Jul 16, 2010, 10:48 PM
Thread OP
iskoos, sorry for delay. It's been a busy week here. Can you post a photo of the LCD display showing the poor image? FWIW, we have a small LCD display here and it looks fine, which suggests that it may be device dependent.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 19, 2010, 12:10 AM
Thank you Bill. I will post some pictures soon... May I ask this meanwhile:

Does the quality of the on-screen-text depend more on the Camera or on the LCD monitor that is being used? I couldn't come up with the answer...
Jul 22, 2010, 10:45 PM
Thread OP
iskoos, since the OSD is adding video information "on top of" the information supplied by the camera, typically text quality issues would be related to the transmitter, receiver, or display. When you get a chance, pls post a photo, as that will help a lot.
Jul 23, 2010, 02:01 PM

Finally some pictures...

Okay Bill, here is a few pictures. It wasn't easy to capture these screen shots. I had to set up the camera on a tripod since I couldn't use flash.
I tried a few different backgrounds. The LCD monitor I use is 7" TFT color LCD by GoTech. And I am using my digital p&s camera's (Canon A640) live video link(so no separate CCD camera). Digital camera's on-screen-text is very large comparing to Eagle Tree's OSD pro; that's why no problem reading them. OSD pro's txt much smaller as you can see. This makes it hard for me to read. But this is not the main reason. Take a look at the second image for example. If you look at the pack voltage on the upper right, you can see it says 38.00 volts. But the bottom of 38 is very hard to read. Same as where it says "Amp" (on the lower left). Letters are not clearly separated from each other. As if they are touching each other. The 3rd image is pretty much same. On the 4th image, I used a black background but this is never the case as you know. When the background is black, texts read much better of course but I will never have black background (unless I fly in the night sky)) So but again even on the black background, the pack voltage 37.98 volt is not very clear. Especially the second part of the text .98 is barely readable. I checked the LCD screen's menu to make sure I centered the video horizontally and vertically. I tried different white and black values on OSD pro's menu and found out that the default ones (white 7, black 4) is the best. My camera Canon A640 can do both Pal and NTSC video out. I tried both of them and nothing changed. I pretty much did mess with all the adjustments I could possibly change but couldn't get a clear on-screen-text. I really don't want to be a pain. The only reason I am bringing this up is because I have seen much better screen shots when I watched other videos posted on either your site or on youtube, text looks much much better than mine.
I am using 500mw 900mhz transmitter (powered by 3s lipo) for video downlink.
So I pretty much summed it up. What could be done to improve the text quality?

Thanks
Jul 25, 2010, 07:17 AM
Oleg
iskoos
I can`t hold myself from interfere. Bill cannot enlarge your monitor`s physical pixel count man!
Look at the 2nd picture, lower left corner, Amp readings. There are 0.0 value, but upper 2 pixels of '0' are not displayed.
Ohh.. can`t explain it clearly in english.. Your display`s informational capacity is lower than the signal displayed. For example, if you need to display one line of 540 color dots on the display with 320 pixels horisontal resolution, you either see some dots mixed together, or just didn`t see some dots.

Resume: trash your TFT and use another with 640x480 resolution. Yours have 320x240.
Jul 26, 2010, 04:22 PM
Thread OP
iskoos, I do think it's primarily an issue with the performance of the 7" monitor. I doubt if there's much we can do to improve the situation . I hope we are able to provide settable font size in future. We actually get more requests for a smaller font than a larger one.
Jul 26, 2010, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa
iskoos, I do think it's primarily an issue with the performance of the 7" monitor. I doubt if there's much we can do to improve the situation . I hope we are able to provide settable font size in future. We actually get more requests for a smaller font than a larger one.
Bill, I wasn't expecting a miracle but yoursanswer confused me a bit. If it is not primarily the performance of the 7" monitor, then what is it?
Obviously there is got to be a reson why I cannot have a clear text on my system while other don't have this issue.
I do not blame ET's product. I have seen great results on internet. I know this system is capable of producing much better results. I am after the reason why I can't have the same result.
I take your comment "I doubt if there's much we can do to improve the situation." as "We can't do much to improve with your current set up" There is always a way to improve things. You said you don't think this is the monitor issue (unlike what syberian suggest). I am now puzzled thinking what to blame

Syberian, thanks for your help. I do want to believe you. As a matter of fact, I was about to say "Okay it is the monitor then" if Bill somehow agreed on it. But he clearly thinks it is not the monitor issue.
How did you know my monitor is 320x240?
Jul 26, 2010, 05:25 PM
Thread OP
Hi iskoos, sorry for the confusion - I think you may have misread my post? I DO think it's an issue with the monitor. By "the situation" I meant the issue with the display on the 7" monitor.
Jul 26, 2010, 08:46 PM
Oleg
Quote:
How did you know my monitor is 320x240?
I have a well-trained sight
Thats why one dont recommend using the 320x240 goggles (230 series). You`ll dont see a sht while FPVing.

