Mar 07, 2010, 06:05 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by grem62483

One more question. What do they call the esc with the bec installed within it. Is it a esc/ bec combo or what? I dont wanna keep calling it somthing and its not the right term for it. Trying to learn the terminology so you veterans will understand what im trying to say and so I dont sound like an idiot.
Hi Bradley,

Let's look at this thing called the Electronic Speed Control (ESC). It's main job, as the name says, is to allow us to control the speed of the motor.

Now, back in the old days, that's what it did. And there used to be a separate battery they had to use to power the servos. Servos like to run at around 5 or 6 volts or so. This sort of sucked, because you had one battery in the plane to control the motor, and another battery in the plane to control the servos. Made it kind of cumbersome.

So along came some guy and he said... "What would happen if we took the main battery, and somehow reduced it's voltage down to about 5 or 6 volts, and powered the servos with that?" And everybody said "Hey, that's a great idea!"

So the guy took the ESC and he wired in a separate little circuit which took the main battey voltage being used for the motor, and he reduced this higher voltage down to about 5 or 6 volts, and he was able to eliminate altogether the separate battery they used to power the servos with. Now, everybody could just use the one battery for both motor, and servos.

Then they asked him what he was going to name this little invention of his, and he said "Well, since it eliminates the need for an extra servo battery.... I'm going to name this little circuit the Battery Eliminator Circuit (BEC)."

So they all whooped and hollared and took him out and got drunk and they had a merry old time.

So today, we say that most all ESC's have a BEC on them....

Make sense?

Chuck
to remove ads between posts
Mar 07, 2010, 07:15 PM
Bradley
Thread OP

Makes perfect sense.

Thanks Chuck. Just got back from flying my plane in a different location but it didn't help at all. My bro was flying a cub and he started telling me that he lost power to everything while flying but he got it back and landed it. Well I thought it was just a problem he was having with the cub, so I took out the T-28 flew around for a minute and everything seemed fine. All of a sudden, everything cut out. No power to anything. Right before it hit the ground everything came back and she shot straight up about 40 feet and died again. It fell like a rock and the entire nose of the plane ripped off. No damage to motor,ESC, reciever but I do need a new fuselage and connector that holds the servo linkage to the servo. When I put the electronics back in this plane the receiver and the ESC wont be going back in. I'm going with something better. The only thing that was around the place we was flying were a few power lines but nothing outta the ordinary. Whatever it was completely shut our planes down. I was ticked before but now im sick. lol o well. It just sucks that it crashed and it wasnt even somthing that I did wrong. Is going with the spectrum radio and receiver a good move? And does spectrum make the Dx5 or 6 with 2.4 ghz?
Mar 07, 2010, 07:20 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Thanks Chuck. Just got back from flying my plane in a different location but it didn't help at all. My bro was flying a cub and he started telling me that he lost power to everything while flying but he got it back and landed it. Well I thought it was just a problem he was having with the cub, so I took out the T-28 flew around for a minute and everything seemed fine. All of a sudden, everything cut out. No power to anything. Right before it hit the ground everything came back and she shot straight up about 40 feet and died again. It fell like a rock and the entire nose of the plane ripped off. No damage to motor,ESC, reciever but I do need a new fuselage and connector that holds the servo linkage to the servo. When I put the electronics back in this plane the receiver and the ESC wont be going back in. I'm going with something better. The only thing that was around the place we was flying were a few power lines but nothing outta the ordinary. Whatever it was completely shut our planes down. I was ticked before but now im sick. lol o well. It just sucks that it crashed and it wasnt even somthing that I did wrong. Is going with the spectrum radio and receiver a good move? And does spectrum make the Dx5 or 6 with 2.4 ghz?
Sorry to hear of your plane....

Yep, all Spektrum radios employ 2.4 GHz technology.
Mar 07, 2010, 10:47 PM
Defender of the park sky
I'm using a spektrum DX5e tx and AR500 rx, the 2.4G is rock solid for radio interference, there is simply none at all. I feel so lucky coming off my FM radio... The range is incredible too. As far as my flying area will go. No glitches. I've gone way out of my park over houses. done some altitude testing up high, no glitches.
2.4G, I'm a believer. I'm spoiled. The only problem to me seems to be the extra computer tasks asked of the receiver and programming options, which seems to be the root of 2.4G failures. It's like a carburetor compared to a chipped computer fuel management system. Sometime the software does weird things, or the hardware... but when it works, boy is it awesome.
Mar 07, 2010, 11:36 PM
Bradley
Thread OP

Yeah thats what Im going with.

