Dec 16, 2010, 07:09 AM
Thread OP

Help! Need a charger!

Firstly just to state, I am from the UK.

I am thinking of buying a Losi Micro Rally rc car.

I am also going to purchase this Lipo: http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/product...e=RHINO-360-2S. I will also purchase a Losi Battery connector to change the JST head on the battery.

However, my main issue is that I need a very very cheap charger for this battery; can anyone help?

As this is the first Lipo I will own my understanding is that you chage it using the other 4 lead connector on the battery. Is this correct?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 16, 2010, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathpenalty
Firstly just to state, I am from the UK.

I am thinking of buying a Losi Micro Rally rc car.

I am also going to purchase this Lipo: http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/product...e=RHINO-360-2S. I will also purchase a Losi Battery connector to change the JST head on the battery.

However, my main issue is that I need a very very cheap charger for this battery; can anyone help?

As this is the first Lipo I will own my understanding is that you change it using the other 4 lead connector on the battery. Is this correct?
You need SAFE, reliable, and accurate, not cheap. There is a potential fire hazard when charging LiPo batteries. The potential is relatively small. However in my opinion the potential goes up with "very, very cheap".

Here is a good, inexpensive, charger that will do all chemistries.
http://www.store.revolectrix.com/Pro...-Adapter-Combo

If you only need LiPo look at this one:
http://www.store.revolectrix.com/Pro...-Adapter-Combo

Both of those chargers are very reliable, safe, and accurate.

Some chargers only charge through the main discharge leads. Some chargers only charge through the balance leads.

Some chargers use both the main discharge leads and the balance leads to charge.

The two I referenced use only the balance leads to charge and balance the battery.

Glen
Dec 16, 2010, 07:48 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the reply.

But firstly I live in the UK which makes this charger much more difficult to get and secondly it will cost £50 which is more than 60% of the cost of the car.

Anything that is much cheaper yet still reliable would be appreciated.
Dec 16, 2010, 09:03 AM
Those chargers ship direct from the factory in the Singapore area so shipping to the UK shouldn't be a problem. I agree with Glen, those are two very excellent chargers, though I'd highly recommend the Multi4 over the 4S Gold due to the small price difference and huge difference in features. Note that the price includes an adapter which you would need.

There is a charger that you can buy for $5 USD from Hobby King that would charge that battery, but you'll get what you pay for. If this is just a brief flirt with RC and you're not sure how long you'll be in the hobby then save yourself some money and get the $5 USD charger, but if RC isn't just a fad for you then investing in a charger like the FMA Multi4 is well worth it.
Dec 24, 2010, 12:24 AM
Go Ugly Early
Hey...not to hijack the thread...but I'm looking at the Cellpro Multi4 too...but I am a TOTAL noob.

Is it ready to go if purchased from the above link? (Personally), I'm using lipos in my micros, and have a couple of older PZ warbirds on NiMH...and the stock charger for those is crap, and I never know if I'm charged enough to actually fly. Soon, I'll be bumping up to larger warbirds on 2s, and 3s lipos. I don't care about charging a bunch of batteries at once...I just want to be able to safely, and reliably charge different chemistries, and be confident when I pop the battery in that the plane will not dig post holes due to battery malfunction...whether I want to fly my old school planes, or new ones.

Thanks!
Dec 24, 2010, 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hog Pen
Hey...not to hijack the thread...but I'm looking at the Cellpro Multi4 too...but I am a TOTAL noob.

Is it ready to go if purchased from the above link? (Personally), I'm using lipos in my micros, and have a couple of older PZ warbirds on NiMH...and the stock charger for those is crap, and I never know if I'm charged enough to actually fly. Soon, I'll be bumping up to larger warbirds on 2s, and 3s lipos. I don't care about charging a bunch of batteries at once...I just want to be able to safely, and reliably charge different chemistries, and be confident when I pop the battery in that the plane will not dig post holes due to battery malfunction...whether I want to fly my old school planes, or new ones.

Thanks!
As with most chargers you need the correct balance tap adapter board to match your battery connectors. FMA has two versions. One for Thunder Power and Polyquest batteries. One for Align ( Hobby King and Kokam batteries. Those support 2s to 4s packs. You would need to go to a different source for a 1s adapter board. Here is one:
http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-6-por...ly-p-5360.html
You would have to change the charger end of the adapter to a plug to match the Multi4.

