Jan 18, 2010, 03:12 AM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuegodeth View Post
How loud was yours?
It was an LS motor, which are known for being loud.

Scrappy Speedwing w/ Parkjet Custom (2 min 9 sec)

Not sure if more prop clearance would have made it quieter, but a DLRK motor would probably help.

Kevin
to remove ads between posts
Jan 18, 2010, 08:36 AM
Go ahead... Build it to crash!
noise in a pusher is mostly the prop chopping through two separated layers of air. Closer the prop is to the wing the louder.
Jan 18, 2010, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Well, 7t of 22g Y is a great wind on this little motor....and I am guessing was nearing 100mph at WOT.
Was this an ABC wind? I'd love to see some video that I could doppler. I have a need for a small motor like this that pushes 100mph.
Jan 18, 2010, 09:47 AM
That was DLRK Y on that motor. It was the 3000kv version to before rewinding. I'll have to see if my friend can get some video of it.

I also found something interesting on HobbyKing website regarding dimensions of different versions of this motor.

1300kv lists 30mm length
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...s_Motor_1300kv

3000kv lists 28mm length
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...s_Motor_3000kv

1500kv lists 29mm length
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...s_Motor_1500kv

1700kv lists 30mm length
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...s_Motor_1700kv

The 1300 and 1500kv versions both seem to be ABC versions. The pic in the 1500 shows the back and you can see the full magnet bell of the 16mag version. I know the 3000kv version is 14 magnets. I wonder what the 1700kv version is? I wonder if it's the 14 mag with the 30mm can. That might be the sweet spot right there. I think I'll have to try one and see.

Edit: ....... or not... It appears to be out of stock at the moment.
Jan 18, 2010, 12:11 PM
Dave North
Thread OP
Quote:
I know the 3000kv version is 14 magnets. I wonder what the 1700kv version is?
As of the last time anyone ran the check (hands up!) the 3000Kv was the only dLRK version; all others were 16-mag ABC.

FD, shims are something I've been ridiculously lazy about, and I do think that's the answer. Truth to tell, some of these motors do ship with shims (usually the 3000Kv) but it's random. Some do, some don't. Those are prized "blanks" (I just did a 14T 24awg with one of them).

There is one remaining problem though. The factory has two people putting the cans (and sometimes mounts) on. One of them has a delicate touch and those work fine. The other is not happy unless they've torqued the grub screws down until they're stripped.

With those, you have to live with the can position no matter what.

Dave
Jan 18, 2010, 04:44 PM
Dave, I've noticed pretty random grub screw tightening too. Fortunately none of the ones I've ordered have arrived stripped... but there's always red loctite if they are. Knock on wood my next batch arrives OK, whenever it arrives.

Quote:
noise in a pusher is mostly the prop chopping through two separated layers of air. Closer the prop is to the wing the louder.
I agree about the noise created by choppy air entering the prop, especially when moving at higher speeds where the wake is stronger. It's just that my scrappy setup was already noisy when I bench tested in free air; that insulator 10T was also very loud on the bench, but that one had a "tired" prop. Unfortunately I can't extend the sticks any farther back on either plane (CG issues). Worthy of note, when I stick the APC 4.75^2 on my insulator, it's quiet as can be.

Cheers,
Kevin
Jan 18, 2010, 09:42 PM
I can fix that.
Has anyone wound a 14T 24g dLRK? I am thinking it should be OK for 3cells, 9x5 HD, not full power all the time. I want to use it on a Clik-X which should weight about 12 oz with a 750mah battery. I saw the 14/13, but not all 14.

-Ken
Jan 18, 2010, 09:55 PM
3DHS 'native'

US supplier of 3000kv!!!

I finally found a US supplier of the turnigy red and blue wonder in 3000kv!!!

I am so excited and can hardly type this.

Any order over $27 ships free.

No I dont know or own anything related to this company.

Just glad to not order from Hobby city and wait 482 years for my order (no its not that bad but you know...)

I just placed an order I will let y'all know when I get it

http://montorc.com/
Jan 18, 2010, 09:55 PM
Ken,

I haven't seen a 14T-y, but that would put Kv somewhere in the neighborhood of 1250-1280, depending if it's ABC or DLRK. 14T of 24awg is going to be a challenge, especially with rotor clearance; not saying it's impossible, but the most I've seen in 14T is 25awg.

