Dec 26, 2011, 03:12 PM
Fiddy Killa Voltz
Thread OP
Discussion

Selecting the next step - how does one choose?

Hi Everyone,

I have recently been getting into soaring. I have had a Radian Pro for a few weeks and am thoroughly hooked on looking for thermal lift. I would like to take the next step and get a nicer ship. I have flown on and off for several years and this is the first thing to get me addicted and out the door flying every day the weather allows.

I have been looking into 2-2.5m sailplanes, primarily F5J electrics as using a winch or hi-start has NO appeal to me at this point. Unfortunately, between Soaring USA, Espirit and Icare I need a bit of direction to come up with something I'll be satisfied with. Let's call my budget $1K including motor/ESC.

I like the Cumulus based on the thread currently active in this forum regarding its assembly, and it's sheeted wing looks durable. The Pulsar 2E and Bingo also look like viable contenders. The Orion 2.4E Carbon is appealing and is full-composite from what I have read.

There isn't nearly as much traffic on the forum about these sailplanes as there is regarding parkflyers and foamies so I am a bit in the dark about the wisest decision here.

So, does anyone have any thoughts? I'd appreciate any input I could get.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 26, 2011, 06:04 PM
somewhere in South America
Actually, have you seen Paul Naton's performance tuning of a Radian Pro? If interested, look here: http://glidefast.typepad.com/glidefa...d-set-ups.html. Trying these modifications will instill much valuable insight into how to get the most out of RC sailplanes.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
Dec 26, 2011, 07:14 PM
AMA 7224
If I may suggest from personal experiance with Top Model Avia 2.5 meter from Esprit is nothing but good. Aircraft is finished well with excellent Czech workmanship, it's easy to fit out and balance, radio and battery areas are easy to work in. You'll need a 2200 mah 3S Lipo battery for power which is a common size. With the MVVS setup Esprit recommends or the PJS-CZ 1400 Hotliner from ICARE, you should be climbing at about 1300-1500 fpm and be in the 150-170 watts/lb range. Sister ship with X- tail is the Prelude,both are full house machines.

Cost to fit out major items as listed below is around $629.00, so for $700.00 including the fiddly bits you'd be ready to go.

Avia/Prelude kit-- $295.00
MVVS 25 3.5/960 Sailplane Brushless Motor $98.00
Castle Creations Phoenix ICE Lite 50SB Brushless ESC -85.00
4- HS-65HB servo $112.00
2 -HS-65MG servo $56.00
BB Folding Alum spinner 40/5/8 $20.00
Aeronaut CAM Folding Propeller 12 x 8 $19.00

For a bit more money the Pulsar series is also a good choice. I just picked up the 3.2 metre RES/M but haven't flown her yet. I've seen several Pulsars in different sizes fly at contest and they do well. They are maybe just a ever so slight floaty plane compared to others but don't let that deter you . They are a well built high composite content ship with high degree of completion done for you.

Check out the Oracacle at PoleCat Aeroplane Works too. It's a newer plane on the market by some very experianced and accomplished sailplane designers and pilots and they're made in USA.
Last edited by Leadchucker; Dec 26, 2011 at 09:03 PM. Reason: bat speeling
Dec 26, 2011, 11:10 PM
Fiddy Killa Voltz
Thread OP
Dieter,

Thank you for the informative link. For the most part I share the common opinion to really tire out the Radian before stepping up. I am aware it is a decent plane, in fact even doing well in contests. However, I feel that my desires have outgrown the plane. I can thermal and remain aloft as long as I wish on nice days. I always spot land at my feet or catch the thing. I've in one form or another executed all the modifications posited by Paul. And now I just crave something nicer - I fly my Radian pretty much every day and want to have a better thing to play with. Know what I'm saying?

Leadchucker, I have glanced over a thread regarding the Avia. I'll go back and take a better look through it. I've seen Pulsars around and they seem quite popular. I love the look of the D-Box lots although I realize aesthetics aren't the most important thing The Oracle is something I have never seen/heard of, I'll check it out and do some searches for threads.

Thanks for the input guys!
Dec 27, 2011, 08:57 AM
eflyguy
You could also check out the for-sale forums and keep an eye on the models being sold there - you might find something that looks interesting.
There are simply so many choices, it's really all about budget and personal opinion than anything else.
..a
Dec 27, 2011, 09:20 AM
AMA 7224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W
....There are simply so many choices, it's really all about budget and personal opinion than anything else.
That's it short and sweet . Well said Andy.

Quick Reply