Glen
Dec 24, 2010, 01:03 PM
Go Ugly Early
This reply is confusing without putting into context.

It almost looks as if the reference to the rcg link is a passive-aggressive reprimand to a noob for posting a question, and showing that noob the post has been added to the "list of shame".

The second link lists a bunch of chargers, with a bunch of numbers, acronyms, and other information that is useless to someone wo has no idea what they are looking at...like ME.
Dec 24, 2010, 04:13 PM
Southern Pride
The point in having Sticky Threads is to provide a source of info and to cover FAQs.

What is the issue with pointing them out to noob or even those that are not so new?
Dec 24, 2010, 05:14 PM
Skint since 2000

What about one of these

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7028

Some people may say its cheap but it works fine for me at a great price. You can also get the LiPo cheaper there

I am from the UK also

Merry Christmas

Brett
Dec 24, 2010, 06:25 PM
Go Ugly Early
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
The point in having Sticky Threads is to provide a source of info and to cover FAQs.

What is the issue with pointing them out to noob or even those that are not so new?
No problem at all...but sorting through this amount of info is rather difficult to someone that doesn't know what they're looking at...or for. It would be like searching for posts on a boat forum to explain how to rebuild a tilt/trim motor...there's a bazillion options and variations, and for someone who doesn'tknow anything about it...it amounts to information overload, and serves no purpose. On the other hand, if a noob posted, "Here's my boat, how do I do this?", experienced people can post up and say, "Oh, you've got the XYZ Bass boat with the ABC motor, so you need...and here's how..."etc.

I guess I'm just confused as to why it's such a pain to answer noob questions...if member X is tired of answering the same question 3 times a day, then maybe member X should move on, and just ignore the post. Don't get me wrong...I know how frustrating it is to watch people be lazy for the sake of their own sense of immediacy.
Dec 24, 2010, 08:45 PM
characters welcome!
"Give a man a fish and he'll eat that day..."

The easiest way I've found to help with info overload is to ask specific questions as soon as it comes to mind. Otherwise everything winds up a jumbled pudding in the head without the individual question being answered. I understand your frustration though Hog Pen. I'm a retired DoD Elect/Elex maintenance guy and some of this stuff makes me wish I paid more attention in Math class.

Please have patience with us older members. Trust me, you'll get tired of the same question that gets asked and answered about every tenth thread too.

mw (hopefully helping)
Dec 24, 2010, 09:55 PM
Go Ugly Early
LOL...ok...I have to be fair. In one of my other hobbies, I'm a "master" painter (detailed miniature/3d art for wargaming)...I've won numerous international awards, hosted clinics, written articles, been featured online, ezines, and print magazines, etc. I will tell on myself...I do sigh when I get asked the same thing over and over again. But, when I get asked how to usea certain technique...if the asker knows enough to ask me how I do it, then they know enough to be able to serch it out. I'm sittin' here looking at chargers not knowing what all these numbers are...connectors, adapters, acronyms, etc.
Dec 26, 2010, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hog Pen
acronyms, etc.
WHFB, 40K, WM, FoW?

The sticky threads at the top of forums will often contain a lot of useful info on acronyms and where else to go for more into. Battery chargers can be confusing not only because basic electrical knowledge is required to understand them, but battery manufacturers have not standardized on connectors and everyone has their own ideas about what safety features aught to be used.
Dec 26, 2010, 01:09 PM
Go Ugly Early
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM732
WHFB, 40K, WM, FoW?

The sticky threads at the top of forums will often contain a lot of useful info on acronyms and where else to go for more into. Battery chargers can be confusing not only because basic electrical knowledge is required to understand them, but battery manufacturers have not standardized on connectors and everyone has their own ideas about what safety features aught to be used.
Right...and they are VERY helpful. I'm pretty good at residentil/farm electrical applications, and some motor stuff...but I will admit to being a dummy at these little micro applications. I spend a couple hourse a day (at least) reading everything I can find online...the sticky threads do help a lot.

PS (post script) : I think I know what these acronyms stand for - <WHFB, 40K, WM, FoW?>...L(augh) O(ut) L(oud)

Quick Reply