Jan 03, 2013, 03:40 PM

Lions, and Tigers, and Wings, Oh my!

Speed37,

You probably already tried this, but I've found on EPP foam that a light coating of 3M77 spray adhesive first on the foam, then on the tape really helps the tape and the covering to stick (plus it takes less heat). It's never a perfectly smooth covering, but with some effort, it seems to smooth out fairly well. The same seems to work with hinging as well.

Just a thought.

BTID,

TIO
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2013, 04:09 PM
Gone Flyin'
Where I went wrong I think is using any tape at all. I probably should have made the hinge out of "new stuff" instead as it sticks to itself aggressively. Also the ultracoat sticks well to the "new stuff".

I haven't tried the tape covering method with the spray adhesive. New to EPP foam, but have decided that I'm going to need a tough sloper to fly close to home.
Latest blog entry: Xplorer F5J
Jan 03, 2013, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed37
Where I went wrong I think is using any tape at all. I probably should have made the hinge out of "new stuff" instead as it sticks to itself aggressively. Also the ultracoat sticks well to the "new stuff".

I haven't tried the tape covering method with the spray adhesive. New to EPP foam, but have decided that I'm going to need a tough sloper to fly close to home.
Speed37,

I forgot to mention that I've used a lot of coverings, and I tend to like Monokote. I know others who are fans of Ultracoat, but I've found Monokote to be very tough for a mylar and seems to handle the heat well.

My first aileron sailplane was a balsa/ply model that I spent a lot of time on. I was so afraid to fly it, my younger brother had to maiden it for me. After that, I hung it in my study for a couple years while I took my practice on a 126 foamie. Man, did that plane do a lot of cartwheels! Once I had some success, I was hooked. I finally had to burn that plane in the burn barrel after my other brother piled straight into the ground from about 200 feet up. The fuse was never quite the same after that!

Anyway, good to see you planning to do some sloping.

BTID,

TIO
Jan 04, 2013, 12:07 AM
Planecrazy
Boy Chip,
I don't know if you could handle all of the beauty out here, I wouldn't want to overload your senses. I mean, a man can only handle so much
Jan 04, 2013, 03:10 AM
Surf's up!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom Flyer
Boy Chip,
I don't know if you could handle all of the beauty out here, I wouldn't want to overload your senses. I mean, a man can only handle so much
That is some very enticing scenery! One has to think though, maybe you are hiding the best parts

Being out of work for a year really has me weighing my options, which are not many right now. I guess I will just stay in school for now.

Chip
Jan 04, 2013, 04:50 AM
Planecrazy
Chip,
It's been pretty tough being away, I have missed out on a lot of things this year, b-ball games, birthdays, Anniversary, Thanksgiving,had to leave the day after Christmas and was gone for New Years Tough on the spouse. I realize weighing the options doesn't pay the bills but I would carefully think about it before making a rash decision. As far as here there's nothing going on with this company right now in the hiring department, if I hear of anything I'll let you know. Tracy
Jan 04, 2013, 06:58 PM
Gone Flyin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiotsBaby
Speed37,

I forgot to mention that I've used a lot of coverings, and I tend to like Monokote. I know others who are fans of Ultracoat, but I've found Monokote to be very tough for a mylar and seems to handle the heat well.

My first aileron sailplane was a balsa/ply model that I spent a lot of time on. I was so afraid to fly it, my younger brother had to maiden it for me. After that, I hung it in my study for a couple years while I took my practice on a 126 foamie. Man, did that plane do a lot of cartwheels! Once I had some success, I was hooked. I finally had to burn that plane in the burn barrel after my other brother piled straight into the ground from about 200 feet up. The fuse was never quite the same after that!

Anyway, good to see you planning to do some sloping.

BTID,

TIO

Thats a good story.

I was going to get back into sloping before I moved to Helena. We lived in Glasgow. Rolling hills and good slopes everywhere, not to mention lots of wind. Anyway, I purchased an Orion a little over a year ago with the intent of doing a bunch of flying up north. It's very ironic that I moved from the plains to the mountains, and can't find a slope with any decent landing area. no way I'll fly it on anything I've seen here yet. So...got the Weasel, it'll take some of the LZ's I think.

