Feb 24, 2012, 10:46 AM
Jer. 29:11
Jon, I am interested in a kit (as well as interested in plans / skins, as previously mentioned). Your overall approach has a number of interesting innovations that I'm sure will prove intriguing to the larger indoor flying market. The key question may be whether the price (and recognition) are high enough for you to continue to develop and produce the product, whilst the price and time to assemble is low enough to attract flyers who are ready to graduate from RTF ultra micros.

Related to recognition, have you thought about writing a magazine article? (I'm guessing Keith Sparks would be happy to give you some pointers.)
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2012, 03:34 PM
I would buy a bind n fly or kit. It wouldn't matter because that plane looks to good to pass up.
Feb 24, 2012, 04:55 PM
Crashing with style
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsch
Jon, I am interested in a kit (as well as interested in plans / skins, as previously mentioned). Your overall approach has a number of interesting innovations that I'm sure will prove intriguing to the larger indoor flying market. The key question may be whether the price (and recognition) are high enough for you to continue to develop and produce the product, whilst the price and time to assemble is low enough to attract flyers who are ready to graduate from RTF ultra micros.

Related to recognition, have you thought about writing a magazine article? (I'm guessing Keith Sparks would be happy to give you some pointers.)
Hi jeffsch, you make some valid points there: original enough product at a price thats affordable and everyone knows about it! Thats the big one, getting it out there.

I have had some experience of bringing products to market and it is definately the exposure that is needed to at least give a product a chance. It needs a brand, magazine exposure, web exposure, it's own web site etc... which I am fully prepared to do - and most probably will (but can I have Keith's email please!!!)

Jon
Feb 24, 2012, 05:24 PM
Just here for the pie.
I've already started squirreling money away for 2 units (one to fly stock and one to mod).

So far I haven't seen anything that isn't brilliant. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Cheers!
Randall
Feb 24, 2012, 05:58 PM
Crashing with style
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall_l
I've already started squirreling money away for 2 units (one to fly stock and one to mod).

So far I haven't seen anything that isn't brilliant. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Cheers!
Randall
Thanks Randall. You have been super helpful on this one. And its great to know there will be a tiny 190 buzzin round the skies over the other side of the Atlantic!

More test flying today - no video I'm afraid but I am very happy with the motor setup now. Its a brushless AP05 5000Kv on a 1 cell setup. 90g's thrush on a 5030 prop and the Fw burst into life in a very scale way. Slows down nicely on this lower pitch prop. Should be easy to fly at an indoor venue.

Aerobatics are so much more 'in control' with the smooth power of the brushless setup, axial and barrel rolls at half throttle, loops at 2/3rds. I could fly it all day!

I intend to supply the motor, ESC and all the leads required to plug it all into a AR6400/AR6400L as an option for the kit. It will be cheaper than buying the bits seperately - for sure.
Feb 24, 2012, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbird
...wether it would be a kit you would consider buying to give a go if the price point was acceptable.
Yes!!!!!! Any idea yet what the ballpark price would/could/shoud be?

Gene K
Feb 25, 2012, 04:10 AM
Crashing with style
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01
Yes!!!!!! Any idea yet what the ballpark price would/could/shoud be?

Gene K
Hi Gene,

As you suggest - this is ballpark - but Ive been thinking over the price this week because its important! And I have had some more concrete info from suppliers recently.

For the kit WITH aileron servo but WITHOUT motor, ESC & battery I'm aiming to come in below the $60 mark. I've included the servo because you cant complete the kit without it, whereas all the other parts can be fitted once the aircraft is assembled.

The kit will include all the hard parts too - engine mount, Rx & Batt covers, Rx clip-in mount, all control horns and wheel hubs PLUS all wireforms for U/C, external features and control rods. Of course the prop & spinner will be included too.

How does that sound??

I intend to also offer the kit with an AP05 5000Kv brushless motor complete with ESC connector and an XP-7A ESC wired for AR6400 connection (1S operation). I estimate this should add around $30 - $35 to the kit.
Feb 25, 2012, 07:52 AM
Quote:
For the kit WITH aileron servo but WITHOUT motor, ESC & battery I'm aiming to come in below the $60 mark. ...How does that sound??
Sounds reasonable for the initial offering considering it's a "limited run" kit. Maybe subsequent issues can come down a little.

Also, hope you offer the kit sans the servo since some of us have "spares".

Looking forward to getting a kit!

Gene K
Feb 25, 2012, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Hi Gene,

As you suggest - this is ballpark - but Ive been thinking over the price this week because its important! And I have had some more concrete info from suppliers recently.

For the kit WITH aileron servo but WITHOUT motor, ESC & battery I'm aiming to come in below the $60 mark. I've included the servo because you cant complete the kit without it, whereas all the other parts can be fitted once the aircraft is assembled.

The kit will include all the hard parts too - engine mount, Rx & Batt covers, Rx clip-in mount, all control horns and wheel hubs PLUS all wireforms for U/C, external features and control rods. Of course the prop & spinner will be included too.

How does that sound??

I intend to also offer the kit with an AP05 5000Kv brushless motor complete with ESC connector and an XP-7A ESC wired for AR6400 connection (1S operation). I estimate this should add around $30 - $35 to the kit.

Cool! Put me down for 2 with motor and esc!
Feb 25, 2012, 04:56 PM
Crashing with style
Thread OP

The final push....

Thanks guys for your 'forward orders'! I'm heartened to know I'm pitching it about right.

Here's the rest of the build. The photos were taken whilst I was still testing out the coreless setup - now ditched for the brushless - so dont be suprised to see a geared motor up front in the pics.

The new brushless mount looks much better, and makes it much easier to attach/detach the motor too. I'm awaiting some new stickers redesigned for the brushless setup. I'll post pics of an assembled unit as soon as I have put it together.

I've attached a narrative to each image to describe what's going on.

If anyone has any questions about the assembly or anything else for that matter, just shout!

Jon
Feb 25, 2012, 10:02 PM
Deadbird your killing me with those pics. Will you be having your own site?
Feb 26, 2012, 11:43 AM
Crashing with style
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake21
Deadbird your killing me with those pics. Will you be having your own site?
Dont worry Jake21, there's gonna be a site. Might take a couple of months but there will be one!
Feb 28, 2012, 11:25 PM
Hey Deadbird can you post anymore videos or pictures? Also any idea when you would be taking orders?
Feb 29, 2012, 03:53 AM
Crashing with style
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake21
Hey Deadbird can you post anymore videos or pictures? Also any idea when you would be taking orders?
Hi Jake21. Over the next couple of weeks I will be receiving all the final prototype parts that are being made for me by other companies. This includes the plastics, carbon fibre, wireforms, packaging and stuff like that.

If all is well I will give the go ahead to each supplier. The limiting factor is the plastics. Tooling has to be made and that can take up to 8 weeks.

During this time I will be getting the manual together and getting the website sorted and trying to get some PR going.

When possible I will take more photos and shoot more video. I need to show you guys the vast improvement the brushless setup has on performance amongst other things.

So - all being well I am hoping April/May will see the release of the Fw190. I hope to have several vesions of it available. Here's some artwork I've been working on recently....
Feb 29, 2012, 02:53 PM
Wow, that is sweet looking.

With the proper PR you could possibly have a great many people wanting these types of planes. Keep up the awesome work.

Quick Reply