Jan 14, 2011, 04:52 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Thread OP
aero2k4

Nice work on your champ ! I didn't work on mine lately. I received an FPV plane and assembled it. also sold some helis and had to repair and check them so didn't have time for the champ. Hopefully I will be able to work on it a bit. but it is fun to see you guys going on with your build. maybe you will fly yours before I fly mine

Anyway keep posting. thanks for the weight figures on your plane.

Carguy
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2011, 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca
aero2k4

Nice work on your champ ! I didn't work on mine lately. I received an FPV plane and assembled it. also sold some helis and had to repair and check them so didn't have time for the champ. Hopefully I will be able to work on it a bit. but it is fun to see you guys going on with your build. maybe you will fly yours before I fly mine

Anyway keep posting. thanks for the weight figures on your plane.

Carguy
Thanks, Carguy1994ca! Yah! These our little machines really makes us spend hours and hours, especially in finishing, adjustments and covering! And yet it seems that nothing is good, specially about finishing, adjustments and covering! But at the finish job it gives us a great satisfaction, right?!
Cool!!! Talk about your FPV plane... what´s is FPV plane? About heli? It´s little craft like that can I fly into the house?
I did buy a ready-to-fly HK EPO QuickSilver GT-700 Ultralight R/C because I could not stand to stay without flying! I receive the QuickSilver last week and it weighs 300 grams!!!
As can we see at Dan´s video Aeronca Champ... the Aeronca flies much more stable, great stall speed and slow like an "real" aircraft! I flow HK QuickSilver without winds and the landings was horribles! The HK QuickSilver is nice look but it flies much "heavy" and the stall speed is high! Even though the HK QuickSilver motor has plenty of power!
>>>HK QuickSilver: 710mm span x 600mm lengh, full 300gr (~3 more times weighs than Guillow´s Aeronca Champ), 9.2sq.dm, 32.6gr/sq.dm, brushless 26gr 2700kv 58Watts, 7x4 tree blade prop;
>>>Guillow´s Aeronca Champ: 605mm span x 429mm lengh, full 100gr, 5.5sq.dm, 18.2gr/sq.dm, brushless 5gr 2000kv 10Watts, 4x2.5 prop;
I´ll on change the HXT 5gr 1400~2000kv (90gr thrust) motor for another HXT 10gr 2000kv (130gr thrust).
As soon try to takeoff withe the little 5gr brushless...
Let´s fly anyway!!!
Let´s finish our Guillow´s Aeronca!!!
Cheers
Glauco D. P. Lopes (aero2k4)
Last edited by aero2k4; Jan 27, 2011 at 02:19 AM.
Feb 12, 2012, 10:39 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Thread OP
Hi ! Been a while since I had started this project. I just resume working on the aeronca and started the covering, added the motor (switched to ultra micro system to save weight) and added some wood to the right side of the cabin so the wing wont be crooked. I'm using the UM 4site power system and receiver, the system and servos I had chosen felt too heavy one installed. I was at well over 3 ounces before covering, light system and wheels.

Here are some pictures, will post more this week as I work on the build. next is to start covering the frame, install the stab and fin so I can see where to exit the pushrods. Then cover the wings and add the second covering color. Plane will be same colors as on the box, cream and dark green. Hope there will still be someone reading this...
Feb 13, 2012, 11:14 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Thread OP

Started covering on fuselage

Coverlite works well. I covered the bottom and top of fuselage, and began on bottom of one side. Top of side will be dark green. I made sure that the cream on the side was well attached to wood so it wouldn't sag when I put the green over it. Should look nice. I'm having a lot of trouble to remove the inked markings on the wood, so it shows under the covering. I'll try to mask it later.
Feb 15, 2012, 10:44 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Thread OP
Tonight I covered the other side of the bttom cream trim and the landing legs. Also brushed the balsarite on one wing so will start covering it tommorrow.
Feb 16, 2012, 11:27 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Thread OP
Covered the left wing. Went well, no warp. The cream and green look good together. Found that what I tought was "cream" on the box was in fact white (says so on the instructions) Oh well, I like the cream, looks old fashion.
Feb 26, 2012, 10:08 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Thread OP

Stab glued

After a big week at work, I finally got time to work on the plane. Today I covered the other wing, I added the green to the rudder and I glued the horizontal stabilizer. I attached the elevator to it with 3M blenderm tape (small strips). I also installed the pushrod for the elevator and tested it: Works fine. I don't know why, but I kept postponing the pushrods installation. It went well though. I also used some small horns from Hobby King.
Mar 04, 2012, 08:10 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Thread OP

Installing the fin and rudder

This week I had very little time to work on the champ, but managed to install the fin and rudder and its linkage. Linkages work well and should have enough throw to fly the plane. I'm quite happy with the trim, looks nice.
Last edited by carguy1994ca; Mar 05, 2012 at 09:59 PM.
Mar 04, 2012, 10:25 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Thread OP

Covering the sides and hood

Today I covered both sides of the plane as well as the hood.

Edit: pics added
Last edited by carguy1994ca; Mar 05, 2012 at 10:09 PM.
Mar 05, 2012, 11:37 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Thread OP

Adding the wings

Wings are glued !
Mar 06, 2012, 08:10 AM
I'm BIG on micros
Nice build! I'll be watching for updates.

Where did you get the light kit?
Mar 07, 2012, 04:05 AM
Foam Floats Better
Is their no wire support designed in to mount the wheels on?
Or did I miss something in the thread?
Mar 07, 2012, 09:04 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Thread OP
Thanks ! I need to cover and install the wing struts, the wheels and paint the cowl and it'll be ready to fly ! Just have to wait for summer because I want to fly it over tall grass to maiden it and see how it flies. Should be good in about a month.

Got the lights kit here. Unfortunately, the receiver I am using has only 4 channels, dunno if I'll be able to connect them so i can use the flap switch to make them work. Also the plug that came for the kit is a reg servo plug, and I'd need a micro plug for the receiver (esay to change).
Mar 07, 2012, 09:05 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVPilot
Is their no wire support designed in to mount the wheels on?
Or did I miss something in the thread?
There is a wire support that you glue to the bottom of fuselage and wheel struts. Its just not installed yet, as I didn't want the plane to roll away and I'm not sure if the wire is the good size for the wheels I'll use. Will look at this tonight if I have time.
Mar 14, 2012, 02:29 AM
Foam Floats Better
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca
There is a wire support that you glue to the bottom of fuselage and wheel struts. Its just not installed yet, as I didn't want the plane to roll away and I'm not sure if the wire is the good size for the wheels I'll use. Will look at this tonight if I have time.
Ah, I see.
I was just wondering because most of the small scale balsa planes I have ever built has the wire gear sandwiched or stitched with thread into the lower bulkhead before it's covered.
Sometimes they are built with a slot in between two bulkheads and the wire can be installed after it's covered, I didn't notice that type of arrangment on your plane so was just wondering how it would be attached.

Quick Reply