Oct 03, 2012, 12:31 AM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock
So what you're saying here Don is that Rays kits are great, while your flying abilities may not always be up to the level of Rays kits? Sorry but ya left yourself wide open for that one bud!

Just a quick note here.. It may not be Don's flying abilities that caused the demise of his Oly III, but his eye sight. Happened to me. I don't consider myself a competitive pilot any more but during the height of my contest flying I lost sight of my glider. It was found a month later in a heap.

Just saying....
Kurt

As for Ray's kits, I have never heard of anyone have a bad comment on kit quality nor bad flying characteristics. Bottom line is you invest in one of Ray's kits you are in for a winner.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 03, 2012, 11:15 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock
So what you're saying here Don is that Rays kits are great, while your flying abilities may not always be up to the level of Rays kits? Sorry but ya left yourself wide open for that one bud!
Thanks, Kurt for taking up for me .

That really hurts, Jeff,.....sniff.....I thought you were my....sniff.....friend....sniff . True dat though, brotha, my flying/distance judging abilities aren't what they should be. That big ole Oly was on a perfect base to final though and would have been a scale approach with enough energy to put it at my feet. Too bad I was behind an object instead of in front .

Me Oly will once again streak the blue but not over that field. I have eyed some properties a fair ways outside the metroplex that have nothing for me to collide with. When me Oly is back, I'll approach these owners, by myself, and see what I can arrange. I'm kind of a lone wolf anyhow .
Oct 05, 2012, 11:10 AM
I've done that myself. I hear a lot of older guys complain about declining vision, and I know my eyes are not what they were, though still pretty good for now. My left eye is in fact down to 20/25 or something most of the time. If my right eye goes that way...

Wondering why no one seems to be making large, really low aspect ratio gliders for that part of the market? I'll bet a 3 or 4 meter straight blowup of something like the Chrysalis, except maybe with an even faster airfoil, might let a lot of guys keep flying longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzimmerm
Just a quick note here.. It may not be Don's flying abilities that caused the demise of his Oly III, but his eye sight. Happened to me. I don't consider myself a competitive pilot any more but during the height of my contest flying I lost sight of my glider. It was found a month later in a heap.

Just saying....
Kurt

As for Ray's kits, I have never heard of anyone have a bad comment on kit quality nor bad flying characteristics. Bottom line is you invest in one of Ray's kits you are in for a winner.
Oct 05, 2012, 03:31 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln
I've done that myself. I hear a lot of older guys complain about declining vision, and I know my eyes are not what they were, though still pretty good for now. My left eye is in fact down to 20/25 or something most of the time. If my right eye goes that way...

Wondering why no one seems to be making large, really low aspect ratio gliders for that part of the market? I'll bet a 3 or 4 meter straight blowup of something like the Chrysalis, except maybe with an even faster airfoil, might let a lot of guys keep flying longer.
For you vision limited people that can't see your planes (me!), consider using the coverite transparent florescent - it is quite heavy compared to regular transparent but they do provide an improvement on sunny days if your plane has little sheeting (very open structure). I changed my avatar to the Sagitta 900 that was not flyable for me until i changed to the covering i mentioned.
Last edited by ScottSails; Oct 05, 2012 at 03:41 PM.
Oct 05, 2012, 04:37 PM
Wondering why no one seems to be making large, really low aspect ratio gliders for that part of the market?

It is called a Merlyn, available from Sky Bench

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
WWW.Skybench.com
Oct 05, 2012, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSails
For you vision limited people that can't see your planes (me!), consider using the coverite transparent florescent - it is quite heavy compared to regular transparent but they do provide an improvement on sunny days if your plane has little sheeting (very open structure). I changed my avatar to the Sagitta 900 that was not flyable for me until i changed to the covering i mentioned.
This is what I just did with a vintage Viking MK I

Kurt
Oct 05, 2012, 11:11 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzimmerm
This is what I just did with a vintage Viking MK I

Kurt
Awesome! I went one step further and went hybrid (Winch in nose)

Just curious - I have never flown the Mk1 only the Mk2 with "high speed" semi symmetrical (12%!!!!! thick) wing - is the Mk1 close to Olympic 2 in handling? My Mk2 too went to over 900 feet today from a 600 foot launch without even turning (just aimed at the sun and stalled it) in about 3 minutes! What a boomer!

Scott
Oct 06, 2012, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSails
Awesome! I went one step further and went hybrid (Winch in nose)

Just curious - I have never flown the Mk1 only the Mk2 with "high speed" semi symmetrical (12%!!!!! thick) wing - is the Mk1 close to Olympic 2 in handling? My Mk2 too went to over 900 feet today from a 600 foot launch without even turning (just aimed at the sun and stalled it) in about 3 minutes! What a boomer!

Scott
I would say the MK I flies much like the Oly II. The flat bottom airfoil is not the best performer when the wind kicks up, much like the Oly. It will perform best with light winds during a hot lazy summer afternoon.
Oct 14, 2012, 10:49 PM

Oly II Re-Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Hayes
Please read the Beginners page on my web ... My recommendation still stands ...

First Time builders should start with the OLY ll.

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
WWW.Skybench.com
I have an Oly II that needs to be recovered and I am considering removing the tail feathers and converting to removable. Does anyone have a plan or schematic or photos for this conversion?
Oct 15, 2012, 01:51 AM
Balsa + glue + bluesky= fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger01
I have an Oly II that needs to be recovered and I am considering removing the tail feathers and converting to removable. Does anyone have a plan or schematic or photos for this conversion?
Post 19 and 20 should give some idea of what to do. It's a little different for each model. The important part is that the pivot should be about 30% of chord and no slop. The control can be forward or rear. I bashed a Viking and a Skybird with this mod, works great and much easier to store and transport. I use a glue stick to keep the rods sticky so the stab is retained in flight.

You can buy bellcranks, I made them with plywood and carbon tow laminations.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=610281&page=2
Last edited by leaktech; Oct 15, 2012 at 02:09 AM.
Oct 15, 2012, 09:01 AM
Gasbags & Gussets

leaktech question

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaktech
... I bashed a Viking and a Skybird with this mod, works great and much easier to store and transport. I use a glue stick to keep the rods sticky so the stab is retained in flight.
thanks for the info on the removable stabs.
i had been following your blog on the Skybird, how has it been going with that build? I know big planes can take a long time to build...

js
Oct 15, 2012, 10:01 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger01

Hi Roger and welcome to RCG. I've not built an Oly II but have built an Oly III with a removeable tail group. Here is a link to what I did and a drawing. It works very and is very strong. Hope it helps

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=252

Best,
Don
Oct 15, 2012, 11:54 AM
Balsa + glue + bluesky= fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswain
thanks for the info on the removable stabs.
i had been following your blog on the Skybird, how has it been going with that build? I know big planes can take a long time to build...

js

I'll finish it soon I hope. 3/4's there. Thanks for the motivation.

James

Quick Reply