Oct 03, 2012, 06:17 PM
3d addict
So made a couple of tweaks to my linkages today to make left rolls as fast as right rolls and got that all taken care of and working very well. After putting a handful of batteries thru it the last 2 days I really noticed it. So off for the test flight. Rolling left as well as right same speed, flying nice and level at all speeds except full throttle where there is the tiniest roll to the right.

After 2 minutes LVC kicked in and I went uh oh. Realized I grabbed the wrong battery off the table to test fly it with. did a great looking elevator to the ground and crunched the landing gear out. grrrrr. Lol. Anyways sliced back the foam behind the landing gear slopped some wood glue in there, stuck all the pieces back and clamped it all back together. Should dry up real nice and be good and strong once more. 3rd time it's been busted out and I actually think this might be the best repair I've done on it. Hahahah.

At least ill be able to fly again tomorrow. Was bummed I crunched it since there was no wind and I had a couple more batteries to fly this evening.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 03, 2012, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaScript
Well Frank... I finally sprung for 1..

I read this entire damn thread. Most before buying. Good news for me.. I don't spend 100% of my flights at full throttle. Aurora light kit in route as well.. Since this will be my new night flyer.

As far as 3DH is concerned.. Bought.. Shipped.. Same day.

Build plans:
103g Omega
Thunderbird 54
BEC for 6v action
3s 1500 30c packs
Power HD1900mg servos (with HS-65's standing by if needed) if not.. they will go in the rebuilt VR1 (another 3dh plane)

Before anyone asks... Not drinking the kool-aid.. Just think they build some great stuff.

Java.

Uh and denial is a river in Egypt. Your addicted!
Oct 03, 2012, 11:00 PM
Fly Low Fly Fast
Just finished building mine! Phew. A couple things I wanted to mention. I would've preferred if the motor was mounted with hex bolts and nuts like on the balsas, rather than wood screws. There's also very little room under the canopy. It's going to be a pain when changing batteries. I also wish there was some sort of way to wrap a velcro strap around the battery. I'm not too confident on securing my battery with just a length of velcro glued onto the fuse. There were no hinge slots (even though the manual mentioned having them) It wasn't a big problem. I just made quick incisions with a hobby knife. My wing came with the wing twist. The right tip was lower than the left. I secured my heat gun and made quick passes over the heat gun while twisting it with my hands. I did this for about 3 minutes. The twist went away, but who knows for how long. These are minor problems but nevertheless I was very happy with the build. Can't wait to fly it!

My setup (I used this setup for 2 years in my 41" Edge)

72g Omega~ 12x6 APC
40A HK Blueseries ESC
Turnigy 25c 1500mah 3s
45HB's on the Ailerons
65MG's on the tail
Last edited by Draven; Oct 03, 2012 at 11:06 PM.
Oct 03, 2012, 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaeolien
After 2 minutes LVC kicked in and I went uh oh. Realized I grabbed the wrong battery off the table to test fly it with. did a great looking elevator to the ground and crunched the landing gear out. grrrrr. Lol.
On all my planes with programmable ESCs, I disable LVC. Basically disable auto-cell count, and set it to whatever the lowest LVC voltage is.

It's saved me some of my bigger more expensive planes. The few times I've flown a spent battery, the plane starts to feel really weak and I land it. The battery might be hot and may be bad after that, but I'd rather buy a new battery than break my plane.
Oct 04, 2012, 06:05 AM
3d addict
That's not a bad idea at all. I have one battery which is kind of weaker to begin with that I just have laying on the bench for testing things at home and stuff. It never gets flown. Well of course isn't that the battery I grab while distracted by wife talking about something in the background. O well no biggy.

Checked it all this morning after letting it dry all clamped up and it's nice and strong again. Glued all the foam back this morning and it'll be ready to fly again this afternoon.
Oct 04, 2012, 06:08 AM
3d addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven
Just finished building mine! Phew. A couple things I wanted to mention. I would've preferred if the motor was mounted with hex bolts and nuts like on the balsas, rather than wood screws. There's also very little room under the canopy. It's going to be a pain when changing batteries. I also wish there was some sort of way to wrap a velcro strap around the battery. I'm not too confident on securing my battery with just a length of velcro glued onto the fuse. There were no hinge slots (even though the manual mentioned having them) It wasn't a big problem. I just made quick incisions with a hobby knife. My wing came with the wing twist. The right tip was lower than the left. I secured my heat gun and made quick passes over the heat gun while twisting it with my hands. I did this for about 3 minutes. The twist went away, but who knows for how long. These are minor problems but nevertheless I was very happy with the build. Can't wait to fly it!

72g Omega~ 12x6 APC
40A HK Blueseries ESC
Turnigy 25c 1500mah 3s
45HB's on the Ailerons
65MG's on the tail

Congrats on getting it all built. The twisted wing ya may have to give it another twist a bit but if you caught it before putting it in the plane you should be ok. Mine was slightly twisted out of the box as well and managed to get just about all of it out before it got mounted and glued in. Have a very slight roll at high speed but nothing I'm going to complain about since its not a high speed hotliner. Hehe.
Oct 04, 2012, 07:13 AM
Quote:
That's not a bad idea at all. I have one battery which is kind of weaker to begin with that I just have laying on the bench for testing things at home and stuff. It never gets flown. Well of course isn't that the battery I grab while distracted by wife talking about something in the background. O well no biggy.

