Aug 02, 2012, 09:02 PM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
you look like there is no strength in the middle at all bro..... you need uninteruped strips of weave going straight across the top wingtip to wingtip top and bottom, or some extra beefy spars. there is zero strength the way it is now.

even on just lam builds you need the lam to not be cut through the middle as it bears the entire force of the plane through the middle
to remove ads between posts
Aug 02, 2012, 09:38 PM
Brosius,
If you look at this picture I'll explain what I have for spars. On the aft side of L/H and R/H battery hatches a glass rebar runs through the corflute from the root of the wing to the tip, this is mirrored on the bottom but with no corflute. At the aft end of my electronics bay is a 5mm CF spar running perpendicular to the centerline of the plane, it meets the glass rebar spars atthe ends. This is mirrored on the bottom. Also have the 5mm internal spar.

Hope this is enough!!!

The top 5mm spar is not yet installed in this pic.
Aug 02, 2012, 10:19 PM
Mum is the word!
Cover with 5 mil lam, you dont need it crazy smooth, lam will go down nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by brolley
I'm sure smoother is better but how smooth is smooth enough. I put down one layer of filler over the entire wing and sanded. Its pretty smooth but I can still feel some imperfecftions. Should I go for another coat or leave it as is. Paint and lam is next.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of paint versus monocoat. What are you guys covering with?
Aug 02, 2012, 11:23 PM
oh ok 2x 5mm carbon spars through the middle should be pretty good

mono is good for aesthetics but is nothing like lam for strength
Aug 06, 2012, 06:29 PM
Something Something RC
Do I need to be concerned with air vents to cool my esc? The ritewing video does not show them. It seems like some people put them in and some go without.

4s or 5s 5000mah - ICE 100 w/ heatsink - Mega 16-25-2ec

Thanks,
Rob
Aug 06, 2012, 07:36 PM
CK
I think you sent me 5 mil and 10 mil lam. Should I do a layer of 10 from cg forward top & bottom then 5 over the whole wing?
Aug 06, 2012, 07:43 PM
rlc2052
If you're going to be pushing the limits of your ice100 with that power setup you should have provisions for cooling. Mine is going to be asking a lot from my ice100 so I am exposing the top of it. If you need some ideas click on any picture in this thread then at the bottom of the pic, click on pictures in thread. This will show you all the pictures posted in this thread.
Aug 07, 2012, 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlc2052
Do I need to be concerned with air vents to cool my esc? The ritewing video does not show them. It seems like some people put them in and some go without.

4s or 5s 5000mah - ICE 100 w/ heatsink - Mega 16-25-2ec

Thanks,
Rob
Quote:
rlc2052
If you're going to be pushing the limits of your ice100 with that power setup you should have provisions for cooling. Mine is going to be asking a lot from my ice100 so I am exposing the top of it. ....
Rob,
If your ICE isn't exposed you will need to run some scoops. Here is the results of some testing comparing the effect of some simple plastic spoon scoops on a similar set up to yours: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=9694

Cheers
Peter
Aug 07, 2012, 03:26 AM
Quote:
CK
I think you sent me 5 mil and 10 mil lam. Should I do a layer of 10 from cg forward top & bottom then 5 over the whole wing?
Brad,
The thick stuff is intended to go underneath to be tougher when skidding along the ground and the light stuff goes on top. Since you'll be using a tow hook, the bottom of the wing laminate won't touch the ground anyway so you can do it either way!
Aug 07, 2012, 09:30 AM
Mum is the word!
5 mil first then do a 10 mil skid . The 10 is applied over the 5 d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M
Brad,
The thick stuff is intended to go underneath to be tougher when skidding along the ground and the light stuff goes on top. Since you'll be using a tow hook, the bottom of the wing laminate won't touch the ground anyway so you can do it either way!
Aug 07, 2012, 11:23 AM
Something Something RC
Quote:
rlc2052
If you're going to be pushing the limits of your ice100 with that power setup you should have provisions for cooling. Mine is going to be asking a lot from my ice100 so I am exposing the top of it. If you need some ideas click on any picture in this thread then at the bottom of the pic, click on pictures in thread. This will show you all the pictures posted in this thread.
Thanks for the hint about "pictures in thread" this will save a lot of time
Aug 07, 2012, 11:23 AM
Something Something RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M
Rob, If your ICE isn't exposed you will need to run some scoops. Here is the results of some testing comparing the effect of some simple plastic spoon scoops on a similar set up to yours: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=9694

Cheers Peter
Yeah... I think I will be adding some scoops.

Thanks,
Rob
Aug 11, 2012, 01:58 AM
finally got my D40 maidened what a blast! i have never flown anything like it.

it is about 70oz but it still stalls nice and smooth, launches easy enough, and it an absolute pleasure to fly.

can't wait to really dial it in.

Ritewing D40 maiden (3 min 41 sec)
Aug 11, 2012, 02:06 AM
Congratulations, your ear to ear grin says it all!

(Hand launched like a champ too!)
Aug 11, 2012, 02:14 AM
i was taught by the best

Quick Reply