Jun 16, 2010, 02:52 AM
I love FPV!
Nice Kev. I've gone and ordered the damn strips. I have 4 x 350mm rides like that in a box. Damn.

Have you flown yet? Haven't seen much detail on your build. She looks to fly pretty fast! And.. is it me, or does it seem to fly with a bit of a nose-up attitude when flying level flight?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 16, 2010, 02:59 AM
Balsa addict
Yea, i thought the same, looks like the tail bogs down a bit in level flight. Don't worry, cf strips should be just as strong.

No, haven't finished her yet, plus i don't have a LRS yet , EzUHF are on backorder, maybe by the start of July i should have it.

Got the camera position worked out.
Jun 16, 2010, 03:01 AM
I love FPV!
That looks NICE! Man, you're gonna have some nice footage...
And you're already onto the stickers?! Excellent...
Jun 16, 2010, 03:05 AM
Balsa addict
Yea, HobbyKing chucked them in with my order lol.

If i had the cash, i would put a Gopro on too .

Cheers, kev.
Jun 16, 2010, 05:33 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
SPL nice to see a successful outcome ! this plane really looks stable. Hopefully I will do my first FPV flight this weekend with it.

Rough landing though ... on the tarmac... ouch did you leave some foam behind ?
Jun 16, 2010, 05:50 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis
Thanks ashdec87.
I like the sound of the strips, but ... 0.5mm is VERY thin. Would it be strong enough?
Easily strong enough.

0.5mm might seem thin... but once glued into a slit cut in the foam you will be surprised at how stiff it will make the wing.
I used a strip along the wing on my first model. It snapped when the wing let go in flight. I think tube would be a better option.
Jun 16, 2010, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis
I had my GPS inside the 'ESC' area... the area under the wing joins... and took ages to get a lock... I'm suprised.
Probably because of the carbon fiber tubes.
Jun 16, 2010, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergus
I used a strip along the wing on my first model. It snapped when the wing let go in flight. I think tube would be a better option.
dont wanna turn this into a CF tube vs strip discussion, but did you have the strip glued vertically in the wing or laid flat on the bottom of it?
Jun 16, 2010, 08:50 AM
Oh I have a motor question.

I've got a park 480-890, an axi 2814-12 and a park 400-920.

I ran the first two through motor calc. I would like to use a 4S pack to keep the amps down. So the park 480 draw about 18 amps with a 9x6 or 10x5 with roughly 45 oz of thrust. The axi draws about twice that (38amps) while making 70 oz. Obviously the axi will lift a brick, but does this plane need that kind of power??
Jun 16, 2010, 08:54 AM
On a holiday?
I think Sander did a good job when he embedded the cf-strip pretty close to the original wing spar. The cf-strip is good at handling bending forces in one axis. It doesn't handle twisting well so it should be placed as close to the main spar as possible. As far as I can see Fergus placed the strip close to the leading edge which is further from the main spar and does make wing twisting possible which the strip obviously doesn't handle very well. Because of this the strip also needs to be placed where it's supported from all other directions. When it's placed in the middle of the wing it has better structural support then when placed close to the LE.
Jun 16, 2010, 11:06 AM
Just want to fly...

New SkyWalker Build

Hi folks,

Here is my wip skywalker build. Not yet complete, as I am still waiting for my P&T rig and have not yet painted it, but some ideas I would like to share in advance. The key differences from the great ideas I already saw posted here are:

- Screws holding the wings instead of rubber bands;
- Air in-take for the ESC compartment (also enlarged air out-take)
- Side door beveled and with hinges, magnets and puller. (not so new)
- Just Fiber tape instead of carbon re-enforcements on the wings (letīs wait and see)opcorn
- Small motor: just a KDA 20-20L. Cruises at 6A and climbs at 14A (on 3S)
- Dual battery connectors;
- Magnets on canopy (not new either)
- Extended tx antenna (to clear the plane/gear)
- I am still going to add 90 degrees flaps for hand catch.

I flew a few packs with it just to trim, calibrate the co-pilot and Eagle Tree RTH and it is great. Very stable, docile and RTH worked perfectly on default settings. Nothing worth recording, but I am very anxious to put my hi-def rig on it and do some nice footage.

Let me know what you think.
Cheers,
Luiz
Last edited by LFLoTiTo; Jun 16, 2010 at 12:18 PM.
Jun 16, 2010, 11:41 AM
Nice LFLoTiTo. Can you share your ET RTH settings? I have mine installed and had a great maiden and first day flights but haven't configured the RTH yet. Was there anything that was changed from default? What speed did you set for your cruising speed? Did you find that it looses more altitude than it should when turning with the rudder? I am thinking that I will give a descent amount of up elevator when programming the turn parameters.

Thanks
Jun 16, 2010, 11:49 AM
Multicopter/FPV/UAV/HAM
LFLoTiTo,

very nice build and some great ideas.

Erwin
Jun 16, 2010, 11:53 AM
Just want to fly...
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy
Nice LFLoTiTo. Can you share your ET RTH settings? I have mine installed and had a great maiden and first day flights but haven't configured the RTH yet. Was there anything that was changed from default? What speed did you set for your cruising speed? Did you find that it looses more altitude than it should when turning with the rudder? I am thinking that I will give a descent amount of up elevator when programming the turn parameters.

Thanks
Techspy,

I left all the gains/limits on default values.
I disabled the cruise speed feature (as it should be by default if you donīt use a pitot tube) by inputing a high number (i.e.:150 kmh);
I connected my rudder on the OSDPro instead of ailerons (as it is now recommended);
During the RTH wizzard: (1)I gave full rudder left and about 10% elevator up when it asked to set the sticks to turn left. (2) I gave full elevator up when it asked to set the sticks to climb; (3) I set the throttle stick to the equivalent of 7A to cruise and 14A to climb; I think thats all.

I did not notice any loss of altitude when turning with rudder on default settings. But when I tried to increase the turn gain it banked too much and started to dive, so I went back to default.

Cheers,
Last edited by LFLoTiTo; Jun 16, 2010 at 12:28 PM.
Jun 16, 2010, 11:53 AM
yes nice build LFLoTiTo,soon the video

I am finally deciding to buy this plane in next order at bevrc

Quick Reply