Oct 04, 2011, 02:32 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Why I like the Turnigy 9X w/ ER9X firmware

I got a 9X a couple months ago, and have since sold all of my Futaba stuff (including a 9CAP). I'm hooked on the ER9X firmware, and here is why:

I'm not familiar with all traditional radio systems, but with the Futabas I've used, the philosophy seems to be that Futbaba will try to think of all the different mixes and flying modes that you might ever need, then program custom mixes for them. The user's job is to figure out what mix matches his specific configuration, then try to get it set up properly. If there isn't a mix for your configuration, then you try to figure out how to modify one of the existing mixes to suit your needs.

With the ER9X you are given the basic building blocks to create a custom mix, and expected to create it on your own. The thing is, you don't have to figure out what all the built-in mixes do (since there really aren't any). You decide what you want your control surface to do, then build up a few mixes to achieve it. It's so simple and intuitive.

Also I like the many informational screens, telling you stick position, switch state, channel output sliders, ADC output etc. Also, being able to calibrate the sticks is awesome. And the trainer function is really flexible. For me, it has been like a quantum leap in TX usability.

I'm not claiming that other TX's don't already do this, or that the ER9X is an original idea. (I really don't know) I'm just saying that I'll take it over Futaba any day. Just wanted to get that off my chest.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 04, 2011, 09:09 PM
Toilet paper profiteer
Thanks for the useful information.

My experience is limited, but I enjoy tinkering for its own sake and I've been thinking about rolling up my sleeves with er9x even if it's just a side project, for now.

The "basic building blocks" thing holds lots of appeal. I prefer it to presets, because I don't want significant implementation details hidden from me. Also, sometimes it seems quicker to build up the profile from scratch, rather than fight those niggling issues that can arise when the preset doesn't entirely match the requirements.
Oct 05, 2011, 06:48 AM
I work with IT so in the weekends I like simple and intuitive things. I had a Futaba 6XAS in the past, actually it was a nice radio, but for some reason I was flying a complicated model and messed the config for some reason in the morning on a camping site. Since I had no user manual near, I spend half hour to set up it again to fly.

I sold it and keep my simple 7YF. Of course it has no mixers, but I'm an electrical engineer, so I just wrote some microcontroller firmwares to do that and until a few years ago I was feeling it was easier to code the needed mixers on a MCU than using a computer radio.

Then I got Turnigy 9x and ER9x, and now I can simply write the mixers I want on the fly very easily.

The screens are simple, just a few clicks and you pass through all menus without the need of entering a complicated tree to find what you want, and I can do anything I want.

Need to organize channels (i.e. 4 wing servos on channels 1..4, rudder on 5, elevators on 6/7)? Easy... Need to set throtthe to work only on top half and use half half to butterfly? Easy. Need to slow down servos? Easy...

Need to teach two friends to fly, but one have an Airtronics radio and other a JR? Easy.

Need to use flaperon+elevator on a 3-channel RX? Easy.

Of course there are other radios with much of these, I have a Hitec Aurora 9 also and it is great, and some friends have Futaba 8FG and they are also very flexible.

But not that flexible...
Oct 05, 2011, 10:44 PM
I like not having to choose the mixes, like you said. But also being to add as many of anything you like. If I have a 1 servo plane and I want all the sticks to control it, I can.
If I have an 8 servo plane, and I need them to all move , even at different speeds, directions, curves, or do anything, with one stick, I can.

Another thought is I believe it can do things other radios can't. I was reading a thread on B2 bombers, and they were using v tail mixers and such. I was able to set up the duckerons with a 4 servo setup in my radio. Thought is was pretty cool, even if I NEVER make a model with duckerons.
Oct 06, 2011, 04:55 AM
My JR has been collecting dust since I got my 9x.

er9x is indeed fantastic! expecially for when it comes to doing the not so ordinary things, like quad copters and UAV's. I can assign anything to anything. No limits!

I like the fact that they also have a "NO TEMPLATE" version. It free's up memory and is perfect for us people how dont like using templates.

