Technomancer
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgarman
Hey! I did add lights. See Post 327!
Whoop, my bad They do look pretty Now how about a night flight video
to remove ads between posts
Feb 15, 2013, 07:46 AM

yoyoyo

Ok just tell me one thing. Which is more durable? UM spitfire or the um p-40 warhawk? I heard some people complain about the spitfire wing that it is fragile. So which is more durable?
Feb 16, 2013, 07:05 AM
Technomancer
If it concerns you so much buy a P-51 Mustang they're indestructible. Ive crashed it hard more times than I can count yet it still bounces back for more.

Here's my build log with vids, plenty of crashes caught on tape:

Here is a build/upgrade log of my UM P-51 Mustang.

If you have arrived at this page via my BLOG, please click HERE to access the entire entry
Feb 18, 2013, 11:52 AM
Off we go.............
Well I got mine last week, and got her up for half a dozen flights. Well, it's nice but lacks climbing power, and doesnt handle nearly as cat like as the Spitfire.
And the Spitfire can out turn the P-40 easily, the P-40 seems a bit doggy, and well this makes sense if you look at both side by side. The P-40 has a much fattter fuse and it's lines arent as clean as the Spitfire. So it's much draggier than the Spit. The Spit's eliptical wing, slices the air much smoother.

As for durability, well folks just always land'em on their wheels or belly and durability wont be an issue. Stay away from trees, fences, light poles and walls.
Planes, any of them are designed to fly not crash. Crash them, and they will break. It's that simple.
Feb 19, 2013, 04:40 AM
Technomancer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreHawk
Well I got mine last week, and got her up for half a dozen flights. Well, it's nice but lacks climbing power, and doesnt handle nearly as cat like as the Spitfire.
And the Spitfire can out turn the P-40 easily, the P-40 seems a bit doggy, and well this makes sense if you look at both side by side. The P-40 has a much fattter fuse and it's lines arent as clean as the Spitfire. So it's much draggier than the Spit. The Spit's eliptical wing, slices the air much smoother.

As for durability, well folks just always land'em on their wheels or belly and durability wont be an issue. Stay away from trees, fences, light poles and walls.
Planes, any of them are designed to fly not crash. Crash them, and they will break. It's that simple.
The elliptical wings bring on tip stalls though
Feb 19, 2013, 03:57 PM
Clean up! The missus is home
Actually the AS3X system makes the Spitfire difficult if not impossible to stall!
Feb 19, 2013, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingfield
Actually the AS3X system makes the Spitfire difficult if not impossible to stall!
???? I stall mine all the time. Sure, as3x can wiggle the controls all it likes but if your airspeed is below stall, they don't exactly do too much. I suppose it recovers much quicker after a stall - which is a good thing for the beginners these products are marketed for - but it doesn't prevent them totally.
Feb 20, 2013, 06:39 AM

yoyoyo

Thanks guys you have been very supportive. Also looking at umx mig-15. If only my pocket allows me to buy some of these planes rather one of these planes. Hey um p-51 is on sale for 70 dollars.
Feb 20, 2013, 07:29 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by srinu
Hey um p-51 is on sale for 70 dollars.
Look for a sucker. Brand new P-51's are $65
Feb 20, 2013, 10:15 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Can anyone recommend a good source for pilot figures in this scale?

A friend - a noobie to modeling - is building a 16" Guillows P-51, and asked me (as the expert ) where he could get a pilot.

Thanks

Feb 20, 2013, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam

A friend - a noobie to modeling - is building a 16" Guillows P-51, and asked me (as the expert ) where he could get a pilot.

Thanks

You can carve one out of foam, the packaging type like the UM and UMX planes are packed in, or I've seen people use Lego figures hacked off just below the shoulders.

Here's a Snoopy I did for my GWS Pico Moth out of packaging foam (regular styrofoam)
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2793
Last edited by bhoov128; Feb 20, 2013 at 10:32 AM. Reason: added example
Feb 20, 2013, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam

Thanks

I like to carve/shape mine from foam but these guys have some cool stuff for pilots/canopies/cockpit "upgrades":
http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...ain_page=index
Not cheap but not too expensive either...
Cheers!
Feb 20, 2013, 06:26 PM
I like this guy's pilots and have used them in a good few planes. http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Petes-Pilots
Feb 20, 2013, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128
???? I stall mine all the time. Sure, as3x can wiggle the controls all it likes but if your airspeed is below stall, they don't exactly do too much. I suppose it recovers much quicker after a stall - which is a good thing for the beginners these products are marketed for - but it doesn't prevent them totally.
So tonight I was flying my spit and I shot it up vertical and damn near hovered it. Rolled out to the side and pulled up just before impacting the dirt and continued on my merry way. As3x wasn't really a problem doing it either.
Feb 20, 2013, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewildweasel
I like this guy's pilots and have used them in a good few planes. http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Petes-Pilots
Oh yeah! Nice stuff... but we'd have to pay for all that ocean.
I've browsed his website before and some of the character pieces are really nice.
Probably well worth it to some folks.

Cheers!
Last edited by pegasus.pony; Feb 20, 2013 at 08:32 PM. Reason: fun

Quick Reply