Dec 07, 2009, 11:36 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Left (or right) lane ends - what do you do?

This is one thing that has always annoyed me. Huge signs for miles - L or R lane ends. Do you continue till the last minute in the ending lane or do you get over early?

I cannot stand when people go speeding up trying to get ahead of as many cars as possible and then cause delays as they try to get over. I refuse to let any in when I get up to the lane shift. I have actually had people loose it and run into cones when I won't let them in because they think I have to let them in after they had miles worth of open road to do so. I have seen truckers block the lane that is ending to prevent this and traffic always moves much faster in this case.
Dec 07, 2009, 11:43 AM
Trons and Fumes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock
This is one thing that has always annoyed me. Huge signs for miles - L or R lane ends. Do you continue till the last minute in the ending lane or do you get over early?

I cannot stand when people go speeding up trying to get ahead of as many cars as possible and then cause delays as they try to get over. I refuse to let any in when I get up to the lane shift. I have actually had people loose it and run into cones when I won't let them in because they think I have to let them in after they had miles worth of open road to do so. I have seen truckers block the lane that is ending to prevent this and traffic always moves much faster in this case.
Then simply do as the truckers do......
Problem solved....
Dec 07, 2009, 11:50 AM
Out of Time
Of all the annoyances in life, I don't put a lane ending very high on the list.

So oh, I don't know, maybe just blend in and don't worry about someone else getting ahead of you in traffic?

That's kind of the same thing where some people get angry because someone else makes a dollar more than themselves.

Just let it go, man. Let it go. Life's too short.
Dec 07, 2009, 11:53 AM
I smell lithium now
If you don't want to be delayed, the thing to do is get in the lane that's ending. The reason the (correct) lane is sitting there stopped is because the drivers in that lane are all letting others cut in even though they do not have the right of way. So when in Rome...

But yes I agree, it is frustrating. If you don't want to 'cheat' in the wrong lane, you'll sit there while numerous cars go by who are 'cheating'; and when you finally get to the point where traffic is merging and you don't let the cheaters in ahead of you, they look at you like you're the hole.

This is an everyday thing. What it comes down to is you either let it get under your skin or you don't.
Dec 07, 2009, 11:54 AM
Suspended Account
Good God , be lucky you dont drive in Boston ! what you describe is an offence punishable by death around here ! In all seriousness , The signs usually state which lane ends , but rude people dont read signs , their mission is to get ahead of everybody ! By any possible means ! Long ago I decided such rudeness is no reason for me to get my blood pressure up and I refuse to let rude drivers ruin my day
Dec 07, 2009, 12:00 PM
Not THAT Ira
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight

So oh, I don't know, maybe just blend in and don't worry about someone else getting ahead of you in traffic?

That's kind of the same thing where some people get angry because someone else makes a dollar more than themselves.

Dec 07, 2009, 12:01 PM
Equinsu Ocha
Traffic moves best when drivers from both lanes plan ahead and follow an alternating pattern. Yeah some people cheat but so what, it is about getting where you are going safely not teaching other drivers a lesson. That is what we have police for. I've been dealing with this for months as I face construction both ways. There were a lot of disagreements at the merge for a long time but now everyone is in a pattern one side and then the other goes. Traffic moves faster now.
Dec 07, 2009, 12:01 PM
Trons and Fumes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight

Yep. The OP sounds like road rage looking for an outlet to happen.......

I suggest putting on a classical station or CD.
Dec 07, 2009, 12:04 PM
I smell lithium now
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightme
Yep. The OP sounds like road rage looking for an outlet to happen.......

I suggest putting on a classical station or CD.
...or something relaxing like some Rob Zombie !!
Dec 07, 2009, 12:08 PM
Not THAT Ira
There will always be jerks and idiots out on the road. They are very unlikely to suddenly come to Jesus because you won't let them merge back into your lane.

This in effect drags you down to their status and generates an additional hazard as they become more frantic to change lanes.

Smile, gesture for them to merge in front of you (using all of your fingers of course ) relax and find some nice mellow tunes on the radio and have a nice day.
Dec 07, 2009, 12:10 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:

Please stay out of real race cars--please.
Dec 07, 2009, 12:13 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Too simple rules I use for the psycology of driving.
"Don't get mad"
"Don't get anyone else mad"

I'm with HF - just not an issue that's high on my list.
Dec 07, 2009, 12:33 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:

You'd make a great Democrat..... Let me know how it ends up with you trying to control what others do.
Dec 07, 2009, 12:37 PM
Out of Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by D B Cooper
...or something relaxing like some Rob Zombie !!
Oh Crap! We couldn't get 9 posts into the thread before it was hijacked into a Zombie thread.

Now I'm REALLY, REALLY, !

Dec 07, 2009, 12:40 PM
AustinTatious
Well I am one of the guys you don't like, but hear me out....

I will go past all the cars driving in the lane next to the one which is ending and then cut in.... I do this due to an annoying habit that other drivers have. This being that people only seem to watch the car directly in front of them. It's most bothersome when sitting at a light and it turns green and only 1/3rd the cars get through because everyone waits till the car in front of them is 50 feet away until they start moving. This habbit is also the cause of "accordion effect" where people speed up toi the back of the car in front of them, then come to a stop and rinse repeat.

IN the case of an ending lane I use this to my advantage... I Look way up ahead at the stop and go traffic and anticipate the accordion opening up.... The BEST case scenario is that a semi truck or SUV driven by a middle aged mother on a cell phone will be on her brakes as the car in front of her pulls away 100 feet and I can slide right in. This means that by the time that moron gets to my bumper and slams her brakes that I only cost the people behind me 1 or 2 car lengths, yet I saved myself possibly miles.

Selfish ? maybe..... But until the rest of the road can learn to stay off the phone, look ahead and be respectful that other peopel may not be out for a Sunday drive then I will continue to do so.

PS: I have never been flipped off or had anyone apparently mad at me for doing this... I am careful to make sure I do not cause anyone any distress when I make the manuver.

Quick Reply