Feb 26, 2013, 12:21 PM
San Mateo, CA

My Mini CP's have this "ratcheting feel" when you turn the blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk
Try using some plastic safe oil like triflo on the main bearings and the swash bearing. These need a little oil, usually about every 20 flights. Make sure your pinion has correct clearance as the motor may has shifted. It needs to be completely friction free with no sign of gear clogging. T
The coreless motor is great when you have zero friction, but will drastically lose flight time if friction is present as it does not have the same torque as the core motor.
Can you tell me how you would " adjust" for the correct clearance on the CP's ( Mini / Genius/ Super?? My Mini's ( I have 3 or 4) all have this "ratcheting feel" when you turn the blades. The Super and Genius's that I have are totally friction less. I looked to see where I could possibly vary the distance between the pinion and the gear but I can not see where I can make that adjustment. What are you'all doing to make that gearing smooth??
Last edited by HPCR; Feb 26, 2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: moved to a separate thread
to remove ads between posts
Feb 26, 2013, 01:20 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasy666
yes already reduced the Gyrothe flat side of the poti is showing to 9:30 AM so it is reduced.

but it is still a difference to feel, the Super CP is more direct, I got this feedback also from other people here in Germany.

I am using the V1.3 FW; so not an old version on my Mini CP. and still here the Mini CP feel not so direct. it is not a big problem, the Mini CP flys great, also I did the firest invert flights. I like the Mini.

But the Super CP reacts directer, but with the issue on the tail, it is at the moment not my favourite. it is for me as a invert flight beginner very critical if the tail is not stabil... so the Mini CP is my favourite, My trust in the Mini CP is higher.
What I noticed with the SCP is if to much pitch is applied & causes any bog on the main the tail will not be stable. With my BL setup & pitch curve set to + & -40 ST1, + & - 45 ST2 I have a solid tail & still plenty of pitch to flip & fly inverted & no motor bog.
Feb 26, 2013, 01:29 PM
The two tails are 100% the same, anyway since I modded my tail to a.7 mm tail motor I used a mini CP boom.
Feb 26, 2013, 01:33 PM
...if you take the time
All this motor talk, made we wanna try the genius motor
Should I bother fitting the genius gear (I've read it requires frame mod), or just use the stock gear?
Thanks
Feb 26, 2013, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPCR
Can you tell me how you would " adjust" for the correct clearance on the CP's ( Mini / Genius/ Super?? My Mini's ( I have 3 or 4) all have this "ratcheting feel" when you turn the blades. The Super and Genius's that I have are totally friction less. I looked to see where I could possibly vary the distance between the pinion and the gear but I can not see where I can make that adjustment. What are you'all doing to make that gearing smooth??
The stock Mini motor has very strong magnets, so ratchety feeling is normal. If you go brushless, outrunners have the same behaviour.
Feb 26, 2013, 05:19 PM
Crasy666 what flight times do you get with your brushless Mini in stunt mode?
Feb 27, 2013, 12:32 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleShark
Should I bother fitting the genius gear (I've read it requires frame mod), or just use the stock gear?
Thanks
I would just use the stock gear. The Mini CP motor is definitely more powerful but I was able to all the basic 3D and aerobatic stuff with the Genius motor.

I have to admit though that I could give a valid comparison between the Super CP and Mini CP board. The Mini CP board I used have been repaired 3 to 4 times. It flies a bit worse after each repair. My impression was that a new Mini CP is definitely more stable than mine.
Feb 27, 2013, 01:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopter_new
Crasy666 what flight times do you get with your brushless Mini in stunt mode?
I can fly approx 4:50 min in stunt mode and recharge 300 mAh in a 350 mAh wk battery
Feb 27, 2013, 08:26 AM
Brent 黑雁
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleShark
Thanks
Try it with the stock gear and see how you like it as it gives more head speed. Make sure you have no gear cogging feel when doing the swap as any at all creates friction, which puts drag on the motor. The coreless motor needs a no friction environment to work properly. You still may have to lengthen the bolt holes to get the correct gear mesh, but all that is required is a drill bit the just fits the slots. You just spin it up at high speed and you can lengthen the slots to give more gear clearance, which you definitely need to do with the genius gear anyway.
Feb 27, 2013, 08:39 AM
Crasy666 thank you for your feedback.

Has anyone tried the FBL100/V922 motor on Mini?
On the FBL100 this motor seems to be very powerful, gives good climb rate with no bogging and flight time of 4 minutes.
Feb 27, 2013, 10:40 AM
Registered Fiend
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopter_new
Crasy666 thank you for your feedback.

Has anyone tried the FBL100/V922 motor on Mini?
On the FBL100 this motor seems to be very powerful, gives good climb rate with no bogging and flight time of 4 minutes.
Not yet but I have one on it's way to me. what did confuse me though was banggood sell both the fb10o motor and the v922 motor and use the same picture with slightly different brightness but are very different prices.

Are they the same product or is the more expensive fb100 motor different/better than the cheaper v922?
Feb 27, 2013, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by microrcfiend
Are they the same product or is the more expensive fb100 motor different/better than the cheaper v922?
Same product, different brand.
Feb 27, 2013, 10:56 AM
Thread OP
I am a bit worried about having to change pinions if I use the V922 motor. I have used the Mini CP tail motor in the V922 and the tail would not hold at all.
Feb 27, 2013, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw
I have used the Mini CP tail motor in the V922 and the tail would not hold at all.
It maybe happened because of the smaller size of Mini's tail motor, Mini has 6mm tail motor whereas FBL100 has 7mm tail motor.
Feb 27, 2013, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPCR
There should be at least (not less than) a hair's width (or two) air gap between Pinion and Main Gear all along the circumference of the Main Gear as it is rotated against the Pinion. The air gap can be adjusted by loosening both Motor mount screws (under the Main Frame) and repositioning the Motor further or closer to the Main Gear as required, then retighten both Motor mount Screws, and re-verify there's at least (not less than) a hair's width air gap between Pinion and Main Gear all along the circumference of the Main Gear as it is rotated against the Pinion.

Quick Reply