Jul 29, 2011, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
I'd try flashing in one of the other firmware files... several times if necessary until the camera gives in and starts working again (seriously!) I guess you've tried the "reconnect to USB port" and battery disconnect possible fixes? The only other thing I can think of is perhaps the shutter button is intermittant or suddenly broken. These cameras can be persnickity... I have one donated to me that works perfectly for about one minute... then suddenly stops recording with no file saved... probably a thermal related issue.
I've un soldered the battery, tried flashing all four firmware a few times and still the same results... Yellow light to denote power is on and it will turn off with power button, however there's no quick blink upon turning it on like I used to get to denote the camera has boot up, and the shutter button does nothing. I think I'm dead.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2011, 06:53 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffkot
I tried charging it again. It still won't work. Then I opened up the unit to measure the battery voltage. The battery reads 4.11 volts between the red lead and the shield of the memory chip holder, but curiously no voltage between the red lead and the shield of the mini USB connector housing which should also be at ground potential.

I used the shield on the mem chip holder as ground because I couldn't get my probe on the circuit trace where the the black lead of the battery is soldered to the board without risking a short.

I think the battery is good.

Cliff
Yep... sounds like the battery is not causing it to not turn on. I've had similar situation with another camera, and it revives every time by disconnecting the battery power, then reconnecting to "cold boot" the camera. The power on button would also be a suspect component.
Jul 29, 2011, 06:56 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirChime
I've un soldered the battery, tried flashing all four firmware a few times and still the same results... Yellow light to denote power is on and it will turn off with power button, however there's no quick blink upon turning it on like I used to get to denote the camera has boot up, and the shutter button does nothing. I think I'm dead.
Sounds like it, unfortunately!
Jul 29, 2011, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Sounds like it, unfortunately!
Thanks for all your help.
Jul 29, 2011, 07:01 PM
Great Southern Land
Quote:
, plus you can simply run a line of CA down the slit if you want to be sure.
Read somewhere (I think in a Multiplex foamie manual) that CA is not so good for the plasic covering of the cable. Tends to make it brittle over time.

Kev
Jul 29, 2011, 07:21 PM
How big or size is the #11 Jumbo LxHxW?
Jul 29, 2011, 07:23 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
I used ca to repair my foam plane once, but will try to avoid doing it again unless a quick field fix is needed. The foam is durable because it flexes. Fixing a crack with CA just transfers shock to the end of the joint rather than spreading in out.

White Gorilla Glue turns to foam, fills cracks and bonds well. For filling slots and larger cracks or gaps, bathtub caulk works well.
Jul 29, 2011, 08:07 PM
Just thumbing through...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks
I used ca to repair my foam plane once, but will try to avoid doing it again unless a quick field fix is needed. The foam is durable because it flexes. Fixing a crack with CA just transfers shock to the end of the joint rather than spreading in out.

White Gorilla Glue turns to foam, fills cracks and bonds well. For filling slots and larger cracks or gaps, bathtub caulk works well.
There are lots of wire gage calculators on the web, I use this one. I still would use 26AWG, but I would be powering the cam from the flight battery using a connection to the balance port. This way I would expect the voltage loss of about 2% would be negligible and I could film any flight up to the capacity of the card. Set the ESC to high cutoff.

My #7 works like that, no problem except of course you get a reboot every time the battery is connected. That's a good thing - cleanses the buffers. Don't know any reason it wouldn't work for #11, but haven't tried it.

Oh yeah, I would use glass reinforced tape over the slot!
Jul 29, 2011, 08:09 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdlcar
How big or size is the #11 Jumbo LxHxW?
See Post #2
Jul 29, 2011, 08:17 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot
There are lots of wire gage calculators on the web, I use this one. I still would use 26AWG, but I would be powering the cam from the flight battery using a connection to the balance port. This way I would expect the voltage loss of about 2% would be negligible and I could film any flight up to the capacity of the card. Set the ESC to high cutoff.

My #7 works like that, no problem except of course you get a reboot every time the battery is connected. That's a good thing - cleanses the buffers. Don't know any reason it wouldn't work for #11, but haven't tried it.

That's the same wire gage calculator I use! It all depends on how much voltage drop you are willing to accept. I arbitrarily picked .01V, only because the camera can be a bit persnickity on it's own!
Jul 29, 2011, 08:32 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot

Whoa...you can do that? From the flight battery? That would sure simplify matters. However that would by-pass the bec circuit and one could drain the flight battery below the receiver spec on a long thermal flight, right?
Jul 29, 2011, 08:52 PM
I just got a #11 hd camera and I can't get it to turn on. It worked fine for the first day and I went to use it the next day and it wouldn't turn on. The red light comes on when I plug it in and it goes out but the camera won't turn on. When I disconnect it from the cable it won't do anything. Does anybody know whats wrong or have any thoughts on how to fix it before I send it back and wait 3 months for a replacement.
Jul 29, 2011, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnguy
I just got a #11 hd camera and I can't get it to turn on. It worked fine for the first day and I went to use it the next day and it wouldn't turn on. The red light comes on when I plug it in and it goes out but the camera won't turn on. When I disconnect it from the cable it won't do anything. Does anybody know whats wrong or have any thoughts on how to fix it before I send it back and wait 3 months for a replacement.
Where did you get it from? See my post #5769.

Cliff
Jul 29, 2011, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffkot
Where did you get it from? See my post #5769.

Cliff
I got it from ebay from one of the recommended sellers at the beginning of this thread. Did you get yours to work yet?
Jul 29, 2011, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnguy
I got it from ebay from one of the recommended sellers at the beginning of this thread. Did you get yours to work yet?
No. It is dead. I also got mine from one of the recommended sellers, Eletoponaline (or something like that). This really ticks me off. They brag about checking the stuff out before they ship. I also asked them to load the software that allows for longer recording. They said they would.

I don't have time to deal with this crap.

Quick Reply