P.S.
Bill
I love your products!
I`d haven`t enough balls to get so high without a proper navigation:
Last edited by Syberian; Mar 03, 2013 at 01:56 AM.
Jul 27, 2010, 10:37 AM
He he... Everybody loves ET's products. They are top quality and very affordable...
I checked the picture you posted syberian. I see a little tiny dot somewhere in the blue sky. It is barely visible. Is that your airplane?

I will see if I can find another monitor (hopefully 640x480) to compare. I started to believe that this will come down to my monitor resolution as you point out...
Jul 27, 2010, 12:41 PM
Oleg
iskoos
No, that was a distant bird. My antenna tracker was armed but the plane was on the ground within no-tracking range. And I had no goggles weared.
This photo was taken by my 3-yr son sneaked behind. He loves to spot my RC planes flying and to photograph everything that moves
Last edited by Syberian; Jul 27, 2010 at 12:47 PM.
Jul 29, 2010, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa
Hi iskoos, sorry for the confusion - I think you may have misread my post? I DO think it's an issue with the monitor. By "the situation" I meant the issue with the display on the 7" monitor.

Bill, Thanks for clearing that up, OR helping me learn how to read in other words))
If you hadn't brought that, there was no way I would see that "DO" even if I had read it 100 times...

So I now feel more confident that it is the monitor issue.
I have looked at the original box to see if it is talking about the resolution. I couldn't find anything. All it says on the box is that "High resolution TFT Color LCD" Yeah "High Resolution" I wonder how high the resolution is.
So I looked at the manual and on the specs sheet, it says 1440 x 234.
I didn't understand what this means. Is this the pixel resolution it is talking about???? Very odd ratio...
Jul 29, 2010, 10:12 PM
Oleg
iskoos
I know what actually is that strange '1440x240'
That was a clear marketing trick. They count the color dots, not pixels actually. Each pixel in the TFT matrix consists of 3 separate dots (red-green-blue). Since they are aligned horizontally, there are too much of them in line
So, let`s divide 1440 per 3. Here we go, a true rubbish 480x240 (ie usual wide 16:9 screen).
There are already 2 people convincing you to trash your TFT lol Why are you so rigid? Smash it with a hammer and post the vid here!
Jul 30, 2010, 12:33 AM
Thanks man. I am conviced 100%) No doubt...
I was just wondering where that 1440 came from and your explanation makes total sense...
I have a 480x240 crap in my hands. I guess I only paid $70 for it on ebay. So I cannot complain much. I got what I paid for...
I will definitely shop for a better monitor when I get a chance...

Meanwhile I have another question about my OSD pro. I am hoping either you or Bill will see and answer this for me
I bought and installed a temperature sensor (loop style). I plugged it to temp B on elogger. I tested it and it is working great. It is very accurate. Much much better than I thought it would be. (Great job Eagletree...) Anyways, I then configured the OSD pro parameters to show this temp reading. LCD was showing the temp reading same as the software does on the computer screen but there was an exclamation mark "!" in front of it (on LCD screen) and the on-screen-text was hallow (just the edge of the text was outlined white). When I touched the sensor, the reading started going up both on the LCD and on the computer screen but I couldn't get rid of the hallow text and annoying "!".
As you guys know it is already difficult to read the text on my el cheapo LCD; and this makes it almost impossible to read. I cycled the ET system a few times hoping that I would get rid of it but I couldn't. Then I moved the same temp sensor to temp C and changed the elogger parameter and then changed the OSD accordingly.
I was able to get rid of the annoying "!". I now have a solid white text that shows very accurate temp reading. But then I realized I have the same "!" in front of the main flight pack voltage. I said "This is normal because main packs are not connected" It was doing it before when I unplugged the main packs but it would go back to normal as soon as I plug the main packs back in. But tonight I tried a few times but I couldn't get rid of the "!" and the text is hallow as well making it very difficult to read.
What might be causing this on the LCD screen????
I don't have this issue on computer software when I view the data in "live view" mode...

I would apprecite any help on this...
Jul 30, 2010, 07:28 AM
Oleg
iskoos
Please bother youself to read the OSD Pro manual
Then connect the EL+OSD to your PC and run the program. In the "configure OSD PRO" window highlight the "tempB" on the green field and then uncheck the boxes "hi alarm enabled" and "low alarm enabled". Click OK and enjoy
If you are facing another unwanted "!" and hollow parameter - just follow the instruction above: highlight and uncheck. These are the alarms which can be switched off easily.

Quick Reply