Oct 03, 2012, 03:25 PM
Team Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4yn View Post
What brand/size and rating did you order?
need a few for mine. Does the CG come out close with these packs?

Tim
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._4S1P_45C.html

I just finished soldering the Deans plugs on and powered up the plane... HOLY CRAP... the power is ballistic.
TONS more ooomph than the 3 cell !
Now cycling them and hoping for some decent weather.
Still have to add the velcro battery strap in the battery bay and balance the plane.

Jim
to remove ads between posts
Oct 03, 2012, 03:37 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdeth View Post

I just finished soldering the Deans plugs on and powered up the plane... HOLY CRAP... the power is ballistic.
Still have to add the velcro battery strap in the battery bay and balance the plane.

Jim
I told you not to go with a 3S! Don't be too worried about CG, it's very forgiving. Book cg is good starting point. Have fun. How many cycles do u do for break in? I haven't been doing any and they seem to do fine. Only had 2 500 mAh 2 cells sky lipos go to crap for my twisted hobby Epp edge. I dropped a nice 3 s yesterday and for grins I smoked (safely outside!) the remaining 6v (1 cell shorted out). I have a new respect for discharging dead batts. Pretty good fire ball!
Last edited by dth7; Oct 03, 2012 at 03:43 PM.
Oct 03, 2012, 03:44 PM
Team Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
How many cycles do u do for break in? I haven't been doing any and they seem to do fine.
I will probably cycle twice each just for the heck of it.
Never really done it before either.
I usually just go easy on them for the first few cycles in the plane.
Oct 03, 2012, 03:58 PM
Quote:

Jim
I went with the Turnigys because the wire is more flexible and I have problems with the Zippies after a while with the wires coming disconnected from the battery. The flex in the Turnigy wire helps with this. A little more in cost but worth it IMHO.
Oct 03, 2012, 05:59 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Quote:
I will probably cycle twice each just for the heck of it.
Never really done it before either.
I usually just go easy on them for the first few cycles in the plane.
I had never heard of breaking a battery in until not too long ago. I really tortured a batch of Gens Ace 3s 2200 and 2600s in my amp sucking CZ Yak. Most of them still work good but I think it shortened the life considerably on some. Now I take it easy a few cycles also.
Oct 03, 2012, 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krexken View Post
I had never heard of breaking a battery in until not too long ago. I really tortured a batch of Gens Ace 3s 2200 and 2600s in my amp sucking CZ Yak. Most of them still work good but I think it shortened the life considerably on some. Now I take it easy a few cycles also.
Not only is it a good idea to cycle a few times...you shouldn't leave them fully charged for a long period of time.....I learned that the hard way and have 5 lipos.....3 x 2200 4s and 2 x 1600 3 s that don't give good power any more after only 10 months....nver been puffed or abused.....but I kept them fully charged and didn't use them for a while......from now on I'm charging the night before flying.....just ordered 2 more 2200 skylipos....we'll see if these last longer.
Oct 05, 2012, 09:32 PM
Team Broke
Maiden flight will be either Sat afternoon or Sun AM!
Oct 06, 2012, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Maiden flight will be either Sat afternoon or Sun AM!
Maidened Today , went straight up after lifting off and stalled while trying to recover. I believe I gave it too much throttle on take off, had been flying T-28 and Albetros which are different planes altogether.

Both wings cracked but fixable I need to try slower lift off! Flew UM Beast later with out problems except a miss calculated turn around a tree, no damage just a slight unexpected landing!

I was using a 2200 Ma 3C pack in the short time it was in air, several wild moments, it seemed tail heavy but all happened too soon to have real feel for that.

Tim
Oct 06, 2012, 12:25 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Bummer. Does sound like it may have been tailheavy with that 3s battery. Get her glued up and make sure it balances.
Oct 06, 2012, 04:13 PM
Team Broke
Got a new prop collet made by Hacker today and a new 1 3/4" yellow spinner.
Blast-off in the AM !

Jim
Oct 06, 2012, 07:11 PM
PSALM 14:1
Quote:
Blast-off in the AM !

Jim

Best of luck Jim! I envy you as mine is still in the box!
Oct 06, 2012, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krexken View Post
Bummer. Does sound like it may have been tailheavy with that 3s battery. Get her glued up and make sure it balances.
Are you all balancing by the "book" IE Dynams recommended CG?
Also 4 cell or 3?
Tim
Oct 06, 2012, 09:11 PM
Fly It Like You Stole It!

Gotta Go Bigger...

Quote:
Maidened Today , went straight up after lifting off and stalled while trying to recover. I believe I gave it too much throttle on take off, had been flying T-28 and Albetros which are different planes altogether.

Both wings cracked but fixable I need to try slower lift off! Flew UM Beast later with out problems except a miss calculated turn around a tree, no damage just a slight unexpected landing!

I was using a 2200 Ma 3C pack in the short time it was in air, several wild moments, it seemed tail heavy but all happened too soon to have real feel for that.

Tim
...with your batteries. Not enough prop speed with 3S to keep her flying properly. Nowhere in the manual does it say this ship can be flown on 3S. At the same time it also doesn't say you can't use 3S packs but (usually) the specs are the best starting point. This was also confirmed with the Peaks 42 flight review done by NP.

Big Bird (read heavy) needs more power & rpm's provided by the 4S packs. She'll lift off nicely with just a little over 1/2 throttle. Been flying 4S 2200 25C - 30C packs with excellent results & she has the proper power to get out of (& in) trouble.

It's plenty nose heavy (stable) at the factory mark & it's the best place to start. With the (4S) 2200 packs the front edge of the battery is about even or inline with the back edge of the front foam bulkhead with the hatch off.

For my Dynam Bipe, the CG is behind factory spec since I've been moving mine back to get more of a neutral flight attitude when inverted so I can lay off the elevator to keep her level.

Get a 4S 2200 pack before you try flying her again. You'll have much more potential for a successful flight by doing so...
Oct 06, 2012, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post
...with your batteries. Not enough prop speed with 3S to keep her flying properly. Nowhere in the manual does it say this ship can be flown on 3S. At the same time it also doesn't say you can't use 3S packs but (usually) the specs are the best starting point. This was also confirmed with the Peaks 42 flight review done by NP.

Big Bird (read heavy) needs more power & rpm's provided by the 4S packs. She'll lift off nicely with just a little over 1/2 throttle. Been flying 4S 2200 25C - 30C packs with excellent results & she has the proper power to get out of (& in) trouble.

It's plenty nose heavy (stable) at the factory mark & it's the best place to start. With the (4S) 2200 packs the front edge of the battery is about even or inline with the back edge of the front foam bulkhead with the hatch off.

For my Dynam Bipe, the CG is behind factory spec since I've been moving mine back to get more of a neutral flight attitude when inverted so I can lay off the elevator to keep her level.

Get a 4S 2200 pack before you try flying her again. You'll have much more potential for a successful flight by doing so...
Thanks for info, I thought 3s was OK, seems at one time 3c was listed as being needed to complete on website, I ordered 3c's with plane. Could have read it wrong on requirements though, I did not double check with manual just assumed 3c was right size.
I do have some 4C in mail for the big Waco so will be sure and use them on next try.
Tim
Oct 06, 2012, 10:02 PM
Quote:

Tim
the motor is rated for 4cell with that prop,sounds like you didnt have enough power on the 3 cell espicially a 2200 mine is stock and run it a recomended size 4 cell , the plane goes straight up in less than 2 feet ,

Quick Reply