selection of diseased cats as well... I know they have more wild dog packs running around there than some places in the world....

Segue to ........

then we are within in one degree of separation of a guy who shartz himself on the way to flyins wolfing burritos...... wow, we covered a lot
Jul 26, 2010, 10:41 AM
Just "hanging" Around
I just thought of something cool to do with my busted up 57". I have a 60" Wing Span Cessna 172 that I built from plans when I was like 14 or something like that. It has never flown. I ran out of money before getting it in the air and let it sit for 20+ years. It needs some repairs from all of the years of storage and the movers finished it off a bit when they broke the tail feathers during the move from Strongsville to Richmond.

I am going to put the 57"s tail feathers on it, mod the ailerons to make them huge and see if I can keep it in the air for more than 10 seconds. Then I will either have a trainer for my son when I am done or one less thing to store in the house
Jul 26, 2010, 11:07 AM
Ready, Post, Aim
Thread OP
that's cool... hope it is a quick project.... I have wanted to place 40" Edge tail feathers on my Mini-Ultra-Stick to jack it up..... finally decided to just fly the 40" edge.

tamed down, they might help get that trainer in the air.... or C'Mon Dad!.... wirelessly connect him to that 70" Slick on that cool Futaba buddy box feature

Quick Reply