Jan 30, 2013, 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion
Yes I love me some flybar helis..lol..To date everything i have owned is flybar. Not saying fbl is bad what so ever. Obviously I'm the odd one out when it comes to fb vs. fbl. I think that over the past few years it's what i have been so accustomed to flying it just feels better, More locked in for "me". I have tried a friends fbl 500 twice and it just felt mushy around center stick.
Maybe he had it set up wrong..I have no idea. fbl does look a whole hell of alot better. But yes I have been looking for an "align" 450 pro fb head and there becoming very difficult to find. Every now and then i will find one on E-bay only to be beat out by the damn snipers.
Your buddy may have had a bit too much expo setup on his heli... I had my expo set to 40 on mine and it was super spongy according to my friend who flies a lot better than me lol

Quote:
Hey what wattage or even brand name are you guys using for your soldering Iron ?? Today i was going to Fix a couple what i think are horrible looking battery plug jobs, only to get pissed off at my Chinese 45 watt garbage iron. ( I think its more like 20 Watt )
I just need to go to home depot and pick up something decent.
Also what mix soldering wire is best for job at hand ? -mix ratio-
Are you using Silver solder? That is the only reason I can see you having issues with a 45 watter... I use a 30 and a 45 watt Iron and 60/40 rosin core solder. The key is to heat up the part that you want to solder and then make the connection. Allowing the solder to flow into your intended place instead of heating the solder on the connection point.

Also, my life has been MUCH easier since I found these little gems: http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...cs-p-1600.html

I use them on all of my batteries now and all my connections come out perfect. It almost feels like cheating
to remove ads between posts
Jan 31, 2013, 12:11 AM
Need More PURPLE !!
Thread OP
Thanks for the links and ideas fellas. I went to home depot, They did not have what i was looking for, Ended up at Lowe's on the other side of the world. ( yes just for a damn soldering iron. ) and got a Weller 60watt.. way better then what i was using.
Thanks for the link on the deans connectors MRMJ2U..That does look alot simpler. Unfortunately I'm reworking my EC5's .
They look better then what i had. Am i using silver solder you ask...Ummmm it's silver in color.. I'm not sure..But i do know its leaded. Work is done, but still nothing to gloat about. I just simply hate soldering..

Side note...I just ordered this tonight... Spring is around the corner and its Plank time. http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...5e-arf-EFL4175

Need to find a snoopy pilot.

P.s Paul1968...I blame this one on you..I was admiring your Tiger Moth .

P.P.s Mhills...I did see a butane iron. But was soon taken back to my crack pipe days.. ( not a good idea )
Last edited by Dejavu*Xion; Jan 31, 2013 at 01:07 AM.
Jan 31, 2013, 01:09 AM
Get the 60/40 rosin core solder from Radio Shack. The rosin removes oxidation from the metal so the solder has a clean surface to flow into.
Jan 31, 2013, 01:17 AM
Need More PURPLE !!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer
Get the 60/40 rosin core solder from Radio Shack. The rosin removes oxidation from the metal so the solder has a clean surface to flow into.
Ahhhhh...There is a good tip..Radio shack is just around the corner from me. Ill pick some 60/40 up 2marrow..Becouse whatever it is I'm using now looks almost flaky and grey..Crap, I'm going to have to re-work these 3 times now hu ? Just enough led wire to do this one more time.

Amazing i have not had any joint breaks in past few years. Just looked like crap is all.
Jan 31, 2013, 03:32 AM
My solder is radioshack 60/40 also, .032 diameter. My iron is just a radioshack 30 watt but it seems to be ok for most jobs, the tips seem soft and wear after a while. But I am looking for a nicer one, maybe a Weller since that's what I've used before in the past and never had any problems.