Quote:
Speed37,
This is my F-20, Guiotsbaby built it! I think for a foamie it looks pretty amazing, He did a beautiful job covering first with tape then Monocote. FF
Saw that plane before in a photo somewhere on here, never would have gussed it was a foamie. Very nicely done. Looks fast too....
Jan 06, 2013, 08:05 PM
Surf's up!!

Robbie's Christmas Present

Hey All,

Here is what we are working on. Robbie has been working on his Mamba Combat Wing this weekend, helping where he can. We are almost ready for the covering. He is sanding the fin mount block right now.

Thanks,
Chip
Jan 06, 2013, 08:11 PM
Surf's up!!
Quote:
Chip,
It's been pretty tough being away, I have missed out on a lot of things this year, b-ball games, birthdays, Anniversary, Thanksgiving,had to leave the day after Christmas and was gone for New Years Tough on the spouse. I realize weighing the options doesn't pay the bills but I would carefully think about it before making a rash decision. As far as here there's nothing going on with this company right now in the hiring department, if I hear of anything I'll let you know. Tracy
Thanks for the reply Tracy,

In the last ten years I have missed many of those things, due to working nights, weekends and holidays. Even this last year money has been scarce, I have been able to enjoy those things, I would not trade them for anything. Just like right now, building Robbie's combat wing with him, priceless. When I rationalize things like this, I talk myself out of jobs like that.

Hopefully the economy will pick back up and you can go back to doing what you normally do and get back to your family.

Talk to ya soon,
Chip
Jan 06, 2013, 10:33 PM
Gone Flyin'
Hey that Mamba is lookin' good!
Jan 07, 2013, 06:46 PM
Planecrazy
Is there such a thing as a good looking flying wing? Sorry old habits die hard, I've got a Zaggie a friend of mine gave me still in the box probably 12-13 years ago, can't seem to get myself to use up the radio gear in it let alone build it. I guess if someone gave me something already built with radio gear in it I might fly it?? :-)
Last edited by Freedom Flyer; Jan 07, 2013 at 06:51 PM.
Jan 07, 2013, 07:02 PM

Flying Wing

Quote:
Is there such a thing as a good looking flying wing? Sorry old habits die hard, I've got a Zaggie a friend of mine gave me still in the box probably 12-13 years ago, can't seem to get myself to use up the radio gear in it let alone build it. I guess if someone gave me something already built with radio gear in it I might fly it?? :-)
FF,

Traitor.

TIO
Jan 07, 2013, 07:14 PM
Planecrazy
Traitor? You calling me a Traitor? Did you not read what I wrote? Dave thought he was doing me a favor giving me that thing. I might wrap it up and give it back to him. Traitor! Hmm. Back in my day they didn't have those new fangled flying wings so we could get disoriented and crash them into our skulls, just standard designed planes! And we liked it!
Jan 08, 2013, 02:44 AM
Surf's up!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed37
Hey that Mamba is lookin' good!

Thanks Rod!

Quote:
Sure there is Horten had some very sexy designs

I can sympathize with you though, up until now, I have been both resistant to EPP and Combat wings, but, it seems a good way to get Robbie up and going on the slope. Especially around here, where all we have to land on is ROCK, If we had a nice slope with a nice LZ ( like Tabel Top) within reasonable driving distance, I would teach him on a Wanderer or Gentle Lady.

Besides, I will be building mine here next, so him and I can go fly together and do combat and that sounds like a lot of fun!

Build that Zagi, Freedom, having a plane you can't fly is like having a car you can't drive or gun you can't shoot, what's the point, LOL!

Anyway, more work done on the Mamba tonight, center section 3M-77'ed, taped and whole plane covered in New Stuff. All that is left is to cover the elevons in New Stuff, hinge them, and add color via Ultracote.

Thanks,
Chip

Quick Reply