Dec 22, 2011, 04:55 PM
Mile High Pilot
Thread OP
Discussion

Next "next" plane

Im hoping to soon get my “Next” plane, and hope I can gather some ideas/thoughts here. Last year, I received some EXCELLENT ideas that ultimately led me to the purchase of my 3DHS Extra 300 SHP, currently my favorite airframe.

First some background: I’ve flown through 2 seasons now, logging just shy of 700 flights, and almost 5000 minutes of flying time. I love flying aerobatics, and have been working on some 3D skills, although Im a LONG way from being proficient. I currently have (not including UM birds) a HZ Super Cub (not flown in quite a while), a PZ T-28, a PZ Stinson Reliant SR10, and the 3DHS Extra 300 SHP. I flew the SHP initially as a sport plane, slowly edging up the control throws to the manual recommendations for full 3D.

As mentioned, I love flying aerobatics, and I’ve been craving a little more speed. I also think I would like something a little larger, and I intend to join our local electric club for next season (so Ill have an appropriate field for a bit larger plane). Im thinking I would love to get into a mid sized plan (60-70in), and have looked at 3DHS and Extreme Flight’s offerings in that size. They ALL look awesome.

A few other thoughts on requirements:
  • Mid sized electric (60”-70”)
  • 3D capable, but does not need to be a 3D specialized plane
  • Preferably something that would let me continue to use my DX6i TX (don’t really want to take the budget hit for a new TX at this time if possible)
  • A plane well suited to experimenting with IMAC competition. Its something I think I MIGHT enjoy, but would probably just try basic sometime next season once to see if I like it. Again, not necessarily a SPECIALIZED IMAC plane.
  • Transportable in a relatively small car (ok to remove wings).
  • Suitable for my skills without excessive risk to plane (would characterize myself as intermediate and trying to stretch a bit)
  • Prefer an ARF, but might be willing to try a well thought out kit. (Haven’t built since the 70’s, so whatever skills I had are SEVERLY dated)

I suspect most of the Extreme Flight and 3DHS planes would be excellent, but am certainly open to other ideas as well.

Appreciate your thoughts!

jc
to remove ads between posts
Dec 23, 2011, 12:51 AM
Closed Account
The 65" Vyper would fit these needs.
http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/65-Vyper-...w_p_15261.html

There's a small following here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...light=65+vyper

I had the smaller one for a few months, and it is a hybrid pattern/3D. It works well with the Omega 130g and 4S.
Dec 23, 2011, 10:40 AM
Mile High Pilot
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777
The 65" Vyper would fit these needs.
http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/65-Vyper-...w_p_15261.html

There's a small following here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...light=65+vyper

I had the smaller one for a few months, and it is a hybrid pattern/3D. It works well with the Omega 130g and 4S.
The Vyper is definitely in the running - I've seen the smaller Vyper in the hands of a pretty skilled 3D pilot, and it was impressive.

Does anyone have a view of how the 65 would fly differently from the 46" or the 48" Super Vyper? I'm asking because I suspect the 48 would actually fit in my car without removing the wings, and Im almost sure the 46 would (If I could find one). Having said that, the reason I am thinking mid size is to get a little extra stability (and have something noticeably different from my 47" Extra 300 SHP).

>>>EDIT - reviewing both the 48 Super Vyper, and the thread you posted, looks like there is going to be some info about the differences there. Guess I should read more before posting next question!! <<<<<

jc
Last edited by milehighjc; Dec 23, 2011 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Additional info
Dec 23, 2011, 10:44 AM
Mile High Pilot
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boelcke
Interesting, I dont think I even realized that HK carried something like this. Interesting to have a foamie of this size! Also a VERY new plane, will be interesting to see what people experience with this. A bipe would definitely be something DIFFERENT in my hangar. I know a guy that has an E-flight Rhapsody, it is very cool looking in the air.'

jc
Dec 23, 2011, 05:55 PM
Just having fun
Liking that 3DHS Extra SHP, eh? I knew you would. I sure fly the heck out of mine. My yellow V2 SHP just finished its 4th season and I have a new, blue V3 ready to take its place.

If you are interested in a bipe, wait a few months. 3DHS has a Vyper Bipe that is expected to be released in the spring. Not much info but you know how they design planes so the Vyper Bipe should be something special.

If you are looking to IMAC/pattern, the 3DHS Osiris is right there. It comes in a 62" model. In addition, the Extreme Flight RC aircraft are generally designed toward IMAC/pattern flying. They have the Extra 300 in 60" and 70" and they have a 60" Edge 540. An IMAC style of plane generally will have more length than a 3D plane. Shorter tails will do 3D stuff better. Longer tails are better at precision. You may want to check out Percision Aerobatics planes too. I have heard lots of good things about them.

I would stay away from HobbyKing planes unless you just plane don't want to spend the money for a high quality product from a reputable company.

Good luck.

Freddy

p.s. - Did you ever take Scott Stoops up on the offer to fly with you?
Dec 23, 2011, 06:07 PM
Mile High Pilot
Thread OP
Freddy,
I gotta say it, I'm COMPLETELY sold on 3DHS. My Extra is still a dream ship for me, it never fails to make me grin from ear to ear. I love how having it set up for sport flight early let me ease in. As my skills developed, it was simply a matter of changing the throws, and it was like I had a whole new airplane.

I was not aware that 3DHS was working on a Vyper biplane. That sounds like another non-stop grinfest.

