Aug 29, 2010, 09:10 PM
Why kamikaze pilot wear helmet
Thread OP
Discussion

gas vs Nitro motors

Ok, Im trying to make a plan for my dream airplane for this wenter project.

I was a very larg, war bird of some type, I really like my corsairs, but I think it may be a AT- Texan.

Anyways, I found a large Texan on ebay, but is says it needs a 1.20 rc nitro motor, I love the easy of gas, and cost.

How do I know what size gas motor will work for a .60 or a 1.20 size plane?

Any one recomend a larg war bird that flys sweet?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 30, 2010, 07:13 AM
ARFs Are Me
Take a look at what size prop the glow motor would swing. Find a gasser that swings the same prop.

Personally, on warbirds that small, I'd stick with glow.
Aug 30, 2010, 08:35 AM
Thread OP
Thanks, the overall picture is, I have a parkzone corsair with a eflight power .10 electric motor, and I love it! It flys faster than my .60nitro/on a 40 size tranner, the power alowes me to do tricks, I was told an old war bird is not supposed to do. LOL

So I really want a bigger war bird, the little fommy is just a little to small.

So Im trying to find a .60 or larger war bird/motor combo that will do unlimited verticals like my corsair. Or is my standards too high for nitor motor?

Thanks guys
Aug 30, 2010, 09:59 AM
You can get unlimited verticals in any plane as long as you select the proper motor. Glow engines, esp in this range, are more powerful in the weight to power ratio.

Having said that, if you are looking for unlimited verticals, why not get a plane that's more suited for that, ie, 3D.
Aug 30, 2010, 10:36 AM
NM2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes68charger
Thanks, the overall picture is, I have a parkzone corsair with a eflight power .10 electric motor, and I love it! It flys faster than my .60nitro/on a 40 size tranner, the power alowes me to do tricks, I was told an old war bird is not supposed to do. LOL

So I really want a bigger war bird, the little fommy is just a little to small.

So Im trying to find a .60 or larger war bird/motor combo that will do unlimited verticals like my corsair. Or is my standards too high for nitor motor?

Thanks guys

All model airplanes look small if you fly them far enough away from yourself. This is a true observation that was made by my wife when I was pining to own a 100cc plus engine powered model. Sadly, she was absolutely right, when I thought about it.

Ed Cregger
Aug 30, 2010, 01:28 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan
All model airplanes look small if you fly them far enough away from yourself. This is a true observation that was made by my wife when I was pining to own a 100cc plus engine powered model. Sadly, she was absolutely right, when I thought about it.

Ed Cregger
Yes this is very true, I do like a slightly stronger/larger plane, The thing is when I get time a way from the wife, and its 10-15mph winds at the field the fommy is a challange.

I have a 3d 540T edge, but I love the look, of a corsair, spitfire.
Aug 30, 2010, 02:40 PM
well to replace a 1.20 (20cc) size glow engine with a gasoline engine means the minimum engine would be a 23cc gasoline engine. But 23cc is on the low side so a 30cc would be just about right. so you want something in the 30cc displacement range for a gasoline engine. There are some 40cc to 43cc engines that are smaller than average too, so that is another option for a little more performance. But heck there are some newer 50cc engines like the OS 55 and the Turnigy engine that looks similar that are pretty small too. So that is a high performance option.

Your next choice is whether you want side or rear exhaust and a side or rear carb mount type of engine. A rear carb mount might hide beatter inside the cowl, but you may have to cut a big hole in the firewall for clearance. it depends. same for the exhaust as well.

anyway, i hope that helps.
Aug 31, 2010, 02:58 PM
"Chuck Yeager"
Sato FG30 is a 4 stroke gas engine that is what i am going to use in my next plane
Sep 04, 2010, 09:25 AM
that tree ate my plane
look at the dle 20 it is not available for purchase yet but is sowing great potential. it is almost the same weight and size as a saito 125 and is producing almost the same power maybe more i plan on putting one in my tf 1/7 scale mustang come january
Sep 04, 2010, 10:26 AM
Is it safe to assume that those using the term "nitro motors" are actually referring to glow engines?

jess
Sep 04, 2010, 12:25 PM
that tree ate my plane
yes
Sep 04, 2010, 07:37 PM
NM2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiej
Is it safe to assume that those using the term "nitro motors" are actually referring to glow engines?

jess

Yes, but soon, if the scuttlebut about what Enya engines is up to is true, we will have to further delineate the words to include glow, but gasoline fueled, engines, since glow/gas already has another meaning attached to it. Now tell me that that isn't going to cause some refiggering!

Ed Cregger

Quick Reply