Nov 22, 2012, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzam
The fact that you have returned batteries that didn't perform as expected is only adds to the evidence that expensive lipos are not necessarily better lipos.
And there's the rub. ALL of the batteries that I had to send back were indeed 'less than premium' packs. I have never had to return what I consider to be a premium lipoly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzam
There are good batteries, and there are better batteries, and the cost has to be balanced against the battery's total 'useful' life.
Absolutely agree.

My experience has shown that my premium packs are cheaper on a cost-per-flight basis. Here's the ongoing saga of my 2100-2200 size 3S lipolys: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1450517.

Note that the Hyperion packs are over 3 years old and show very little signs of degradation. The others have either been retired at less than 100 discharges or are certainly starting to fade. All used in the same application, same flight characteristics, same flight time, same charge rate, etc., so it's a very fair comparison.

Mark
to remove ads between posts
Nov 22, 2012, 02:34 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
I normally get cheap packs for cheap planes and nice packs for nice planes. Why? Because I don't know if I will still have the cheap plane by the time the cheap packs start to die, but the nice planes certainly have a longer lifespan, so I get good batteries to go with it. My radian and foamies are powered by GensAce and SkyLipo... the foamies start to break down after a year or two, and the Radian is soon going to be sold for a better glider. I'm putting TP's in the better glider.
Nov 22, 2012, 07:00 PM
Battery Puffer
Rebel, I merley posted that quote to show I was buying my cells from the factory not the assembly plant. I don't know what else your talking about.

Mark
Nov 22, 2012, 07:11 PM
I like Turnigy, the are fairly priced and can be charged higher than 1C
Nov 22, 2012, 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF
I am done with this thread and the graphs I posted speak for themselfs.

Mark
The graphs you posted are meaningless. Your posts do not document the test procedure, how/when the tests were performed and under what conditions the tests were performed, age and number of cycles being tested, etc. Your posts/graphs do not indicate IR. Additionally, the tests do not indicate long term performance as they only represent a few discharges. I assumed those graphs were posted by someone trying to market their own products and I assumed correctly. It would have been appreciated if you would have provided such a disclaimer up front.
Nov 22, 2012, 10:47 PM
Go small or go home
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth
My experience has shown that my premium packs are cheaper on a cost-per-flight basis. Here's the ongoing saga of my 2100-2200 size 3S lipolys: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1450517.
Thanks! That was/is an informative read, without all the 'mine are better' pee fights.
Nov 23, 2012, 10:55 AM
Battery Puffer
Ohmic, I'm sorry I don't have the info you want. That graph was sent to me buy a customer and I did email him asking your questions. I do have some graphs another customer sent me showing IR numbers. I don't own any testing equipment so have to rely on customers and people like Mark Forsyth and Charles. I do get the feeling it doesn't matter what I post because someone will try to find a way to attack it. I believe you will find your answers in the test Mark F did. I apologize to everyone else for the mess I seemed to have made of this thread.

Mark
Nov 23, 2012, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF
Ohmic, I'm sorry I don't have the info you want. I don't own any testing equipment
If you're "in the business" spending the relatively small amount for IR testing equipment would seem a good investment. Even if it was just used for your own "race" batteries. But then you couldn't feign ignorance?
Nov 23, 2012, 11:30 AM

Short lipo life cycle

I seem to get about a dozen cycles out of my lipo packs, be it a 160mah 1s or my 3300 mah 3s 25c gens ace. Hot weather seems to take its toll with puffing. I try not to over discharge but they get real warm in 85+ degree weather. I've never seen any instructions with the batteries concerning care and feeding of them. Have a triton2 eq balancing charger and charge per the chargers instructions. Really dissatisfied with high cost and short lifespan of batteries. Flying glow is about 3 times less expensive. Am i doing something wrong or do i have crummy equipment? Tried to buy good stuff.
Nov 23, 2012, 12:08 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.edwards
But then you couldn't feign ignorance?
Thems fighten words.

Nov 23, 2012, 12:42 PM
Suspended Account
Greg

I think you are running the batteries down too low while flying. Or You may have a defective battery charger.

Did you reset ALL of your ESCs to the HIGHEST cutoff voltage ? Hopefully there is a 3.1 volts or higher setting.
Nov 23, 2012, 01:12 PM
Southern Pride
Quote:
Am i doing something wrong or do i have crummy equipment? Tried to buy good stuff.
Perhaps this will help.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...61&postcount=1

Charles
Nov 23, 2012, 02:29 PM
Suspended Account
getting REAL WARM & puffy do go together. Do you know how much current each plane is pulling out of the battery at maximum power ?

Can you safely measure that for us ? It would be a BIG HELP in seeing why your batteries die so fast.
Nov 23, 2012, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREG A
I seem to get about a dozen cycles out of my lipo packs, be it a 160mah 1s or my 3300 mah 3s 25c gens ace. Hot weather seems to take its toll with puffing. ....
The link in everydayflyer's post is well worth reading

Unfortunately there are several things you could be doing wrong: Over-discharging is one thing, and over-amping is another. Taking your Gens Ace as an example, it should theoretically be capable of handling 3.3 x 25 = 82.5A, but in hot weather it's probably prudent to de-rate that value, and you should also assume that the manufacturer has exaggerated the C rating (or at the very best, measured it under ideal conditions), so everdayflyer's de-rating to 60%sounds prudent. Do you know how many amps your setup is actually drawing?
Nov 23, 2012, 10:00 PM
Flying a great planes electro stik with rimfire 42-40-100kv and gp ss45a brushless esc. I fly 10 min at half throttle for the most part. Like to get up high and try to catch thermals while shooting video with a very lite cam. I throttle down while gliding. I don't know exactly how much i'm drawing. Just notice that the motor starts surging after 3 or 4 minutes with the gens ace 3300 25c 11.1v. The battery then will only take about 900mah charge to get to 12.6v charge. Then goes down quickly to around 12.3-12.2v. Can't get these batteries to take a good charge after about 10 cycles.

Quick Reply