Nov 15, 2012, 12:39 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petefoss
How are you masking for painting Adam? Frisket paper?
I'm just using manilla folder, I lightly dust the areas around the edges with 3m77 (very very light dusting) then I spray straight down over the part.

-A
Latest blog entry: Stol f-16
to remove ads between posts
Nov 15, 2012, 04:43 PM
Deleted.
Last edited by Petefoss; Nov 15, 2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: dumb question <grin>
Nov 15, 2012, 08:47 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
Got it all finished up tonight. Motors are from an old Airhogs and I'm using the mCX brick with the yaw gyro popped off. Came in at 18.5g with a 150mAh lipo, could prob go a bit smaller. Getting just about 1:1 thrust:weight.

Flies great, differential thrust is very effective, and I'm thinking the speed will be nice and relaxing once I've got it properly trimmed.

Cartoon Skeleton F-35 Maiden (0 min 58 sec)

This guy's a keeper, time to expand to the rest of the egg plane fleet.

-Adam
Nov 15, 2012, 08:51 PM
vtol coming I hope?
Nov 15, 2012, 09:02 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Very nice adam

I have an mcx and msr brick laying around waiting for such projects

Well done sir!
Nov 15, 2012, 09:59 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29
Very nice adam

I have an mcx and msr brick laying around waiting for such projects

Well done sir!
Thanks! Yeah, the mCX brick is a nice little unit that is often overlooked for twin micros (mostly because the gyro orientation would provide roll feedback through the diff thrust if left stock.) They gyro is the silver rectangular component on the servo side of the board. You can literally just pop it off with a razor blade, and the unit will function fine with differential thrust, and no weird feedback.

-A
Nov 15, 2012, 10:09 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Yah I have done some research on the mcx brick

Modfly has a good thread on it

I was going to try the MSR brick as well but it won't work the same

However it may be useful in other unique projects

I have a twin project in mind using mcx or mossie brick as well

A allied WW2 airplane that never made it to mass production but would've been fantastic.

Just got a box of depron so it's time to build' build, build lol

Question

Have you used the model plane foam yet? If so how did you like it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIT KID
Thanks! Yeah, the mCX brick is a nice little unit that is often overlooked for twin micros (mostly because the gyro orientation would provide roll feedback through the diff thrust if left stock.) They gyro is the silver rectangular component on the servo side of the board. You can literally just pop it off with a razor blade, and the unit will function fine with differential thrust, and no weird feedback.

-A
Nov 16, 2012, 09:25 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
Got a few more flights on it this evening, trimmed nicely now. Flies great, loops and will do a dirty roll. I added a set of removable gear from the um-T-28. Should have move video and plans up by the end of the weekend.

-A
Nov 16, 2012, 10:31 PM
Hi Adam,

Your Cartoon Scale Skeleton F-35 model looks really cool. You did a great job with its design!

Joe.
Nov 17, 2012, 01:52 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
Here are the plans, incorporating a few changes from the prototype. The sheets are full size, but I included a 1inch scale on both. Foam parts are on a 24X12.5in sheet (wing is 12" span, so I added a 0.5" margin) Stencils are on 22x17in. There are also optional intake pieces, I drew/made but did not install.

Cartoon Skeleton F-35 (2 min 22 sec)

-A
Nov 17, 2012, 05:32 PM
Power Wheels Guru
What Travel extents did you set the rudders? Is it just straight up?

Sometimes with my MCX Differential thrust conversions I have to play with the rudder travel to avoid death spirals.
Nov 17, 2012, 05:43 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN
What Travel extents did you set the rudders? Is it just straight up?

Sometimes with my MCX Differential thrust conversions I have to play with the rudder travel to avoid death spirals.
I left them at 100% with about 30% expo. Full aileron and rudder will do a nice barrel roll. Roll is very sluggish using just taileron, so I'd suggest people who are more right stick centric setting up a 50% aileron-to-rudder mix.

-A
Nov 17, 2012, 06:12 PM
Thanks Adam!
Nov 17, 2012, 08:01 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
No problem Pete! You get started on that cub yet? I finally got around to making a plug for the windscreen.

-A
Nov 18, 2012, 07:11 AM
Nope it got pushed behind another plane. When Carolynn says she wants a plane, it jumps to the top of the pile! She really likes Mark's new Camp e-Racer in Halloween trim.

What do you think about your Cub on 2S?

Quick Reply