The butane ones are really nice for field work/repair.

mrmj2u, you might as well use bullet connectors . Solder twice with them huh..? I'm going to start using the xt60 connectors on my plank and see how I like them, right now I use mostly hxt's red barrel connectors for my helis but they are too long and bulky.

dejavu, a snoopy plane would be sick! You should paint it . That's a nice plane though. I just bought a Parkzone Ultra Micro Stryker 180 http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ctric-Airplane
Also still waiting for my foamie batteries from HK
Jan 31, 2013, 08:21 AM
If you go to radio shack just pick up a can of rosin. It's like $4 for more than you will use in a life time. Brush a little on your connections and wire before soldering.
Jan 31, 2013, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Thanks for the links and ideas fellas. I went to home depot, They did not have what i was looking for, Ended up at Lowe's on the other side of the world. ( yes just for a damn soldering iron. ) and got a Weller 60watt.. way better then what i was using.
Thanks for the link on the deans connectors MRMJ2U..That does look alot simpler. Unfortunately I'm reworking my EC5's .
They look better then what i had. Am i using silver solder you ask...Ummmm it's silver in color.. I'm not sure..But i do know its leaded. Work is done, but still nothing to gloat about. I just simply hate soldering..

Side note...I just ordered this tonight... Spring is around the corner and its Plank time. http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...5e-arf-EFL4175

Need to find a snoopy pilot.

P.s Paul1968...I blame this one on you..I was admiring your Tiger Moth .

P.P.s Mhills...I did see a butane iron. But was soon taken back to my crack pipe days.. ( not a good idea )
That plane is sweet!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz
My solder is radioshack 60/40 also, .032 diameter. My iron is just a radioshack 30 watt but it seems to be ok for most jobs, the tips seem soft and wear after a while. But I am looking for a nicer one, maybe a Weller since that's what I've used before in the past and never had any problems.

mrmj2u, you might as well use bullet connectors . Solder twice with them huh..? I'm going to start using the xt60 connectors on my plank and see how I like them, right now I use mostly hxt's red barrel connectors for my helis but they are too long and bulky.

dejavu, a snoopy plane would be sick! You should paint it . That's a nice plane though. I just bought a Parkzone Ultra Micro Stryker 180 http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ctric-Airplane
I've thought about switching over to bullets... I would just have to change everything over... ugh... lol
Jan 31, 2013, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmj2u
]I've thought about switching over to bullets... I would just have to change everything over... ugh... lol
the red barrel hxt connectors (bullets)? or just the bullets themselves, like an esc-motor connection?

Do you guys use flux for soldering?
Jan 31, 2013, 02:33 PM
Quote:
the red barrel hxt connectors (bullets)? or just the bullets themselves, like an esc-motor connection?

Do you guys use flux for soldering?
I was more leaning toward the 5mm bullet connectors themselves, with heat shrink of course.

I don't use a separate flux since the rosin itself serves as a flux and is built into the rosin-core solder.

I keep forgetting to share this link to a 60 Watt Solder Station for only $15 + Shipping: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...h_US_Plug.html

Last edited by mrmj2u; Jan 31, 2013 at 02:44 PM.
Jan 31, 2013, 03:09 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Thread OP
Quote:

Stryker plane..Very cool, I have yet to fly one of those but have a buddy with one. Says its one of his favorites to fly. That thing has taken some serious abuse and still takes to the sky like a rock star he says.
I found a snoopy figurine to Pilot the rhapsody on order..Figure i will dremel his torso in half and glue his butt in place.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Medicom-UDF-...item53f34cb0b4
Jan 31, 2013, 06:13 PM
The Red Baron . $20 for a snoopy figure? Wow.

Yeah the stryker sounds and looks like it's going to be really cool.
Jan 31, 2013, 09:01 PM
Just finished mounting the new can on the CHP 600

Jan 31, 2013, 10:28 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Thread OP
Quote:
The Red Baron . $20 for a snoopy figure? Wow.

Yeah the stryker sounds and looks like it's going to be really cool.
Yeah $20 for a snoopy character is a bit much..Im still looking .

MRMJ2U: your new canopy looks to be glass. But uh-oh what happend to the one you bought from me ? Or are you doing the " more is better" thing ? Your 600 is a very sleek looking heli.
Jan 31, 2013, 10:31 PM
I'm definitely keeping your old canopy. I will fly with that more one mostly. I'm afraid of destroying the custom can... That thing is like glass man...
Feb 01, 2013, 05:33 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Thread OP
WOW.... Horizon hobby is freaking wayyyy fast...I just ordered this plane 2 days ago..Money cleared my bank today..And UPS "lady" already dropped off the box.. Was not expecting this till late next week.
Looks like i have something to do this weekend. ...No i wont bore any of you with a mouth breathing 9 year old un-boxing video..
Last edited by Dejavu*Xion; Feb 20, 2013 at 05:47 PM.

Quick Reply