Mar 18, 2012, 03:01 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke
Wayne that gps thing sounds cool. where can we get one?
Velocity-rc.com
http://www.velocity-rc.com/cgi-bin/v...on=show&pid=59

Voltron Mini GPS Datalogger Instructions (4 min 30 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Mar 18, 2012, 04:08 PM
3d NOOBular
not saying it's not worth it but the price makes is a lot less desirable.
Mar 18, 2012, 04:29 PM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke
not saying it's not worth it but the price makes is a lot less desirable.
Well, maybe not less desirable, just not quite affordable (right now, however .........) Thanks Wayne, goes into my wanna have list.
Mar 18, 2012, 05:35 PM
Suspended Account
cool little unit

I am doing the ground speed the old fashioned way

multiplex funjet doing 180KM per hour for 1 km straight and level (0 min 42 sec)

Mar 18, 2012, 06:10 PM
Yes, it is pricey. There is no shipping.

I have an airspeed indicator but you have to modify the plane to get it correct. We often want to check speed but it is hard to get a true reading with a radar.

I want to be able to realistically get the speed on my FunJet Ultra. I saw this being used by some other people so I decided to try it. If you have some other local speed freaks, maybe you could share the cost.

I thought my delta wing (Trick RC Zijji) was really going fast but I did not think it was 100+mph. The 129 was a surprise. I also went high and I did not expect to see 1000ft.
Last edited by waynemia; Mar 18, 2012 at 06:37 PM.
Mar 18, 2012, 07:35 PM
Flying Half Pound and Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia

I have an airspeed indicator but you have to modify the plane to get it correct. We often want to check speed but it is hard to get a true reading with a radar.
I think it is great. I get some of that data from my Garman but its way to big to put in a plane.... Well.... Shane's 12 foot tele would works!

Thanks Wayne, I sent that out to a techy club members, they love toys like this.
Mar 18, 2012, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy
I think it is great. I get some of that data from my Garman but its way to big to put in a plane.... Well.... Shane's 12 foot tele would works!

Thanks Wayne, I sent that out to a techy club members, they love toys like this.
That's it Ron, get someone else to get one and share. I will be sharing mine.

Crashes could be scary.
Mar 18, 2012, 07:49 PM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
Heheh...
Mar 18, 2012, 08:22 PM
Quote:
That's it Ron, get someone else to get one and share. I will be sharing mine.

Crashes could be scary.

Put it as far back as possible and tie a "Oh Crap" string to it in case the velco lets go.
Mar 18, 2012, 08:55 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:

I want to be able to realistically get the speed on my FunJet Ultra. I saw this being used by some other people so I decided to try it. If you have some other local speed freaks, maybe you could share the cost.

I thought my delta wing (Trick RC Zijji) was really going fast but I did not think it was 100+mph. The 129 was a surprise. I also went high and I did not expect to see 1000ft.
gps will give a slower reading in a dive than actual speed, when flying flat and level

so your actual top speed will not be shown correctly in a dive when useing gps as a measuring tool

gps only gives level ground speed or relative ground speed

I have seen videos of planes with gps doing insane dives, like vertical from way up there and gps shown actually "zero" speed because the plane is in a purfect dive, going vertically towards the earth

your actual top speed will not show correctly with gps
Mar 19, 2012, 12:08 AM
The Ayatollah of Rock & Rolla
Well it was pretty windy today, but not flying was not an option. The good news is the Twist 60 does not mind the wind so much. The bad news is I am retarded. I tried to fly it backwards into the wind, because I think I am cool and had an audience, which worked fine until I put in about 40 degrees of flaperon and it stalled violently. Luck for me I was able to save it, but just barely. After that I taxied into the pits, usually a no no. Since no one was around but me and a buddy I thought no worries. I idled down my throttle trim and just as the engine was sputtering out I turned of my TX, this is when I discovered my throttle fail safe was set to FULL THROTTLE. As luck would have it the plane was facing into the wind and away from us. I had the mental fortitude to very quickly switch the TX back on, and just as the plane was leaving the ground I regained control and avoided hitting the pits stands and the chain link fence. I have since said a prayer to the patron saint of airplanes, Jesus, Buddha, and Allah just to be safe. This really could have ended very very bad, I am sure a full throttle 91FS would chew the hell out of an leg or two and not feel any remorse. Lesson learned, do not shut off the TX until the prop comes to a complete stop. End rant.
Mar 19, 2012, 02:21 AM
3d NOOBular
wow what a story! thanks for sharing this poignant lesson of what not to do Glad you saved the plane
Mar 19, 2012, 05:42 AM
Good save stick.
And boy I'm jealous.
I'm still waiting on an APC 13/4 for my twist.
Any other prop is just a little fast for me.
The rains are going to be moving in and are suppose to be here all week.
Looks like my building season is going to be here for awhile, so no chance for me to get twisted anytime soon. Owell with this broken toe I really shouldn't be doing much anyway.
So it's POG for me ( pilot on ground)
Mar 19, 2012, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickHack
This really could have ended very very bad, I am sure a full throttle 91FS would chew the hell out of an leg or two and not feel any remorse. Lesson learned, do not shut off the TX until the prop comes to a complete stop. End rant.
Well... you got a good idea where that crazy rule of no taxi in the pits came from. Good save!
Mar 19, 2012, 07:59 AM
Does anyone have recommended Expo for a Showtime 90?

Quick Reply