Mar 26, 2011, 02:09 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Help please with DX-7 and Parkzone DH 98 Mosquito (video added)

Hi:

I have been flying electric helis for almost two years. I even had an old Hirobo Shuttle nitiro for awhile until I sold it for parts. But I always wanted to try a fixed wing since they seemed fun on the Phoemix 3.0. So not wanting to spend a ton of money I did some research and bought a Parkzone DH 98 Ultra Micro. I really like the paint scheme and I like the look of the dual props.

With helis and I guess fixed wings as well, the better the program is will help increase the fun experience. I have a DX-7 and I am looking (hoping) someone will share their program or give me some advice on a docile first time program setup. Even if you do not have this particular plane, if you have a DX-6 or DX-7 and have programmed them for a plane, I would appreciate any advice.

thanks,

x-nitro
Last edited by x-nitro; Mar 29, 2011 at 01:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 26, 2011, 07:22 PM

Programed

Not sure what you are requesting? I have the DX7 but not the plane. Are you asking for amounts of travel, CG location, Motor, DUAL RATES, EXPO, ????
Mar 26, 2011, 09:05 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmo
Not sure what you are requesting? I have the DX7 but not the plane. Are you asking for amounts of travel, CG location, Motor, DUAL RATES, EXPO, ????

Yes exactly, sorry I was not clear. I have the blade SR heli and it took awhile but I found a fairly docile program for the DX-7 that allowed me to finally hover it and keep it from twitching as much. So I was wondering if someone would share their setup for this plane or something close to it (another Parkzone foamie maybe?). I believe I do not have to setup a throttle curve, but what about pitch curve? What numbers are you using? And what are you using for dual rate ? etc

Thanks,

x-nitro
Mar 27, 2011, 06:21 AM
You do not have throttle curve or pitch curve setups for fixed wing.

I generally set about 40 to 50 percent expo into rudder, elevator, and aileron. I also set dual rates for all three at about 50 percent.

Glen
Mar 27, 2011, 11:52 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1
You do not have throttle curve or pitch curve setups for fixed wing.

I generally set about 40 to 50 percent expo into rudder, elevator, and aileron. I also set dual rates for all three at about 50 percent.

Glen
Excellent thanks ..that's what I was looking for..some starting points that have been tried..

x-nitro
Mar 27, 2011, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-nitro
Excellent thanks ..that's what I was looking for..some starting points that have been tried..

x-nitro
50% travel rate might be a bit low for the mosquito. On the elevator specifically. It normally seems to require some down trim on elev and if you only have 50% travel set up, there is not much movement left. Expo is highly individual it seems. I don't use a lot, but many others do and I am for sure not an expert. I have only been involved in rc planes since last fall. You can take this to mean that at 70% travel and 30% expo on low rates, the mosquito is very easy to fly - if I can do it, almost anyone should be able to.
Mar 27, 2011, 10:46 PM
Radio setup is critical (and difficult) for a helicopter. For fixed-wing, you get 95% of the experience if the controls all move the right way for roughly the correct distance.

For a Parkzone Ultra Micro, high rates are perfect with the servos set at 100% travel. Set low rates to maybe 70% to start, and adjust if you'd like different responsiveness. Expo is totally optional and very much a personal preference; I use about 15% on most sport planes (closer to 50% on 3D planes).
Mar 28, 2011, 10:21 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for all replies ...I tried the lower rates and then ground tested the plane in my driveway. The elevator, rudder and ailerons did not move physically much at all. So I knew this would inhibit my control once in the air.

So I went to higher rates like (Pos 0) EXP = 20% and D/R = 80% for the Low and (Pos 1) EXP = LIN and D/R = 100% for the High to give me more travel which I believe equates to more control in the air. The flaps visually moved much more with these settings.

No air time yet it's been too windy. I also read that I may have to put some down trim in the elevators because the plane tends to balloon on take off? I'll have to experiment.

thanks again

x-nitro
Mar 28, 2011, 05:48 PM
Flash, AAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh
you don't always want tons of movement. small changes can have considerable affect on flight.
Mar 28, 2011, 09:08 PM
2nd the note that you don't need tons of movement on the surfaces. I don't know how experienced you are, but the high rates with no expo will be touchy at best until you get a feel for the plane. The mossie is no 3d or aerobatic type, but it will move around pretty quick with full travel and no expo. It will loop and roll set at 70%. And addition of expo just softens the movement around the center of the stick travel so doesn't affect overall mount of movement.
Mar 29, 2011, 10:37 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly
2nd the note that you don't need tons of movement on the surfaces. I don't know how experienced you are, but the high rates with no expo will be touchy at best until you get a feel for the plane. The mossie is no 3d or aerobatic type, but it will move around pretty quick with full travel and no expo. It will loop and roll set at 70%. And addition of expo just softens the movement around the center of the stick travel so doesn't affect overall mount of movement.

I have no experience with planes (other then the Phoenix 3.0) only helis. I found a video of Jim Booker from Horizon Hobby talking about the DX-7 settings for the Parkzone Sukhoi Ultra micro and how to bind it:,
ParkZone Sukhoi Review and Transmitter Setup (8 min 29 sec)

I am going to try those since they align with what you guys have told me and the planes seem similar:

Elevator HR = 100/50 expo LR = 70/30 expo
Aileron HR = 100/50 expo LR = 60/50 expo
Rudder HR = 100% no expo LR = 100% no expo

What do you think ? Am I still off here or is this more of a reasonable setup for the first flight? Just update my table if you disagree.

Much thanks,

x-nitro
Last edited by x-nitro; Mar 29, 2011 at 12:48 PM.

Quick Reply