Jan 09, 2011, 02:38 PM
I am sure this has been posted several times - but for those not wanting to read thru all the posts - just removed the tail supports off my S107.

Very nice improvement in speed and no effects from its original stable hove.
A win -win. less weight more speed, more agile.

Weights on flybar next to go.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 09, 2011, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanswarm View Post
Am I correct that this is your suggestion broken down into simplest terms:

1. Acquire and install PicooZ tail rotor, replacing stock rotor
2. Reverse polarity of wires because pitch of Picooz rotor is opposite the Syma

Is this anywhere near as easy as I've just made it sound?
WOW! I just put the tail rotor blade from a broken Picco clone I had on the S107. At least twice as fast as it was with the standard blade!!!!
Jan 09, 2011, 03:17 PM
Just tested this myself it does seem a little bit more nippy, s'all good

- Think I'll leave the flybar weights in I tested my s032 without the flybar weights and it flew a bit out of control.

let us know how it goes for ya tho !
Jan 09, 2011, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark stranger View Post
WOW! I just put the tail rotor blade from a broken Picco clone I had on the S107. At least twice as fast as it was with the standard blade!!!!
The tail rotor I used was from a 'Black Ghost' Picco clone.

No need to swap polarity on the tail motor!

I am honestly shocked at the difference it has made to the forward / backward speed of the S107. The Picco tail rotor blades are much wider with a more extreme pitch.

Highly recommended!
Last edited by dark stranger; Jan 09, 2011 at 05:06 PM.
Jan 09, 2011, 04:26 PM
Cn u buy the picco tail motor locally (like Radio Shack, etc...) or only via internet?

I just removed the flybar weights. WOW. Very quick and much more speed in FF. Gotta keep an eye on it though. Still hovers well though.

Try it and see how you like it. Takes more "flying the sticks" rather than just letting it kinda float where it wants to.
Jan 09, 2011, 05:39 PM
I've just had a few tinkers with my s107 ... You'll see by the vids of what I've removed - Flybar is unchanged enjoy ..sorry about my messy kitchen its washing day

1st vid was just a little play seeing if i could drive it along ...not very successful as you can see

2nd vid i'm just flying around seeing if i prefer it lighter or not. - Did notice you need hardly any throttle to get it up tho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaIRIy8Pctw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWzTtYEiWOQ
Jan 09, 2011, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunger View Post
Just curious what kind of flying range everyone is seeing. I have 2 107s (an R5 and a 12) and both can go about 15-20 feet away before they drop IR... Is that what everyone else is seeing?
If you have dark-colored walls or lots of window surface, that could affect range: My S107 seems to depend a lot on reflected IR from the walls. I tried flying it outside one evening (cloudy, near dusk, so no sunlight to interfere), and found that it was very finicky even when technically in range, if the orientation of the copter wasn't just right. I could be wrong, but my interpretation is that a lot of IR light from the controller bounces off the walls of a room.
Jan 09, 2011, 11:12 PM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Just received my first S107. Guess I got lucky, it's an R3 board. Took it for its first flight, it's a pretty nice heli. Much more responsive than my 6010 albeit a little slower.

Only seem to have one minor problem which doesn't really affect flight. The lower blades kind of shudder at low throttle and make a 'clacking' sound. It disappears with some throttle though. If I watch the blades, they also seem to vibrate a lot at low speed, there's a lot of movement. Any ideas? Bent shaft perhaps?
Jan 09, 2011, 11:36 PM

Bad/flakey S107?

After *many* crashes of the S107 I got for Christmas (and a bunch of pending orders to Chinese vendors on eBay for spare parts that I figure I'm going to end up needing), I bought a second S107 from eBay vendor tosell7. The box and heli look genuine, but its flight characteristics are terrible compared to my original one.

The new heli is *very* slow going forward or backward, the tail rotor making a lot more noise in the process. Most annoying, though, is that the left/right rotation is (a) very twitchy, and (b) often changes randomly and abruptly whenever I activate the tail rotor.

I wonder if I got a counterfeit S107? There are minor frame differences (motors are held in place with two tabs vs one, the bottom chassis plastic casting is different), but more telling (?), the controller that came with it won't operate the original S107, nor vice versa. FWIW, it looks like the circuit board is a rev 5, while the original was a rev 3. None of the standard indicators of a fake S107 seem to be in evidence, though. (metal instead of plastic lower rotor mount, round power jack, mis-labelled blades, no Syma logo on the box, etc.)

I've contacted the seller, hope to hear back Monday.

What do you guys think, though - shouldn't all S107s and controllers be interchangeable?
Jan 10, 2011, 12:05 AM
perpetual noob

Landing gear mod EASY.

This is an easy mod to help with sticking CD case landings.

Stretch a skinny piece of rubber band over your skis. Just use a short piece, not quite as long as the span of the ski supports, and poke holes with a paper clip. It's that easy. It adds no measurable weight to the heli, and it's removable if you don't like it.
Jan 10, 2011, 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by detchells View Post
After *many* crashes of the S107 I got for Christmas (and a bunch of pending orders to Chinese vendors on eBay for spare parts that I figure I'm going to end up needing), I bought a second

.........plastic lower rotor mount, round power jack, mis-labelled blades, no Syma logo on the box, etc.)

I've contacted the seller, hope to hear back Monday.

What do you guys think, though - shouldn't all S107s and controllers be interchangeable?
Do you have any pictures you can post? Would be curious to see. What USB all yellow? Come with a spare tail rotor?
Jan 10, 2011, 02:52 AM

Top rotor assembly stripped out

I know that this has been touched on at least once in this thread, but I didn't quite understand what CA is, which is what the solution was in the post I read. My set screws on the top rotor assembly are stripped out, so the shaft spins inside the assembly, causing the rotor to spin too slowly and making the S107 unable to lift off. Does anyone have a fix for this? It happened in the first day that I got the heli...I think when I had my wife fly it and she crashed and didn't let up on the throttle as the rotors were up against the couch and then the floor. Any useful solutions would be greatly appreciated.
Jan 10, 2011, 02:56 AM
Heli Mania
Quote:
Originally Posted by detchells View Post
They are for the two S107s I have ... which are both R5 boards. Not sure if the fact that you have a R3 and R5 would cause the TX to not work on both, but I wouldn't think so. From the other differences (motors held in with two tabs instead of one), it sounds like a clone/knockoff S107 to me.
Jan 10, 2011, 05:09 AM
Finally after 2-3 months of waiting i finally got my Syma S107(Luckily had a Rev3 board)Today and ive got to say its flies way better then my other mini Helicopters.
Jan 10, 2011, 05:12 AM
will taking the weights off the flybar affect its performance?
Last edited by scoutfrenzy; Jan 10, 2011 at 05:48 AM.

Quick Reply