I've looked at the Extreme Flight 60" Edge 540 - looks like a nice bird too, and they seem to have quite the following here too.

RE: Scott - I've met him now several times, but have not had the pleasure of flying with him yet. Hope to do that this season should the opportunity present itself - he now lives fairly near me. Scott was awesome when I was building my SHP - all I can say is 3DHS does earn their reputation for outstanding customer support.

Now... off to search for info about that Vyper Bipe... I love having something "different" - that could be quite the addition.

Ahem... this looks WICKED cool
Vyper Bype (3 min 59 sec)

jc
Last edited by milehighjc; Dec 23, 2011 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Adding link
Dec 24, 2011, 07:45 AM
Just having fun
Nice vid. Thanks for posting. There is a good chance that the Vyper Bipe will be my next plane. I have been wanting a bipe in my hanger and this one stands way out above the rest.

Freddy
Dec 24, 2011, 03:23 PM
Just having fun
Oh, there is one manufacturer I forgot to mention that is worth checking out, Aero Works. Most of their planes are giant scale but they have some smaller models and are starting to come out with electric models. Their Freestyle Extra 260 is built for electric only. It is a nice plane with outboard and inboard SFG's and air foiled tail. It looks really nice but I do not know much about it.

Freddy
Dec 27, 2011, 07:24 PM
Mile High Pilot
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredriksson
Oh, there is one manufacturer I forgot to mention that is worth checking out, Aero Works. Most of their planes are giant scale but they have some smaller models and are starting to come out with electric models. Their Freestyle Extra 260 is built for electric only. It is a nice plane with outboard and inboard SFG's and air foiled tail. It looks really nice but I do not know much about it.

Freddy
Looks like they have some interesting stuff. The Extra 52 is pretty close to my existing Extra 300 SHP 47, although those inboard SFG's are an interesting twist. Wonder how dramatic the effect is?

The Stingray also is an interesting looking plane too, although it looks like a more dedicated pattern/precision plane.

The 65" Vyper really seems to be getting a lot of nice things said about it... but the Vyper Bipe really has me intrigued if it comes out reasonably soon...

jc
Dec 27, 2011, 08:52 PM
ExtremeFlight is another brand to look for -- neck and neck with 3DHS, and with a reputation for being quite rugged (as these things go.)
Dec 27, 2011, 09:05 PM
Mile High Pilot
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b
ExtremeFlight is another brand to look for -- neck and neck with 3DHS, and with a reputation for being quite rugged (as these things go.)
The ExtremeFlight 60" Edge 540T, and the 70" Extra 300 EXP were a couple of the planes that I had identified from my first pass... I really don't know much about them, but they look like exceptional airplanes, and seem to have a lot of support here.

Im starting to second guess my mid size requirement a LITTLE bit... It seems very enticing (I keep reading how much more stable they fly, and actually sound like they are EASIER in some ways), but anything much over 50 and Im almost certainly having to take the wings off of it to get to the field. Im trying to balance the hassle of that vs the improved flight performance.

I think I want to make a final decision by early/mid Jan, and hope to get it flight ready by spring (pretty early here actually).

jc
Dec 27, 2011, 09:16 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighjc
The ExtremeFlight 60" Edge 540T, and the 70" Extra 300 EXP were a couple of the planes that I had identified from my first pass... I really don't know much about them, but they look like exceptional airplanes, and seem to have a lot of support here.

Im starting to second guess my mid size requirement a LITTLE bit... It seems very enticing (I keep reading how much more stable they fly, and actually sound like they are EASIER in some ways), but anything much over 50 and Im almost certainly having to take the wings off of it to get to the field. Im trying to balance the hassle of that vs the improved flight performance.

I think I want to make a final decision by early/mid Jan, and hope to get it flight ready by spring (pretty early here actually).

jc
I have a 30% SBach 342, and hardly ever take it out. I live in an apartment, and it is freaking huge to transport. That said, it flies well, but not that much better than a 48"...It depends on what you are looking for. IMO.
Dec 27, 2011, 09:28 PM
Mile High Pilot
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777
I have a 30% SBach 342, and hardly ever take it out. I live in an apartment, and it is freaking huge to transport. That said, it flies well, but not that much better than a 48"...It depends on what you are looking for. IMO.
Hmmm.

You are spot onto why Im second guessing myself a little. That is exactly what I DONT want to have happen - Have a significant investment in the plane, and then not want to hassle with transporting it.

My 47" Extra 300 SHP fits neatly in the back seat of my car - so its still possible to be on my way to fly lass than 10 mins after I decide to go, and flying in 15 (field is only about a mile away).

BUT... its not the best choice if the wind is gusty, or perhaps if I want to fly fast or precision (Im not CERTAIN a mid size is better, I just sense that it is).

It is nice to be in this hobby right now however - the number of choices is huge, and there are MANY MANY good ones. Almost cant go wrong.

jc
Dec 28, 2011, 06:57 AM
Just having fun
There is another advantage to a bigger plane beyond stable flight and more weight for windy conditions - you can take longer up lines and still be able to see the plane well. And then when you take the down line, because it is up higher, you have more time on the down line before the ground gets too close.

With a smaller plane your up lines are limited by vision and down lines are shorter and do not allow the time to do much aerobatics on the way down.

I think that for most other aerobatics the smaller planes hold their own pretty well.

Freddy

Quick Reply