Mar 30, 2012, 08:15 AM
Thread OP
Idea

large landing gear for small planes

Last edited by gryphon krinsky; Apr 07, 2021 at 02:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 30, 2012, 08:38 AM
Real Time Recon
A set of these will keep your prop out of the grass and muck.Total weight 1.3 ozs.And 4.5" in Dia.They are the ones that go w/the Multiplex Fun Cub.And can be bought separately from Multiplex.
Mar 30, 2012, 08:43 AM
Building a better tomorrow
Well i only fly my P-47 (also nineeagles) on concrete floor/tarmac structures/asphalt. As we know, this is a 1C organism, so it doesn`t take to kindly to extra weight. I don`t know about you, but i never would have used this model on grass (unless some sort of artificial grass, worn down) I am very impressed with the NineEagles P-47, and i have heard that the Yak has a slightly more complex nature, but however this is to be my next NineEagles model for sure in the near future. They look the part to..although i see the ole spit isn`t pulling the scale representativeness meter to a new high :-(
Mar 31, 2012, 03:40 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornkipper
Well i only fly my P-47 (also nineeagles) on concrete floor/tarmac structures/asphalt. As we know, this is a 1C organism, so it doesn`t take to kindly to extra weight. I don`t know about you, but i never would have used this model on grass (unless some sort of artificial grass, worn down) I am very impressed with the NineEagles P-47, and i have heard that the Yak has a slightly more complex nature, but however this is to be my next NineEagles model for sure in the near future. They look the part to..although i see the ole spit isn`t pulling the scale representativeness meter to a new high :-(
so are you saying that my plane will probably crash if i ad on big wheels
Mar 31, 2012, 04:11 AM
Not necessarily, with the larger wheels the centre of mass in the plane would be lowered so it would indeed change it's flight characteristics slightly. However the ones in the link only weigh 6 grams each, so as long as you don't have to drastically change the existing undercarriage structure to mount them on, and as long as the centre of gravity stays where it is relative to the front and back of the aircraft then you'll have no problem imo. Someone else who owns that aircraft may say otherwise though
James
Mar 31, 2012, 04:14 AM
Actually, just seen how small that aircraft is, I agree that with a total flying weight of 35g then an extra 12g is quite substantial :/ Sorry, i'm not sure what alternative there are for you
James
Mar 31, 2012, 06:23 AM
Big wheels add a lot of drag and your plane will fly like a Pig.
I tried this in my um j3 and sucks.

Regards!
Mar 31, 2012, 07:06 AM
GWS SlowStick wheels are pretty ugly but pretty light.
Mar 31, 2012, 07:08 AM
Intermediate Multi
GWS makes some large diameter wheels with very low frontal area for low drag. They're great for touch-n-goes off baseball diamonds.
Apr 01, 2012, 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphon krinsky
i wanted to ask i have got a yak 54 from nine eagles and can not land it beacause the wheels are so small that they just get stuck on the grass and the plane pushes over forward is there any chance of making bigger wheels so that i can land.
No. Anything big enough to roll through grass will be too big for your plane. I think you would also have problems pushing through grass with such a light plane.

Your best bet is to take off the landing gear and belly land. You may want to protect the bottom of your plane and wing tips with clear packaging tape.
Apr 01, 2012, 02:49 PM
This is kid stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack the R
No. Anything big enough to roll through grass will be too big for your plane. I think you would also have problems pushing through grass with such a light plane.

Your best bet is to take off the landing gear and belly land. You may want to protect the bottom of your plane and wing tips with clear packaging tape.
+1

This is definitely what I would do.
Apr 02, 2012, 11:14 AM
Thread OP
Last edited by gryphon krinsky; Apr 07, 2021 at 02:11 AM.

Quick Reply