Iv also just added on screen telemetry using the Frsky module. Fantastic!
Oct 06, 2011, 07:09 AM
yeap, i agree, with er9x you got the letters and with them you make the sentences
with other radios you got the words and you make the sentences.

and nothing is hidden! thats a real plus, everything can be understood, i sold my bulky and heavy and nice JR-3810 after get a 9x,
a bit less quality at first touch but good enough, more lightweight, more options... love it.
Oct 06, 2011, 08:47 AM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
Quote:
Originally Posted by fregon45
..I'm not familiar with all traditional radio systems, but with the Futabas I've used, the philosophy seems to be that Futbaba will try to think of all the different mixes and flying modes that you might ever need, then program custom mixes for them. The user's job is to figure out what mix matches his specific configuration, then try to get it set up properly. If there isn't a mix for your configuration, then you try to figure out how to modify one of the existing mixes to suit your needs. ...
Like you I am not 100% familiar with Futaba but my Spektrum radio has the best of both worlds after reading what you describe.

It has default mixes of some of the more popular mixes pilots use as well as having user programmable mixes.

I was sure my brothers Futaba was the same..

It's a shame my LHS does not stock the 9X, would luv to be able to play with it a bit more.
Oct 06, 2011, 09:36 AM
Thread OP
It's not so much that Futaba doesn't have programmable mixes, it does. They just aren't as flexible or as powerful as in er9x. With futaba, you use the programmable mixes usually only as an addition to the default mixes. If you have a really unique setup, you really have to get creative (not in a good way) to get the futaba to do it. With er9x, if you can think of it, you can do it (at least that's how it feels).

Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
Like you I am not 100% familiar with Futaba but my Spektrum radio has the best of both worlds after reading what you describe.

It has default mixes of some of the more popular mixes pilots use as well as having user programmable mixes.

I was sure my brothers Futaba was the same..

It's a shame my LHS does not stock the 9X, would luv to be able to play with it a bit more.
Oct 06, 2011, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcmag
I work with IT so in the weekends I like simple and intuitive things. I had a Futaba 6XAS in the past, actually it was a nice radio, but for some reason I was flying a complicated model and messed the config for some reason in the morning on a camping site. Since I had no user manual near, I spend half hour to set up it again to fly.

I sold it and keep my simple 7YF. Of course it has no mixers, but I'm an electrical engineer, so I just wrote some microcontroller firmwares to do that and until a few years ago I was feeling it was easier to code the needed mixers on a MCU than using a computer radio.

Then I got Turnigy 9x and ER9x, and now I can simply write the mixers I want on the fly very easily.

The screens are simple, just a few clicks and you pass through all menus without the need of entering a complicated tree to find what you want, and I can do anything I want.

Need to organize channels (i.e. 4 wing servos on channels 1..4, rudder on 5, elevators on 6/7)? Easy... Need to set throtthe to work only on top half and use half half to butterfly? Easy. Need to slow down servos? Easy...

Need to teach two friends to fly, but one have an Airtronics radio and other a JR? Easy.

Need to use flaperon+elevator on a 3-channel RX? Easy.

Of course there are other radios with much of these, I have a Hitec Aurora 9 also and it is great, and some friends have Futaba 8FG and they are also very flexible.

But not that flexible...
I have bought the FlySky radio and waiting for programmer to flash the radio, I have asked on an italian forum about servo slow down possibility with ER9x software but got no answer: is this really possible? I plan to use the radio on a slope soarer with butterfly and was just going to buy a servo slow down module, thus should be no longer necessary.....
FrSky telemetry will be next step!
Oct 06, 2011, 04:18 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by robonave
I have bought the FlySky radio and waiting for programmer to flash the radio, I have asked on an italian forum about servo slow down possibility with ER9x software but got no answer: is this really possible? I plan to use the radio on a slope soarer with butterfly and was just going to buy a servo slow down module, thus should be no longer necessary.....
FrSky telemetry will be next step!
Absolutely - I use it on all my planes with flaps... And crow is just beautiful...
Oct 06, 2011, 05:07 PM
This radio does not stop to amaze me and I do not have started yet!
The slow down is possible both with analogic and digital servo?
Oct 06, 2011, 05:41 PM
Toilet paper profiteer
Quote:
The tx and rx presumably don't "know" whether the servos plugged into the rx are analog, digital, or a mix of the two types. The difference is internal to the servo itself.
Oct 06, 2011, 06:02 PM
>The slow down is possible both with analogic and digital servo?

I use the slowdown feature to give my heli a soft start on the throttle.

My favorite feature of the er9x is the flexibility of the timer. I have mine so that it starts counting up after I turn off throttle hold, and move the throttle above 5%.
Oct 06, 2011, 08:31 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Quote:
Correct - doesn't matter

Quick Reply