Dec 09, 2011, 07:43 PM
SKPERFRANK
Thread OP
Discussion

Dumas George W. Wasburn

Ahoy
I havent done anything on here for a while so i my as well dive in. I got this for an early Christmas Present from my wife. This kit is just released from Dumas boats, I gather it is a new kit along with their subchaser. Upon opening the box i was greeded with a ton of wood all plank on frame construction. I have an old saito steram engine that will fit on the washington I elected to have this run on steam for power. so far as you can see in the photos The keel, stern and bow layout on the plans not glued yet testing for fit or any issues, The only issue I can see in the kit is the overal scale ofr the kit being designed at 1/48 scale she is way to small 30 inch,s should be almoswt around 36 inch,s i would say this kit is stand off scale to my eyes. Not complaining i am a happy camper this will be a great winter project and like to do a build log here, Here are the photos.

Boats
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2011, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperfrank
The only issue I can see in the kit is the overal scale of the kit being designed at 1/48 scale she is way to small 30 inches should be almost around 36 inches i would say this kit is stand off scale to my eyes.
Not too late to stretch the keel 6" and repro one of the middle formers to make it 36"

Looking forward to the build, skipperfrank!
Dec 10, 2011, 11:23 AM
SKPERFRANK
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded
Not too late to stretch the keel 6" and repro one of the middle formers to make it 36"

Looking forward to the build, skipperfrank!
Ahoy Areominded
Yep i was thinking about that too, everything in the kit would have to be reproduced, I decided to go a head and build it the way the kit is designed.

boats
Dec 10, 2011, 11:35 AM
SKPERFRANK
Thread OP

Laying down the frames

Ahoy
The build still continues on the photos below I constructed the frames and keel, Letting this dry over night before I construct the hull frames to the keel. The frames comkes in two pieces they have to be cemented together another thing i dont like about the kit they treated the design as if it was made for the static builder in mind. One more issue I ran across is that dumas did not include the stuffing box which is 5/16" brass tube in order to build frames 8 through 9 the stuffing box has to be installed first before these frames are completed to the hull assembly . I have to stop and go to the hobby shop and purchase this tubeing before the intire keel and frame assembly is constructed. On the stern section of the keel layout you will see what I mean.

Boats
Dec 11, 2011, 10:46 AM
I have to vote with Aero on this one. Yes it would mean a adaptation of current structures BUT your boat would not be like all the others. Yours would be custom. Looks good so far though. I like tugs.
Latest blog entry: Sea Maid
Dec 11, 2011, 02:35 PM
SKPERFRANK
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravman
I have to vote with Aero on this one. Yes it would mean a adaptation of current structures BUT your boat would not be like all the others. Yours would be custom. Looks good so far though. I like tugs.
Ahoy Gravman
Thanks for your reply, I elected to go ahead and build this right from the kit If I chose to go a head and exstend the keel everything else in the kit would be duplicated in the same procedure. I will live with the standoff scale of this kit. perhaps next time if I build another i will do this. I am happy.
Boats
Dec 11, 2011, 02:42 PM
SKPERFRANK
Thread OP

Keel and frame work completed

Ahoy
completed the keel and framework next will be the planking, Issue No.1, The kit does not include the stuffing box the stuffing box is included with the dumas running gear hardware package. without the stuffing box the assembly will come to a stop. on top of the keel the stuffing bhox is epoxied in to place and the stern keel section is epoxied on top of the stuffing box you will see what i mean from the previous photos, I went to the hobbyshop i bought the stuffing box which is 5/16" brass tubeing. Letting the framework dry over night allows time for the planking process. Not a bad kit so far but due tell, as to my observations there are 2 issues on the kit, I surmise there will be many more as the build continues.

