Dec 15, 2011, 10:59 PM
Thread OP
Yeah seems fine now. I took it for a spin around the block running with it and it still held up

It did seem kind of light but adding the shear webs across the whole wing really helped in my opinion.

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcav8r2
The way the center section was designed in the original (at least in the kit I had) kinda had me worried about strength. Well that was unwarranted as it held up over years of abuse, I had a Fox .25 in mine.
I'm sure yours will be fine.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 18, 2011, 06:08 PM

Subscribed

I will be following your progress King. Have fun!!

Randy
Dec 18, 2011, 06:49 PM
Thread OP
Well didn't get too much done this weekend as I was hoping. Christmas parties won out.

I could have bought some aileron stock but decided to make them myself with my planer. I was actually surprised how easy it was. I stopped a little short figuring I would sand it the rest of the way. It did a nice even job.

Did a lot of rough sanding on the wing too. I have a feeling I'll be spending a lot of time filling in cracks, fine sanding etc. but that should be fairly easy.

Robert
Dec 21, 2011, 02:05 AM
399' and holding
Robert,
I thought I would post a little something to give you some inspiration... This is my next "scratch" build. Granted it will be all laser cut...
Dec 21, 2011, 09:06 AM
Thread OP
Thanks that looks cool. Your own design? What's the wingspan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plane_tech
Robert,
I thought I would post a little something to give you some inspiration... This is my next "scratch" build. Granted it will be all laser cut...
Dec 21, 2011, 12:11 PM
399' and holding
Yeah, its one of mine. 60" span, 28mm geared inrunner, balsa and ply construction.
Dec 21, 2011, 12:56 PM

Laser Cutter

Could you set the Pronto up for laser cutting. It is a Super Simple design???

Randy
Dec 21, 2011, 02:27 PM
Thread OP
Just as easy to cut out yourself IMO. The wing ribs are all the same pattern just 2 different thicknesses.

If you had a jig or band saw would be even easier. I just did it by hand but really wasn't that hard.

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatball

Randy
Dec 21, 2011, 02:27 PM
king... those razor-planes are priceless... and something about shavings on a bench says "progress", no matter how you slice it. Lookin good there.

I'll be getting back to mine probably next week.. Our youngest daughter is home from the Army for a week...along with her partner, and our grand-daughter..so we've been having a good time.. but I'm getting antsy to get back to my Dazzler.

Thanks for sharing here.. and have a great holiday week.
Dec 21, 2011, 03:08 PM
399' and holding
Quote:

Randy
If you had a CAD drawing of the plans, sure. But from the looks of it, it might not be worth it. A couple hours of keyboard time, plus cut time, it could get real expensive real quick. But it does allow you to explore new options as far as construction and what is possible.
Dec 21, 2011, 03:35 PM
Quote:

Randy
I CNC router cut mine. Link to Gcode files posted here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1&postcount=60

Mine was for 1/16" sides, but I also posted the CAD files (Sketchup) so it would be easy enough to change the tab/slotting.

As others have said.. if you already have the plans, you could hand cut a few kits long before any CAD files were ready for the laser... This one really is a great first scratch build, and in the end you get a GREAT flying plane.

I pulled a photo from my build thread.... Here's the new, and the 15 or so year old one.... Bet ya can't tell which is which
Dec 21, 2011, 05:35 PM

5 Cents

Bet ya a nickel I can!!! I have 3 members in my club (Chino Valley Model Aviators) that like to fool around with cutting machines. I also looked at the Phlatprinter site and liked what I saw. If the files were already available I thought I might pass them on to my buddies to see how much trouble they could get into. The Pronto would be perfect to experiment with since it is so easy to build. I have most of my parts cut out for my model, just awaiting my new motor so I know where to place the firewall. I hope it gets here before Christmas. Wish everyone a Merry Christmas!!!

Randy
Dec 21, 2011, 06:45 PM
Quote:
. If the files were already available I thought I might pass them on to my buddies to see how much trouble they could get into.

Randy
I posted these elsewhere, but I forget where, so here they are again. The fuse top needs re-worked as the fin slot doesn't line up. A few other parts may need some minor tweaks that I found during the build. I didn't fix the files as no one on the Phlatforum was really interested... they do love their foam

Also as stated before, the cut files are for 1/16" balsa, and they proved to be too thin as the fuse was tweaking with throttle... Maybe use the 1/16" if you used some square stock in the corners. If going that route, the formers would need notched.
Dec 21, 2011, 08:19 PM
TNX rcav8r2, I have passed on the files to my buddies!!
Dec 21, 2011, 08:27 PM
Thread OP
Yes Dgrant it was kind of neat to look at. I'm happy I did it on my own without buying the stock aileron. It was easy.

Well I have the wing almost done. I got the servo mounted, aileron linkage installed, ply landing gear mount, ailerons ready, thin ply brace for the trailing edge middle.

I ended up framing the servo kind of funky. I wanted to use my micro servos I already had but left room on the left in case I need to put a standard size in.

Things left to do for the wing:

1. put some ply pieces under the servo to help hold the screws
2. add maple landing gear brace.
3. sand the ailerons to a flatter shape (slight curvature)
4. add wingtips

Hoping to get that all done tonight. Then I can start on the fuselage. I still will need to fill some spots and fine sand but will save that to do all at once.

It's actually starting to look like something!

Hope everyone is getting ready for Christmas (or "holidays" for the PC crowd )

Robert

Quick Reply