Dec 09, 2012, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT.
A 20X9 and 24X9 would also be nice. Falcon now has a carbon 24X9 what I want to try on my Hacker Q80. Joe Smith is using one on one of his planes...

SteveT
How do you like the Q80? What packs are you using and flight times are you getting? I'm trying to get a electric 50cc planed out.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2012, 04:25 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
LOVE the Q80. It is definitely the motor of choice for a 50C plane (IMO). It is a bit expensive, but puts out 5600 watts (7.5 horsepower). I get about 6 minutes, but I am not easy on the throttle. And I use two Thunder Power 6S 45C 5000mAH packs. I did fly it on some Zippy Flightmax 6S 30C 5000mAH packs, and they flew the plane fine. The plane would definitely handle some larger packs, and if I had the money, I would like some bigger ones, but alas, it is not to be...

SteveT
Latest blog entry: My old shop....
Dec 09, 2012, 11:05 PM
A little winter flying today
Watch in HD
71 slick winter flying (6 min 31 sec)
Dec 09, 2012, 11:08 PM
Santi
Quote:
LOVE the Q80. It is definitely the motor of choice for a 50C plane (IMO). It is a bit expensive, but puts out 5600 watts (7.5 horsepower). I get about 6 minutes, but I am not easy on the throttle. And I use two Thunder Power 6S 45C 5000mAH packs. I did fly it on some Zippy Flightmax 6S 30C 5000mAH packs, and they flew the plane fine. The plane would definitely handle some larger packs, and if I had the money, I would like some bigger ones, but alas, it is not to be...

SteveT
For the price of the motor, the cost of the packs, and the short flight times-- i don't know if this would catch on with the majority unless that price came way down!

Not saying the power and torque isn't awesome, cause it is! But the price you pay for what you get is kinda ridiculous!
Dec 09, 2012, 11:10 PM
Nice flying.....but, oh hell NO!! too darn cold for my old bones!!

SteveT
Dec 09, 2012, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D
For the price of the motor, the cost of the packs, and the short flight times-- i don't know if this would catch on with the majority unless that price came way down!

Not saying the power and torque isn't awesome, cause it is! But the price you pay for what you get is kinda ridiculous!
Yeah, when I bought mine, it was $110.00 less than it is now....I agree it's pretty darn expensive!!

SteveT
Dec 09, 2012, 11:14 PM
Santi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44
A little winter flying today
Watch in HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdEQBeaG9Ss&feature=plcp
Where's that flying field on RF 6.5?
Dec 09, 2012, 11:15 PM
Quote:

I don't prefer to fly for more then 6 minutes at a time anyway. Also, cost is comparable to gas... Especially if you have the charging system and batts.
Dec 09, 2012, 11:17 PM
Santi
Quote:
Yeah, when I bought mine, it was $110.00 less than it is now....I agree it's pretty darn expensive!!

SteveT
It's crazy! $1000+ for motor, esc, and some packs... I'd take the DA 60 over that any day!

I'm sure, like everything else, the price will come down over time. I'm sure the release of other 60cc electric options will help bring down the cost as well.. Only time will tell..

I don't tend to fly over 6 or 7 minutes much either, but I guess what you said (if you have the packs) would be the key.. An electric motor also needs an ESC that would bump the cost up. Combine that with lipos-- forget about it! I don't think the cost is very comparable at the moment, but I'm sure it will be soon.. That's one pricey setup right now.. but like all electric-- i'm sure the cost will come down substantially in time...
Last edited by DaaBears; Dec 09, 2012 at 11:22 PM.
Dec 09, 2012, 11:18 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
Quote:
It's crazy! $1000+ for motor, esc, and some packs... I'd take the DA 60 over that any day!

I'm sure, like everything else, the price will come down over time. I'm sure the release of other 60cc electric options will help bring down the cost as well.. Only time will tell..
its not all about money either. its about what you are comfortable with and what makes you enjoy your flight time more. if you already have 8x 6s5000 packs, then getting the motor and esc is worth it. especially if it gives you the confidence to fly lower rather than get a gasser and be nervous and not enjoy it. to each his own
Dec 09, 2012, 11:21 PM
Quote:

I don't tend to fly over 6 or 7 minutes much either, but I guess what you said (if you have the packs) would be the key.. Remember, and electric motor also needs an ESC...
My Q80 at 5600 watts (7.5 HP) has more power than the DA-60.....

Also, I don't have a place to store a gas plane. I store my planes inside my home, and I couldn't (wouldn't) do that with a gasser...

SteveT
Dec 09, 2012, 11:24 PM
It's not a whole lot more after you add exhaust and all the accessories. I like to plug and go. A guy spent a hour in the cold tinkering with his gas today. I know if you get it right you don't have to dink with it, but watching that gentleman today made me appreciate my electric. I would be more inclined but those two towers in the back of my flying field reck havoc with the ignition on gas engines.
Dec 09, 2012, 11:27 PM
Santi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21
its not all about money either. its about what you are comfortable with and what makes you enjoy your flight time more. if you already have 8x 6s5000 packs, then getting the motor and esc is worth it. especially if it gives you the confidence to fly lower rather than get a gasser and be nervous and not enjoy it. to each his own
Quote:
My Q80 at 5600 watts (7.5 HP) has more power than the DA-60.....

Also, I don't have a place to store a gas plane. I store my planes inside my home, and I couldn't (wouldn't) do that with a gasser...

SteveT
All valid points! Gas smell does prevent from storing indoors... like i said, if you have the packs that's completely different. I was just comparing as if one didn't already have a stash of 6s packs lying around! Trust me- I am loving the numbers i'm seeing with the electric 50-60cc's out there, but I think they are a long ways away from being an option for someone like me... Electric is so much easier, but when you get to that 50cc level, the cost vs advantage changes a bit in my opinion.. I'll take my 30cc sized electric plane over a gas any day, but for me, that 50cc+ is where I switch to gas... Hopefully in the next few years, the cost allows me to dabble in electric giant scale!!
Dec 10, 2012, 01:57 AM
inverted-i-fly
Quote:
Nice flying.....but, oh hell NO!! too darn cold for my old bones!!

SteveT
+1, can't do it
Dec 10, 2012, 08:37 AM
doh!
I've got a buddy with a gas 89, I have an electric one. First powered with an a60-18l, and then later I slapped a Q80 on it that I picked up from a fellow addict at a decent price. Anyways I've flown his gas one back to back with my Q80 powered one. Vastly different... the gas one has much more speed and seems much better suited to flying high energy stuff, imac stuff, precision flying, etc. The electric one is much much more comfortable down low on the deck. I wasn't nearly as comfortable on the gas one doing really low harriers and hovers. The electric one feels stupid easy down low. But the electric one lacks top end speed, and you know when flying full throttle that your batteries are just running down super fast and cutting your flight time short.
I like both, but think I prefer the electric one overall. That said I do want a gas 78" MXS when ExtremeFlight comes out with them just to really get comfortable on gas and see if I like it as much/more than my electric 89. It definitely isn't about money, the electric one is on par with, if not more than a gas one. And that assumes you already have the packs.

Quick Reply