Sep 10, 2010, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion1
The whole motor/drivetrain seems undersized/low quality from what i'm reading............ It cant be very fast with a 3656(?) 1500kv motor on 4s, can it?

What this boat needs is a new flex drive and a leopard 4068-4074 in it, powered by a couple of beefy 2s lipos thru a 120a ESC. Just one man's opinion.
I believe they're running in the mid 30's stock, and hitting 40's with some setup and prop work.

If you think of the cost difference, putting a motor and ESC that size in it would put the price well beyond what buyers of RTR boats are willing to pay.

Plus, this was designed for P Spec racing, which is limited to a handful of 36mm motors.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 10, 2010, 07:31 AM
I feel the need for speed!
I was suggesting that someone put those items in one themselves............. i bet someone does it in the near future.
Sep 10, 2010, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

I believe the Motor is a:3630-1500Kv Water-Cooled Brushless....recommended 2x 2s Lipos for juice.

The turning problem can easily be resolved by replacing what appears to be a weak servo from the factory.

The canopy issue is common to most all boats that are driven hard and one should reinforce any canopy with resin and/or fiberglass (SOP in my book).

I intended to install a Spektrum MR Rx and use my DX3s Radio like I do for all my boats.

Speeds in the mid 30's, and up to 40 with setup is fine with me. So the engine would be acceptable….not so sure about the ESC thought (would run it stock and see what happens).

I've got one on hold at the LHS that I'm going to check out today, but at this point I have some reservations about purchasing this boat today. I might just wait for one of the other Violators to buy one so I can check it out on the water up close and personal

Boomer, can you confirm the speed on this puppy?
Sep 10, 2010, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Wohlt
This is a solid set up for motor and ESC...very time proven. The twitching servo is just hit and miss.

I just got my hull and it will be built with 4074-2200kv, 180 ESC and probably a 78 wire drive or a 3/16" cable,4-5S lipos.

Should be around 60mph, I am hoping.
Jeff,

Can you buy the finished bare hull, or finished hull with hardware less motor and ESC?
Sep 10, 2010, 09:23 AM
From what I've read other places, if you do some minor sanding/blocking on the ride pads it will improve speed and handling a worthwhile amount.
Sep 10, 2010, 10:11 AM

Bare hull

Bare hull and canopy 198.00 from Horizon.

Stringfly <>+++++
Sep 10, 2010, 10:29 AM

gear

The motor and esc is the same as in my Fastech Forumula and it runs great. The biggest difference with this RTR is the 2.4 ghz marine radio which I like better than the 27mhz in mine. I have had glitches twice on mine.

Stringfly <>+++++
Sep 10, 2010, 11:20 AM
I have a new miss geico and I am waiting for a new flexshaft.

It appears that the Esc shouldn't need any programming for lipo? Just want to make sure I don't need a special programmer as well.
Sep 10, 2010, 11:37 AM
Boomer1
Thread OP

It must be programed for lipos!

tman,
The boat's ESC has to be programed with the Proboat programing module #PRB3311
Won't work other wise. Check out this video. It shows you how to do it. http://www.horizonhobby.com/Articles...ArticleID=1801

If order one before 9-15 you can get 10% off by using this discount code Promo Code: STF106F4AE
Saves you a couple of bucks!

Boomer
Sep 10, 2010, 11:41 AM
That is retarded. I can't run it now?
Sep 10, 2010, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman52804
I have a new miss geico and I am waiting for a new flexshaft.

It appears that the Esc shouldn't need any programming for lipo? Just want to make sure I don't need a special programmer as well.
I'm wondering the same thing?

However, I was planning on buying a program card anyway as this would be my second Proboat with a programable ESC.

One wrong move and you can kiss your electronics good bye....it's all in the beep beep beep
Sep 10, 2010, 11:47 AM
Boomer1
Thread OP
Tman
Life isn't fair. The card ships in a day or so, and comes in the mail. Takes a day or two. The flex shaft is most likely defective anyway, so you'll have to wait for a new one.
That is the way it is with lipos.
Boomer
Sep 10, 2010, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1
Tman
Life isn't fair.
Amen
Sep 10, 2010, 12:22 PM
You could reverse the motor and use a Righthand prop on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman52804