Im gonna go with the spectrum. Will the servos that come with the trojan work with the new spectrum reciever. The servos are ParkZone DSV130M. My ol'e man is giving me a hitec eclipse 7 and he has the 2.4 ghz module with the reciever. I dont think its gonna be that hard to swap everything over to a new fuselage. I took a look at it and it just doesnt seem to be anything that I cant handle.
Mar 07, 2010, 11:37 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Im gonna go with the spectrum. Will the servos that come with the trojan work with the new spectrum reciever. The servos are ParkZoneDVS130M. My ole man is giving me a hitec eclipse 7 and he has the 2.4 ghz module. with the reciever. I dont think its gonna be that hard to swap everything over to a new fuselage. I took a look at it and it just doesnt seem to be anything that I cant handle.
The servos will work like a charm...
Mar 08, 2010, 08:21 AM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
I snapped the nose off my first T-28 several times. Don't be too quick to write it off!

Grab some white Gorilla glue and some toothpicks and she'll be almost as good as new. Be sure to tape over the glue lines - the gorilla glue foams, and the tape will help keep it flush - you may have to push the glue down a few times. Put the tooth picks into the foam when glueing for a bit extra reinforcement. Or just glue, then use some packing tape over the outside.

With a little paint she'll look ok. No sense in getting a brand new fuse to crack up when you are learning.

And everything you've said sounds like interference. The 2.4 ghz should help.
Mar 09, 2010, 04:01 PM
Bradley
Thread OP

Way to bad off to glue!

Thanks Ugly. But.... A whole section is missing from the bottom of the fuselage and it split pretty bad. It disintegrated when it hit the ground. Believe me I was hoping to be able to stick a few toothpicks in it and glue her back together but she is really bad off. I am gonna go with the 2.4 ghz system. I can fly pretty good believe it or not, just need to get rid of this crap that came with the plane. I just sent the plane back to Horizon Hobby and supposedly they are gonna fix it and replace that 25 amp esc with a new 30 amp. Ill keep y'all updated. The guy I spoke with told me they will only have my plane for 6 to 10 business days. Thanks everybody for all the advice and help.
Mar 16, 2010, 05:10 PM
making the world a weird place
Just a quick question since i thought this would be the best place for it, but i have heard quite a few people talking about using a 4S on the 30A stock esc with great results and no over heating, as long as you don't go WOT the whole flight. Is this a true statement?
Thanks in advance,
Colin.
Mar 16, 2010, 05:14 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-10_Flyer
Just a quick question since i thought this would be the best place for it, but i have heard quite a few people talking about using a 4S on the 30A stock esc with great results and no over heating, as long as you don't go WOT the whole flight. Is this a true statement?
Thanks in advance,
Colin.
Hi Colin,

That would depend in large part on what the ESC is rated for. On other words, what's the input voltage spread?
Mar 16, 2010, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
Hi Colin,

That would depend in large part on what the ESC is rated for. On other words, what's the input voltage spread?
Mine says 3-4s but the main thing i "worry" about is the motor. BTW, the ESC is the stock one that came with my T-28D.
Last edited by A-10_Flyer; Mar 16, 2010 at 05:17 PM. Reason: typo
Mar 16, 2010, 05:22 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Mine says 3-4s but the main thing i "worry" about is the motor. BTW, the ESC is the stock one that came with my T-28D.
Ahhh, I see now. There's no need to worry about the stock motor. It will take a 4s Li-Po very nicely. But you must prop down in size so that you don't pull too much current through the motor. (The prop size determines the current pulled by the motor, all else being equal).
Mar 16, 2010, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Ahhh, I see now. There's no need to worry about the stock motor. It will take a 4s Li-Po very nicely. But you must prop down in size so that you don't pull too much current through the motor. (The prop size determines the current pulled by the motor, all else being equal).
Like a 8x6 or a 9x5? That would be easy to get an APCe prop to do that.
Mar 16, 2010, 05:52 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Like a 8x6 or a 9x5? That would be easy to get an APCe prop to do that.
If you're looking to give the Trojan a kick in the pants, there's no need to go to 4s.

You want some stump pulling thrust? Stick on a GWS 11x7 HD prop on the stock motor and 3s Li-Po. Be prepared for a pleasant surprise...

Want some speed? Try an APC 10x10E prop; again on the stock motor.

Chuck
Mar 16, 2010, 09:46 PM
sKrude up, Rejected!
Quote:
If you're looking to give the Trojan a kick in the pants, there's no need to go to 4s.

You want some stump pulling thrust? Stick on a GWS 11x7 HD prop on the stock motor and 3s Li-Po. Be prepared for a pleasant surprise...

Want some speed? Try an APC 10x10E prop; again on the stock motor.

Chuck
Hi Chuck,
That is a great combo, might I suggest a 40a esc with that, it also comes in handy when you upgrade your motor.

Quick Reply