Oct 09, 2012, 06:55 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburn
I have the same problem but I don't think there's anything g I can do about it. It's a mod kit for a dx7
Yeah, I can see that. I have my old DX7 for backup, so how do you like that timer mod kit? I now run a DX8 and indoorheli looks to be running a DX18 due to the antenna in the video. If my lowly DX8 can do it, I'm sure his wonder radio can do it based on throttle output percentage and not simply stick position.

When I first flew the DX8, before learning the difference, I didn't like my timer shutting off in the lower 1/4 or so range of stick travel since I spend a lot of time inverted. I'd kill my battery well before the timer did go off or even alert me at the 1 min to go mark and that's with any of my CP helis, not just the 130 X.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 09, 2012, 07:33 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvnation
I noticed your TX beeping during flips. Is that your throttle timer when you transition through low stick in idle-up? If you set it to start/stop based on a throttle output percentage instead of a physical stick percentage, it won't do that. I know it probably doesn't really matter in the grand scheme, but I didn't like my TX beeping and timer stopping/starting every time I went through 1/4 low stick in idle-up. So, I changed it to a throttle output of 25% (independent of stick position, based on throttle curve) and the timer only beeps/stops going to low stick in NORM since my idle-up 2 and is a straight 100% "curve" and my idle-up 1 never drops below 25% at full low stick. Just thought that might help. If you do that on purpose, I'm curious as to why.

Yeah it is on purpose and it is one of my timers. One is set one time throttle out 5% and the other is set for anything above 25%. I have them both set to beep since currently on the dx18 what options you pick for the first timer fall upon the second timer as well.

The reason for that is I dont fly flipping like a dying fish every flight. I like to do some mellow flights with constant spot landings and such. So at that point the single timer doesn't give me an accurate time to stop but I can rely on my second timer for when I should land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji
Nice flight. Yep, at the headspeed my heli is running now, a little vibration would probably blow the heli apart in mid-air.
thanks..
yeah it would be interesting to see on video but not fun to search for the pieces
What flight times are you getting flying your new motor?

I just ordered some new batteries for my helis so hopefully it'll give me a bit more power until I do a motor change.
Oct 09, 2012, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Yeah, I can see that. I have my old DX7 for backup, so how do you like that timer mod kit? I now run a DX8 and indoorheli looks to be running a DX18 due to the antenna in the video. If my lowly DX8 can do it, I'm sure his wonder radio can do it based on throttle output percentage and not simply stick position.

When I first flew the DX8, before learning the difference, I didn't like my timer shutting off in the lower 1/4 or so range of stick travel since I spend a lot of time inverted. I'd kill my battery well before the timer did go off or even alert me at the 1 min to go mark and that's with any of my CP helis, not just the 130 X.
It works good for what it is. You can turn it on or off by holding down the CLEAR button and you can set the stick position where it will start/stop the timer.
I also have a backlight kit that I like a lot. But I've had the radio for several years now. I wouldn't mind stepping up to something g newer now but it's got to have a backlight.
Oct 09, 2012, 08:41 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli
Yeah it is on purpose and it is one of my timers. One is set one time throttle out 5% and the other is set for anything above 25%. I have them both set to beep since currently on the dx18 what options you pick for the first timer fall upon the second timer as well.

The reason for that is I dont fly flipping like a dying fish every flight. I like to do some mellow flights with constant spot landings and such. So at that point the single timer doesn't give me an accurate time to stop but I can rely on my second timer for when I should land.
I see... I wish aircraft battery voltage telemetry were more accurate because, if it were, we wouldn't even need timers. But, there's too many variables, namely voltage sag from high transient load demantds.
Oct 09, 2012, 08:48 PM
34 years of flight.
You guys enjoy your 130s i shipped mine off today trading for a trex 450 with dfc head. I will fly my fathers 130 from time to time but no longer owning one.
Oct 09, 2012, 08:54 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Quote:
I see... I wish aircraft battery voltage telemetry were more accurate because, if it were, we wouldn't even need timers. But, there's too many variables, namely voltage sag from high transient load demantds.
Yeah telemetry voltage does fluctuate too much to be very useful for high stress applications. I really look forward to a gas tank such as a mAh counter down the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc
You guys enjoy your 130s i shipped mine off today trading for a trex 450 with dfc head. I will fly my fathers 130 from time to time but no longer owning one.
Should have let me know I would have sold you one for a good price
Oct 09, 2012, 09:10 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Yeah telemetry voltage does fluctuate too much to be very useful for high stress applications. I really look forward to a gas tank such as a mAh counter down the line
Andy made it sound pretty "undoable" for Spektrum over in the DX8/DX10 thread.
Oct 09, 2012, 09:48 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Quote:
Andy made it sound pretty "undoable" for Spektrum over in the DX8/DX10 thread.
I dont remember him saying anything like it isnt possible in any thread, anything is possible
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2994
Oct 09, 2012, 10:07 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
I dont remember him saying anything like it isnt possible in any thread, anything is possible
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2994
He gave "reasons", which sounded like "excuses", thereby making it seem like he thought it may be "too hard". Especially when faced with others pointing out that it's already being done by other manufacturers.

