Apr 03, 2011, 05:22 AM
What's 3D?
That is coming along great mate, are you going with pull/pull controls or push rods?

Craig
to remove ads between posts
Apr 03, 2011, 11:42 AM
Reuben,
Yes mate, just score and crack the longerons.

Pete
Apr 03, 2011, 01:53 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumps
That is coming along great mate, are you going with pull/pull controls or push rods?

Craig
Hey Craig,
I'm thinking push rods with a small scale cover where they exit the fuse like on the fullsize
-Reuben
Apr 03, 2011, 01:53 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE
Reuben,
Yes mate, just score and crack the longerons.

Pete
Cheers Pete
Apr 04, 2011, 12:12 AM
Thread OP
A bit more progress made today.
I started to join the two fuse sides together, first the top side which is done with the fuse resting upside down over the plan and then the bottom but at a much slower rate as I forgot to pick up some more right angle squares...
I plan to have the last of the rear fuse framed up later tonight.
While that was drying I marked and drilled the front former for the motor mount.
-Reuben
Apr 04, 2011, 12:43 AM
Excellent work - coming along nicely. I just hope the other half doesn't catch you mutilating her clothes pegs!
Apr 04, 2011, 12:46 AM
As an aside if you make two sets of each horizontal to fit the top side and use the second so produced for the bottom side you are pretty much assured parallel sides once complete.
Apr 04, 2011, 12:54 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modelholic
As an aside if you make two sets of each horizontal to fit the top side and use the second so produced for the bottom side you are pretty much assured parallel sides once complete.
That sounds like a good tip, I got a bit enthusiastic and realised after I had finished the first set that I should have cut two of each....
Your pilot looks great!
-Reuben
Apr 07, 2011, 04:36 AM
Thread OP
I have now glued the front and rear fuse sections together and work is progressing well.
I have epoxied the motor mount in and added 3 degree's of down and right thrust while I was at it.
The servo rails are also mounted and work has begun on adding the upper former's.
-Reuben
Apr 07, 2011, 04:49 AM
You're going to have to start bending wire soon! There is no escape!
Apr 07, 2011, 05:16 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modelholic
You're going to have to start bending wire soon! There is no escape!
Simon,
I've bent the wire for the upper wing but..... I'm not looking forward to aligning it?
I might be best to wait untill I have the wings done?
-Reuben
Apr 07, 2011, 08:52 AM
Reuben,
If you kake up a simple jig - a strip for each fuselage side, another to sit on the fuselage sides (like an H) and a further strip across the top (for the strut ends to align with) - you shouldn't have too many problems. You can use the fuselage section drawing as a guide for making the jig and, as long as your wire bending is accurate, that should set up the front strut quite nicely. The rear strut, again given accurate wire bending, simply aligns with the top of the fuselage sides - although another jig wouldn't hurt things.

Before fitting the u/c wires, I'd suggest covering that area of fuselage bottom. Then you won't have to cover around the sewn in place wires. Unless, of course, you were intending to use P clips. Also remember, if you do bind the u/c wires, you need the top of the fuselage open, so you can still work from the inside.
Yes, I have done this before, and yes, that is how I found out.

Pete
Apr 07, 2011, 02:04 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE
Reuben,
If you kake up a simple jig - a strip for each fuselage side, another to sit on the fuselage sides (like an H) and a further strip across the top (for the strut ends to align with) - you shouldn't have too many problems. You can use the fuselage section drawing as a guide for making the jig and, as long as your wire bending is accurate, that should set up the front strut quite nicely. The rear strut, again given accurate wire bending, simply aligns with the top of the fuselage sides - although another jig wouldn't hurt things.

Before fitting the u/c wires, I'd suggest covering that area of fuselage bottom. Then you won't have to cover around the sewn in place wires. Unless, of course, you were intending to use P clips. Also remember, if you do bind the u/c wires, you need the top of the fuselage open, so you can still work from the inside.
Yes, I have done this before, and yes, that is how I found out.

Pete
Thanks Pete,
I will definitly be building a jig to align the top wing.
I was thinking of using p-clips to mount the u/c.
The build is going good so far and I havn't struck any problems
Winter has arrived here in the deep south so I should make good progress this weekend.
-Reuben
Apr 10, 2011, 07:31 AM
Reuben,

I hope your weekend has been productive and I look forward to seeing the pics. I guess if you haven't been posting here you must have been building!!

The graphics you have obtained from Caille are superb and I hope to obtain a set for the DVIII. I was wondering what sort of information you sent so that I might get mine together and send off for mine!
Apr 10, 2011, 08:45 AM
Or, like us in the UK, he's having a glorious day and has gone flying. As for me, I'm up to my ears in plotting DVII wing ribs and making sure the wing will actually fit the fuselage. Such fun!!!

Pete

Quick Reply