Jul 16, 2012, 12:51 PM
Trader Rating: 27
most exalted one
I wouldn't want that. OK to give some grace.
1st payer means the aggressive sharks come out!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2012, 11:30 PM
Trader Rating: 186
Yes, I'm willing to allow time as long as the buyer honors the commitment, or provides good communications why he cannot. It's the people that vaporize without another word that are irritating.

Tom
Jul 17, 2012, 05:44 AM
Trader Rating: 276
If I'm going to be away from the puter for a while....I try most of the time to let the Seller know if I've posted "I'll take it"...and an approximate time I'll be back....sometimes late at night I don't do it...but in the daytime I do.....Billy
Jul 17, 2012, 06:23 AM
Trader Rating: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpresley
What if the person responded to your add and then went off to work for 8 or 12 hours?? Not everyone can get on a computer at work. You need to give them a day at least, to allow for work or gone for the day. Its only fair. Think about it.

Vince
If you know you're not going to be around for 8-12 hours, then put in a little effort to let the seller know you'll complete the transaction when you're available later.

If you only take the time to post "i'll take it." and nothing else, then don't expect the seller to take the time to wait all day for you to go to work and come back.
Just saying.

The 3 second response of "i'll take it" does not constitute anywhere near 5 hours of hold time with no other information from the possible buyer, I'm sorry.
Jul 17, 2012, 08:18 AM
Trader Rating: 112
eternal noob
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ww2collector
Good point Vince. I guess people that work for a living and can't sit on the computer all day aren't good clientele!

When you got the time to post in the add saying "I will take it, send me your info" and you immediately get a response 30 seconds later with that info, does that constitute "sitting at the computer all day" I think not. I work for a living also, just like most. When I message or post about being interested in a item, I make it a point to check periodically till I get the info needed to complete the transaction. I also mention when I PM someone about buying their Item that I work third shift, so if you don't hear back from me after getting the details that is why, but I will check back in the A.M..

All is good, users who were truly interested in the item/items paid right away and will be getting their items by tomorrow for I ship the very next day (weekends are the exception), which brings me to another rant! People who wait for paypal transfers to their bank to clear before shipping! oh wait.. never mind I wont start anymore trouble .
Last edited by Caphead; Jul 17, 2012 at 08:30 AM.
Jul 17, 2012, 08:23 AM
Trader Rating: 112
eternal noob
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightsabotage
If you know you're not going to be around for 8-12 hours, then put in a little effort to let the seller know you'll complete the transaction when you're available later.

If you only take the time to post "i'll take it." and nothing else, then don't expect the seller to take the time to wait all day for you to go to work and come back.
Just saying.

The 3 second response of "i'll take it" does not constitute anywhere near 5 hours of hold time with no other information from the possible buyer, I'm sorry.
Yay!.. Someone understands my frustration!
Jul 17, 2012, 09:01 AM
Trader Rating: 30
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewatson
To me, "I'll take it" constitutes commitment to make the deal. I'll give someone a day or so to follow up, but anyone that disappears without further communication gets permanent membership on the ignore list.

Tom
You'd be surprised at how many people post "I'll take it!" for no other reason than to hold their "spot" as first in line while they try to haggle the seller down in price. That is the reason why many people, including myself, say to PM if interested. That way there is no visible "line" for people to cry about when they feel they were looked over.
Jul 17, 2012, 03:49 PM
Trader Rating: 223
Go Cocks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caphead
What do some people think?
If things like that are going to annoy you (and it annoys me too) then you have to put something in your ad like "I expect prompt paypal payment". "If you can't make that happen, then let me know".

Most of the time for me, I sell multiple items on multiple forums at one time. When I do that, I stay fairly connected to respond to questions, take payment, etc etc. I would rather not make 5 trips to the PO because I had to wait days for a payment. If a buyer makes me wait, then it hoses me up. 5 hours is no big deal. Days waiting would be a problem.

The other thing that is a pain in the ass (and is worth mentioning here) is the opposite scenario you described...meaning the seller posts something for sale, you respond "I will take it, Send me your PP". Then you send a PM with same info, and the seller doesn't respond for a few days! WTH is that! LOL!
Jul 17, 2012, 04:29 PM
Trader Rating: 120
If someone is slow playing you...why not cancel the deal with them and state the item is still available? I see numerous ads with "second in line" and "I'll take it if xxxx backs out". I agree with you on the definition of "I'll take it" but some folks subscribe to a different version akin to Slick Willy's definition of what "it" is. So, just state "it" in your response as "still available". Good luck.
Jul 17, 2012, 04:41 PM
Trader Rating: 55
RCRoger2001

Hello from a Buyer

Read your Frustrations and I Feel for you.

I am mostly a Buyer even though I've Sold a few items.

When I commit to an Ad, I send a PM to the Seller and tell him I Pay with a U.S.P.O. Money Order

Why?? Simple, I had to BUY the M.O.!!! No Hassle!! Just cash it at your Bank etc. (Keeps the Wife out of the picture etc)

Also, I have nixed on Ads from Canada or Out of the US.

The Problem I and others seem to be running into lately is; Pay Pal Only!!!

I'm Not part of PayPal. In order for me to pay thru them I have to give up all my Credit Card Info etc.

Not willing to do that for small Nickel and Dime Items. So, they have eliminated me as a Buyer!!

Back in 2000 or so, I was with PayPal for a while and waited a Long time to close my Acct out and get my Money.

I wish you Luck and No Problems with your Sales

rcroger2001

Quote:
soooooo annoying. You place a ad , someone either says "I will take it, send me your info" or they pm you asking "will you take $xx.xx for your item" then you respond , saying you will accept the deal, then that person doesn't contact you any more or fails to pay for the item after saying "I will take it..." (and they were still online logged in for almost 2 hours after the inquiry, and after saying they will take it)

I had this happen twice to me today, what is annoying is when they say directly on the ad thread "I will take it" then the next person looks at the ad and figures its sold. Screw it ,after like 5 hours went by with no payment or no more contact, I deleted that response to ad and ended up selling to a person who instantly transferred funds .