Difficulty aside, I think that wind is going to be too hot for a 9050 on 3s. FWIW, Manuel made a 17T-Y (1020-1050Kv) that pulled just under 7A. Maybe something like a 16T(26awg) or 15T(26-25awg)-Y would be good if you are looking to max it out (~1100-1200Kv), but that's just a guess.

Kev
Jan 18, 2010, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
I finally found a US supplier of the turnigy red and blue wonder in 3000kv!!!

I am so excited and can hardly type this.

Any order over $27 ships free.

No I dont know or own anything related to this company.

Just glad to not order from Hobby city and wait 482 years for my order (no its not that bad but you know...)

I just placed an order I will let y'all know when I get it

http://montorc.com/
$11.73 isn't a bad price if you buy 3 at a time. Nice find.

Kev
Jan 18, 2010, 09:59 PM
3DHS 'native'
Yea plus free shipping rocks.

I have a spool of microDan wire ready to rewind these.

Heck I need to build a few more foamies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post
$11.73 isn't a bad price if you buy 3 at a time. Nice find.

Kev
Jan 18, 2010, 10:16 PM
Dave North
Thread OP

14 Turns of 24 AWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomonx View Post
Has anyone wound a 14T 24g dLRK?
Well Ken, if you had looked two posts earlier ... here are the numbers:

Tgy 2730 14T 24g dLRK Wye
Kv 1290 (15527/12.015v) Io = 0.36 Rm = 0.180
GWS 8040 HD Hex 460 3S 10091 rpm @ 10.50v/7.94a
Badcock: 520 grams 18.3 oz/thrust 78.6% Efficient
Drive Calc: 572 grams 20.2 oz/thrust 81.2% Efficient

I expected a little better, but I might be hitting a bit of a humidity error (air density might be significantly too high for the temp right now; the thrust stand readings were higher than the Badcock calculation). I might try again after this storm bleeds away.

Pretty close guess on that Kv, given the variability of these motors.

Dave
Jan 18, 2010, 10:46 PM
Dave, nice results... just added that to my 'sheet. 16W heat dissipated with an 8040, which is going to skyrocket with Ken's 9050 I'm assuming. Very interesting results though. These Rednblues are a snick higher in Kv, so 14T -should- be the standard with newer packs. Of course, I'm starting to join the conservative minority with my motors (except on the fast high Kv stuff)... I'm sure 12&13T would go out the door faster.

BTW, interesting comment about humidity. Might be a week before this one blows over us.

Kev

[edit: The latest rednblue data is attached. ]
Last edited by Truglodite; Jan 18, 2010 at 11:57 PM.
Jan 18, 2010, 11:59 PM
Dave North
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post
I'm starting to join the conservative minority with my motors (except on the fast high Kv stuff)... I'm sure 12&13T would go out the door faster.
You're right, they do. But it all kinds of depends on what you're doing. For example, most 3D people think there's no cost to having way too much power, but in fact that means they're usually flying too far below the max efficiency and it does cost.
Quote:
BTW, interesting comment about humidity.
I'm just guessing, but when conditions are neutral my thrust stand will jibe very well with Badcock's numbers -- which should be no surprise since it's designed (and calibrated) to match Phil's stand from whence the original data. If it gets too hot, my numbers drop below the Badcock standard (and I usually wait until evening to run the test rather than including a temperature correction. But not always). Then again, on some days like this I get higher thrust readings even with a temperature correction. I'm guessing that might be the humidity, but perhaps some prop expert will 'splain where I'm wrong.

The point of the 14T, though: it's well-behaved when you're running the 460 3S. The worst thing about those batteries is they'll gladly overdeliver and give you more power than you ever imagined from a pack like that. The achilles heel is a glorious but short life.

Dave
Jan 19, 2010, 12:37 AM
I hate to disappoint you all, but I think I got the last 3 3000kv models from that site. I tried to order 4, and they said didn't have 4 in stock. I changed to 3 and it went through. Now it shows out of stock. Sorry about that. Hopefully they will restock those soon.

Quick Reply