Checked it all this morning after letting it dry all clamped up and it's nice and strong again. Glued all the foam back this morning and it'll be ready to fly again this afternoon.
I put a piece of tape around all my retired (work bench) batteries to keep me from using them accidentally.
Oct 04, 2012, 07:20 AM
3d addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277
I put a piece of tape around all my retired (work bench) batteries to keep me from using them accidentally.
I had never thought to do that since they are in a separate container and stuff. Needless to say that's the first thing I did when I got home last night was tape them all up so they jumped out at me if i had one in my hand or in a plane. Haha.
Oct 04, 2012, 07:29 AM
Quote:
I had never thought to do that since they are in a separate container and stuff. Needless to say that's the first thing I did when I got home last night was tape them all up so they jumped out at me if i had one in my hand or in a plane. Haha.
I didn't bother either until I had to find one in a pile after charging a batch of batteries.
Oct 04, 2012, 08:01 AM
PA team pilot
Quote:

72g Omega~ 12x6 APC
40A HK Blueseries ESC
Turnigy 25c 1500mah 3s
45HB's on the Ailerons
65MG's on the tail
I wouldn't be putting those hs-45hb's in the edge for ailerons.. they're only rated to about 1 kg/cm 4.8v / 1.2kg/cm 6V ...that's pretty low for these size ailerons and the performance of this airframe.. i'd be concerned with decent entry speeds into many tricks with those servos, and the loads on em in general.. may be ok with the lower powered 72g motor though, I'd imagine only just though..

..they're way under recommended specs anyway.
Oct 04, 2012, 08:03 AM
PA team pilot
Quote:
Congrats on getting it all built. The twisted wing ya may have to give it another twist a bit but if you caught it before putting it in the plane you should be ok. Mine was slightly twisted out of the box as well and managed to get just about all of it out before it got mounted and glued in. Have a very slight roll at high speed but nothing I'm going to complain about since its not a high speed hotliner. Hehe.
even if the wing is glued in before twisting it should be fine to twist afterswards as the twist is pretty even along the wing and only a couple of inches out of the forty is trapped.
Oct 04, 2012, 08:15 AM
PA team pilot
Quote:

72g Omega~ 12x6 APC
40A HK Blueseries ESC
Turnigy 25c 1500mah 3s
45HB's on the Ailerons
65MG's on the tail
i got rid of my velcro and now just push about an inch of battery under the wing and put a block of styrofoam between battery and the front of battery bay to stop it sliding forward.. Cg is perfect here and it's not going anywhere.. easy peasy and makes for less fiddling around in that small area.
Oct 04, 2012, 08:29 AM
PA team pilot
Quote:
So made a couple of tweaks to my linkages today to make left rolls as fast as right rolls and got that all taken care of and working very well. After putting a handful of batteries thru it the last 2 days I really noticed it. So off for the test flight. Rolling left as well as right same speed, flying nice and level at all speeds except full throttle where there is the tiniest roll to the right.

After 2 minutes LVC kicked in and I went uh oh. Realized I grabbed the wrong battery off the table to test fly it with. did a great looking elevator to the ground and crunched the landing gear out. grrrrr. Lol. Anyways sliced back the foam behind the landing gear slopped some wood glue in there, stuck all the pieces back and clamped it all back together. Should dry up real nice and be good and strong once more. 3rd time it's been busted out and I actually think this might be the best repair I've done on it. Hahahah.

At least ill be able to fly again tomorrow. Was bummed I crunched it since there was no wind and I had a couple more batteries to fly this evening.
I'm spewing too!! I had a lapse of concentration and smacked the edge in nose first.. smashed all the front end in, broke firewall in 3, stringers let go of firewall, and everythings a mess.. should fix ok too, as you said.. once the glue gets in there and you straighten everythin, it can end up as strong as before, with very little weight gain.

did you weigh it before and after repair btw?
Oct 04, 2012, 08:45 AM
3d addict
Nah didn't weigh it. Have never weighted it. Just built it as close to recommended and went with it.
Oct 04, 2012, 09:48 AM
PA team pilot
Quote:
Nah didn't weigh it. Have never weighted it. Just built it as close to recommended and went with it.
yeah fair enough.. i only do it to help me stay as light as possible.. I LOVE floaty planes (maybe I'm a bit obsessive about it he he).. with my repairs this time I'll be fine as when i built this one I shed about 15-20g from the normal by-the-book build, with no wheel pants, shorter axles, , soldered low rf low weight servo extensions on tail servos, lower 30 amp esc (with lighter gauge wires, still with 4A bec), lightweight alloy prop hardware, CF pushrods on the tail.. came in at 716g with a nanotech 1300 45-90c, which felt really floaty and fun. i think my first one came in around 730g, and after many repairs it was 739g.
at around 750g with an 1800 15C pack i had the plane felt noticeably heavier, higher high alpha stall speed, and as someone said before less punch/ climb out of hover.. nowhere near as fun.

ps here's a piccy of my new plane with the edge showing major size difference!
Last edited by Natesh; Oct 04, 2012 at 12:45 PM.

Quick Reply