When I say I will take something, I immediately pay for that item once I get the persons info.

What do some people think.? Are they "just checking" to see if you will accept a certain amount? or do they think that just because they will say "I will take it" that they dont have to pay you till they are good and ready, and you will save it for them? *SMH*

ok rant done..
Jul 17, 2012, 05:14 PM
Trader Rating: 30
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCRoger2001
The Problem I and others seem to be running into lately is; Pay Pal Only!!!

I'm Not part of PayPal. In order for me to pay thru them I have to give up all my Credit Card Info etc.

Not willing to do that for small Nickel and Dime Items. So, they have eliminated me as a Buyer!!
You can pay someone through PayPal with no account by using a credit card. When I sell, it's PayPal only because I don't want to wait for a money order to come in the mail before shipping the item. Going to the bank to cash a money order is out of my way, too, since I do all my banking online...I can't remember the last time I actually stepped inside a bank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCRoger2001
Back in 2000 or so, I was with PayPal for a while and waited a Long time to close my Acct out and get my Money.
PayPal was in its infancy back then (they were officially Paypal in 2000 after the merger of two companies). I've been with them since then and haven't had any issues.
Jul 17, 2012, 05:21 PM
Trader Rating: 398
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
"People who wait for paypal transfers to their bank to clear before shipping! oh wait.. never mind I wont start anymore trouble "

Well, no trouble and don't see why.
I have not ran across that one yet. If it happended to me, it would send up a big yellow flag of caution as the buyer. Like what does waiting have to do with the price of tea in China?

I never ship until funds have fully cleared, like an E-Check transfer.

Oh, USPS MO's are fine. I never deposit them in my Bank. I always take them to the USPS Post Office and surrender for cash as US currency. Then I ship. Period
Last edited by jcstalls; Jul 17, 2012 at 05:28 PM.
Jul 17, 2012, 10:10 PM
Trader Rating: 45
I'm a Registered User
How is is that we've become so accustomed to instant gratification that we won't even wait 24 hours, ONE DAY, for our money. Has anyone here ever sold something because they absolutely needed the money right now? If a guy's at your door with a bat asking why you haven't paid that loan back yet, yeah, you need the money NOW. But for the casual seller, what's the big deal? Why do you NEED to be paid right this instant? It wasn't that long ago when you had to wait a few days minimum to get your money order in the mail. If you got a check, it could take a few weeks for it to clear. What disaster will occur if I can't pay you until I get home from work? When I sell, I consider it a courtesy to my buyers that I don't demand instant payment. A week? To long. Even a few days is to long to wait for payment without explanation. But even without contact from a buyer, it's just courtesy to give them at least a day to pay.
Jul 17, 2012, 10:28 PM
Trader Rating: 204
AMA 72859
I might post the question to a seller and then go back to work. I think what you really are complaining about is reasonable followup time. Just because someone posts a reply you cant assume they are going to sit there and continue to wait for your reply...they log off and go back to work, or go back to doing whatever...because maybe they assume that you are going to be reasonable...so what is a reasonable amount of time for that person to log back on and reply....8-10 hours? 24 hours? I guess that is up to you, since you are the seller! I think same day is reasonable. If you are that desperate to sell something and can't wait, then no loss to me....my money is good wherever I decide to spend it!

Quote:
When you got the time to post in the add saying "I will take it, send me your info" and you immediately get a response 30 seconds later with that info, does that constitute "sitting at the computer all day" I think not. I work for a living also, just like most. When I message or post about being interested in a item, I make it a point to check periodically till I get the info needed to complete the transaction. I also mention when I PM someone about buying their Item that I work third shift, so if you don't hear back from me after getting the details that is why, but I will check back in the A.M..

All is good, users who were truly interested in the item/items paid right away and will be getting their items by tomorrow for I ship the very next day (weekends are the exception), which brings me to another rant! People who wait for paypal transfers to their bank to clear before shipping! oh wait.. never mind I wont start anymore trouble .
Jul 17, 2012, 11:35 PM
Trader Rating: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman Jeff
How is is that we've become so accustomed to instant gratification that we won't even wait 24 hours, ONE DAY, for our money. Has anyone here ever sold something because they absolutely needed the money right now? If a guy's at your door with a bat asking why you haven't paid that loan back yet, yeah, you need the money NOW. But for the casual seller, what's the big deal? Why do you NEED to be paid right this instant? It wasn't that long ago when you had to wait a few days minimum to get your money order in the mail. If you got a check, it could take a few weeks for it to clear. What disaster will occur if I can't pay you until I get home from work? When I sell, I consider it a courtesy to my buyers that I don't demand instant payment. A week? To long. Even a few days is to long to wait for payment without explanation. But even without contact from a buyer, it's just courtesy to give them at least a day to pay.
That's not what the OP is about, I don't think. I think he has the mindset that I have where waiting is fine, IF you tell the seller a little more than "I'll take it" and then don't respond again until many hours have passed. If you're serious about wanting an item, put forth the effort to type "I'm interested & want to buy. Send me your paypal info and I'll send payment to you after work this evening" or "I'll take it! I can send payment tomorrow morning, if that's cool?"

A seller shouldn't be strung along by lack of communication and expected to wait without explanation by a buyer. If the buyer wants an item badly enough to mark his place in line, then he should be courteous enough to give the seller some clarity on his intent to buy.

I'd be fine waiting a day or 2, IF the buyer lets me know that's when he's able to pay.
That's really all there is to it...

Quick Reply