Jul 18, 2011, 03:38 PM
Electric or Bust!
I haven't been able to keep up with this tread and the search did not come up with any answers. I have a stripped elevon servo and would like to replace it with a Hitec digital servo. Does anybody have any recommendations?

Any recommendations from any manufacture? I haven't found and close to the same dimensions as the stock servo.
Last edited by skyjet; Jul 18, 2011 at 04:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 18, 2011, 04:02 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtacmed View Post
1st weekend flying the "Q".

Day 1 aggrivating Tried Overhand power off no luck, sidearm toss with 3/4 throttle 1 successful launch out of 3. Day 1 costs 2 props and a new nose cone.

Day 2 Great !! . Installed the front skid off a old Stryker for the hook and used a friends catapult (a homemade version of FanJet's "Jetapult"). Took care of the launching issues and it really looks cool and is a blast taking off that way. Made one last night for $26.00. The bungee cord is from a $7.99 cargo net from harbor freiight. Just untie all the nots and you have a very long bungee cord. Next is Catapult launched Habu.
I dont know what you are doing but I do the sidearm toss, more of a pull and toss like has been discussed on here a lot and even with zero wind it takes right off straight and away no problems. Done it many times. 75% throttle.
Jul 18, 2011, 04:50 PM
Dixie Normious
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
HS65MG would be the bare minimum for this plane.
HS85MG or HS5085MG (digital) would be best if you expect power and speed upgrades.

If they don't quite fit...
dig a bigger hole.
(this is a running theme in Strykers.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjet View Post
I haven't been able to keep up with this tread and the search did not come up with any answers. I have a stripped elevon servo and would like to replace it with a Hitec digital servo. Does anybody have any recommendations?

Any recommendations from any manufacture? I haven't found and close to the same dimensions as the stock servo.
Here you go!!
Jul 18, 2011, 05:07 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by samste View Post
...Painted underside for better visibilty and orientation from a distance...
Yours looks great.

I'd like to do the same.

Can you share the name of the brand and color of paint you used?

Dave
Jul 18, 2011, 05:14 PM
lawndart aerobatic ace!
Just an FYI, graupner usa got their prop shipment in and they do have the 6x6, and the 6.5x6.5 cam speed props in stock and ready to ship. Mine are on their way!
Jul 18, 2011, 05:22 PM
Dixie Normious
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8taz nitro View Post
Just an FYI, graupner usa got their prop shipment in and they do have the 6x6, and the 6.5x6.5 cam speed props in stock and ready to ship. Mine are on their way!
Nice..To bad they charge 30 Bucks for shipping too Canada...
So 40ish for 2 Props...lol

I don't think so...
Jul 18, 2011, 05:49 PM
I guess I never realized that hand launching this plane was really an issue. I have my radio on a string around my neck with my left hand on the throttle. I grip the thing with my right hand by the little finger grooves on the belly, power the throttle up to between half and 3/4 throttle, throw the thing over hand pretty hard I guess but not all out or anything and then immediately put my right hand on the controls and take on out. The plane takes a second or two to get some speed and it tends to veer slightly to the left on release but gains speed and altitude pretty quickly. My Q is completely stock and I throw/launch on low rates. You want to make sure you don't pull up too fast and stall it before it gets some speed. Wind does absolutely help but this plane flies pretty true.

I've seen the youtube video of some poor guys fingers all tore up and that really is unfortunate but I think that just makes people all tweaky, nervous and scared. If you over think it, you're much more likely to smash your plane than slice up your fingers. The key, like anything is to be paying attention to what you're doing. Once you do it a couple of times successfully, it's a piece of cake.
Jul 18, 2011, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjet View Post

I posted a lengthy description a few pages back, searc for "HS-85MG" or "servo" and read through the posts. More or less, the HS-85/HS85MG/HS 50-85 digital are almost an exact size match, just a hair longer, and the pigtail comes out in a slightly different spot, just a little foam shaving, and they drop right in. Use the longest arms in a dubro standard length super strength pack, and 3" connector extensions, and they practically drop in, just make sure your hinges and rods don't bind, the hitecs are about twice as strong as the stock servos.
Jul 18, 2011, 06:11 PM
Head NEAT geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwhatley View Post
I guess I never realized that hand launching this plane was really an issue. I have my radio on a string around my neck with my left hand on the throttle. .
Most guys hit their own hand because they do not "follow thru". Pretend you are going to put your hand in your front pocket after the trhow and you will never hit your hand with the prop.

or do what I do... throw the da_m thing hard with the power off. (does require a good throw however!)
Jul 18, 2011, 06:15 PM
Do you see what I see?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8taz nitro View Post
Forgive the rookie question, is there a substantial difference in performance between the 6 x 6 and the 6.5 x 6.5?
Jul 18, 2011, 06:31 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
yah or else you and I'd be ordering some lol

shipping fees suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Nice..To bad they charge 30 Bucks for shipping too Canada...
So 40ish for 2 Props...lol

I don't think so...
Jul 18, 2011, 06:39 PM
Dixie Normious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
yah or else you and I'd be ordering some lol

shipping fees suck
Yea i hear yea!!
Jul 18, 2011, 06:40 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
has anyone tried the

APC 6.5x6.0 10-15 Pylon Propeller????

or

APC 6.5 x 6.5?
Jul 18, 2011, 06:44 PM
Electric or Bust!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
I posted a lengthy description a few pages back, searc for "HS-85MG" or "servo" and read through the posts. More or less, the HS-85/HS85MG/HS 50-85 digital are almost an exact size match, just a hair longer, and the pigtail comes out in a slightly different spot, just a little foam shaving, and they drop right in. Use the longest arms in a dubro standard length super strength pack, and 3" connector extensions, and they practically drop in, just make sure your hinges and rods don't bind, the hitecs are about twice as strong as the stock servos.
Thanks for the quick feedback. I found your earlier post. Great Info! I miss flying my Q. The HS-85mg's are on my list.
Jul 18, 2011, 07:18 PM
lawndart aerobatic ace!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Forgive the rookie question, is there a substantial difference in performance between the 6 x 6 and the 6.5 x 6.5?
I don't have and first hand so I can't answer that yet, but I'll have some information hopefully by friday. I know the 6x6 should be noticeably better than the stock plastic prop that comes with the Q. I'm running with a 4 cell setup so I'll have to see if the 6.5x6.5 is too much. It may not matter with temps here locally hitting triple digits with heat index's over 105, It may have to wait a while for the weather to cool off.

Quick Reply