Boats
Dec 11, 2011, 04:36 PM
Looking good, skipperfrank! I'm glad that Dumas seems to have gone back to wood kits vs. the vac-form hulls they were moving to for a while.
Dec 11, 2011, 05:43 PM
SKPERFRANK
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded
Looking good, skipperfrank! I'm glad that Dumas seems to have gone back to wood kits vs. the vac-form hulls they were moving to for a while.
Ahoy
Oh Ya, your right sir I for one I agree, thyose vacuform hulls take the fun out of model building, I always loved the old school method of model ship construction. Not a bad kit at all there are a couple issues i raqn across but there prabably are more as the build progresses. the Illistration booklet is very well done. It mostly pertains to the novis builder, I will have a couple more updates late this evening the planking begins. Thanks man

boats
Dec 12, 2011, 02:35 PM

There may be some stuff here that helps

Skipperfrank,

Started this thread but didn't get far - there may be some information that could help you in this thread. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1514895

Happy building
Rich
Dec 12, 2011, 08:52 PM
SKPERFRANK
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlboats2003
Skipperfrank,

Started this thread but didn't get far - there may be some information that could help you in this thread. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1514895

Happy building

Rich
Ahoy Rich
Thank you for your reply, I had no idea that you posted your thread on the dumas washburn tug, i assumed i was the only fella thats building the because its new. I feel like I hoarded your thread, truely sorry. there3 is a lot of good info on your thread that will assist me con the build. thanks again Rich.

Boats
Dec 12, 2011, 11:13 PM
SKPERFRANK
Thread OP

Planking the hull

ahoy
As for the daily update i started the planking useing 1/2 x 1/8X 36" planking makes life easy on the build. I should have the planking done tomoorow and get ready for the fibre glass. for power I was going to use steam but the model is to small for steam installation. so i will cuse electric instead I ordered the dumas 6 volt motor part No.2004 also the dumas running gear anoither $115.00 shelled out but got to have it this is no display model. as to the kit no fit probles with the assembly so far. another issue I stumbled across, the dumas folks made the thickness ofr the hull frames 3/32" it would be better if they would have made the frmaes 1/8th up to 3/16ths thick allowing a stronger hull durring the planking process. anyone who attemps to build this kit the hull frames are fragile can bust easy if not carefull plank both sides at the same time a good rule of thuimb. If not heeded in doing both sides at a time a warped hull will result and your time and money would have been wasted. another issue not certain if its good thing or bad the cabin structure is made from vynil material instead of useing plywood which Dumas is noted for. the pilot house windows are decals instead of useing the stae of art laser cutting of the windows I am going to cut out my windows in the kit and build up thye pilot house with details. for the money you cant beat the price of this kit. I puirchased this kit for $130.00 instead of the retail price of $225.00. The kit will keep me busy all winter long. Here is the update.
boats
Dec 13, 2011, 06:16 AM

Do not worry about

Skipper Frank,

I sent you the thread for the information value only. Would have liked to done a build but not in the cards. In fact with Christmas coming I got side tracked on my main project, the completion of the referb of a Morgan 30.
Ordering the new winches and cover today, going to talk to a company over Christmas Break for a bow puplit and then get back to the exterior teak. Then I start the interior. So feel free to plunder the other thread, and if need additional prototype information yell.

Happy Modeling,
Rich
Last edited by rlboats2003; Dec 13, 2011 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Better sentence structure
Dec 13, 2011, 12:26 PM
SKPERFRANK
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlboats2003
Skipper Frank,

I sent you the thread for the information value only. Would have liked to done a build but not in the cards. In fact with Christmas coming I got side tracked on my main project, the completion of the referb of a Morgan 30.
Ordering the new winches and cover today, going to talk to a company over Christmas Break for a bow puplit and then get back to the exterior teak. Then I start the interior. So feel free to plunder the other thread, and if need additional prototype information yell.

Happy Modeling,
Rich
Ahoy Rich
Thanks loads for your reply, I will do that I never heard of this tug before. when viewing it on ebay and wanting to give this kit a go. I had no idea my wife beat me to it she got it for me for a early christmas present.It will keep me busy all winter long I am enjoying the build when I take her out for sea trial if everything is satisfactory I can use herat my sailboat club as a recovery tug in case any stranded sailboats start to founder at the pond. I use my Hatman douglas Greg Tug but she is to heavy for this 72 year old man, The Warshburn ius just right with ballast and radio gear inside it seams it wont be that heavy as my Hartman tug. thanks for your reply Rich I will give you a yell if I need anything

Boats
Dec 13, 2011, 10:15 PM
SKPERFRANK
Thread OP

Planking finished

ahoy
The planking is now finished next step is to sand the hull down and prepare for fibre glassing one day this week hyopefully i can get my motor and runni8ngt gear but it wont stop me on the build. I have other things to do to keep me busy. Here are the update for the day.

boats

Quick Reply