And, per that post, it appears they won't have a flight pack current sensor for some time, which is what I'm interested in... That's also not the thread I was reading. It was the DX8/DX10 thread.

Here's one from that thread:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ostcount=19557

That last line is pretty telling of "too hard at this time for Spektrum". In that case, how are the others doing it?
Last edited by crvnation; Oct 09, 2012 at 10:14 PM.
Oct 09, 2012, 10:28 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Quote:
He gave "reasons", which sounded like "excuses", thereby making it seem like he thought it may be "too hard". Especially when faced with others pointing out that it's already being done by other manufacturers.

And, per that post, it appears they won't have a flight pack current sensor for some time, which is what I'm interested in... That's also not the thread I was reading. It was the DX8/DX10 thread.
But per that post it points to that they will...
You should give Andy a break as he is limited on what he can say they are working on which is quite understandable. People tend to get their panties in a bunch if they hear something is coming and it is delayed, very far out or dropped.
Quote:
Here's one from that thread:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ostcount=19557

That last line is pretty telling of "too hard at this time for Spektrum". In that case, how are the others doing it?
The last line says nothing of the sort unless you just want to assume.

What you really seemed to miss is at the very beginning he started off with "one of the small issues" . Not once has he said they cant, wont or are not working on it.
Oct 09, 2012, 10:28 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
But per that post it points to that they will...
How so? Per that post, he explained some practical theory. He said nothing of the sort that "they will".

Quote:
Not once has he said they cant, wont or are not working on it.
We'll see...
Oct 10, 2012, 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji
I contacted the guys at Wowhobbies and they were nice enough to custom build a new motor for Manny and I to test fly. It is a 2S version of the 9g motor at 8000kv on the stock pinion. I had to make sure the heli would stand up to the test, so I installed MH metal main grips, swash plate, tail slider and tail box. It is still using the stock tail shaft and grips (which are more durable than any of the "upgrade" ones I have tested). I also epoxied the C and D gears to prevent any possible stripping of the gears in mid 3D flight. Flight pack was the Hyperion 500 mah and at the end of the flight there was still 7.6v left. Motor was cool and ESC was warm after the flight. Pretty efficient for all that power. Of course the entire heli is perfectly balanced and there is no tail vibration on spool up at any RPM.

The heli has only been in the air a total of 3 times. 1 hover in my hobby room, 1 test flight at 85% throttle to dial in the Tx settings and this flight at 100% throttle all out. I am just glad the heli stood up to the test. LOL.

Sorry about the quality of the vid. All we had was my Iphone since we were not sure how this was going to go. I am sure Manny and his brother will be making a better one soon enough when this motor becomes available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iZmFVj-OLo

Man that thing has some major power.
Sweet flying by Manny as always.

Any idea when it will be available?
Oct 10, 2012, 11:58 AM
2 seconds from crashing
Quote:
How so? Per that post, he explained some practical theory. He said nothing of the sort that "they will".

I was refering to the link i posted, not the one you that you assumed that Andy said it was too hard for spektrum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony
Man that thing has some major power.
Sweet flying by Manny as always.

Any idea when it will be available?
Darryl said about a month or more out on that motor
Oct 10, 2012, 12:10 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
I was refering to the link i posted, not the one you that you assumed that Andy said it was too hard for spektrum.
In your post, as well, he never said anything definitive about "working on it", either, regarding a flight pack capacity sensor.
Oct 10, 2012, 12:20 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Quote:
In your post, as well, he never said anything definitive about "working on it", either, regarding a flight pack capacity sensor.
Nope he sure didn’t and only that they have already announced one for the rx pack and haven’t announced one for the flight pack. In the post you linked he referred to all issues for a flight capacity sensor as "small issues". I said previously and as I am sure you know as well, Andy will never say what they are working on due to people getting upset if it is delayed or doesn’t end up happening.

anyhow back to the 130x...

Quick Reply