May 02, 2012, 06:40 PM
FPV ADDICT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgiff
Thanks for the kind words! That flight was my second attempt at flying off my boat. This next clip was my first the day before. I was out on Juan De Fuca straight on my way to Victoria to run in a 10k. This time the boat was under way and traveling at about 5knts so a little slower ground speed for the guy catching it. A little longer then I like vids, sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ebz9...3&feature=plcp
VERY COOL NICE VIDEO...you don't see a video like this posted often!
to remove ads between posts
May 02, 2012, 10:46 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Hmm I haven't done any FPV for a while, the heli addiction has bitten lol
Weather looks to be nice this weekend, so will try and get out, the main demotivating thing is how much of a pain in the ass setting myself up is, with laptop, easycap fiddling around, calibrating OSD IR, waiting for gps lock..

Gonna have to get myself a god GS with simple LCD screen and nice little simple SD card DVR.
May 03, 2012, 11:11 AM

New Plane

Here's a few pics of my new build. This is the replacement for the Angry Bird plane I destroyed last week. Weathers been pretty crappy here the past few days so I'll maiden it next week.
May 03, 2012, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax
Here's a few pics of my new build. This is the replacement for the Angry Bird plane I destroyed last week. Weathers been pretty crappy here the past few days so I'll maiden it next week.
Sorry to hear about your crash. I told you that angry birds like to ram into things.

The new plane looks pretty good especially with the LEDs. What color is it on the underside?
May 03, 2012, 02:03 PM
100mph club member
I hate to point out the obvious.... but that looks like an angry bird too with the yellow beak.
May 03, 2012, 04:35 PM
< 250g FPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax
That is going to be easy to find!
May 03, 2012, 06:27 PM
Thanks, I usually don't fly these more than 1/4 mile away. But I do like to send them way up high and do lops and stuff with them. Low level high speed passes also. That's usually how they end up in pieces!!!!
May 06, 2012, 01:02 AM
Could anyone point me in the right direction for a replacement lens for my hobby king sony 1/3 ccd camera? maybe something wider? thanks!
May 06, 2012, 01:30 PM
Went to mow a meadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonb5269
Could anyone point me in the right direction for a replacement lens for my hobby king sony 1/3 ccd camera? maybe something wider? thanks!
Heres a lens ...
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2-1mm-1...-webcams-15237

and heres what RCModelReviews thinks about it
$17 HK FPV camera with wide-angle lens (4 min 11 sec)

Hope this helps
Frank
May 06, 2012, 01:34 PM
FPV! and nothing else matters.
I use those

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=21284
May 06, 2012, 09:42 PM
Thread OP
I just got one of those too - I'm going to start testing it this week...

-Steve
http://www.ilovefpv.com
May 07, 2012, 12:54 AM

Second FPV experience, no OSD and atleast 2.5km distance

Well, it was eventful, but flew my Bixler via FPV for the second time on the weekend. I am waiting on a second Bixler that I am setting up for dedicated FPV flying and want to keep my original just that - original.

BUT - I couldn't wait.... so I fitted the camera that came with my Fatshark 5.8Ghz system, ran with my new 600mW VTx, NO OSD, but had upgraded my Turnigy 9x with FrSky so had battery level and signal strength of receiver. And had a wing camera mounted and recording.

Anyway, got a few flights under my belt and then started heading out a little further. The sun had just about set so I got in one last long flight. According to what I saw, I estimated that I got about 2.5km away. Video was pretty clean and clear and receiver had about 65% signal (all antennas have been upgraded, mostly Cloverleaf and Skew Planar). When I turned around to come home, I only turned about 160deg instead of a full 180deg. So when I was supposed to be flying overhead, I was still about 2km away - and still out of sight.

I was lost, could not identify any of the landmarks (first time flying in this location - DOH) and the thought of ditching the plane was becoming very real!! We were in a remote location, so I looked for some sheds/buildings that I could land near, which would hopefully make recovery a possibility. I identified 3 sheds and decided to land as close to them as possible. Once I gout about 20m from the ground I lost video - so was not exactly sure where it landed.

Now what !! No GPS reference, and no real idea where the plane was. So I pulled up google maps on my phone and finally located the 3 sheds. Put place markers on google maps and it was 2.1km away!! So we got into the car and tried to get as close as we could. Unfortunately, we got about 1km out and was stuck behind a locked gate. By this stage it was very dark, so we walked in and finally found the sheds. LUCKILY the plane had landed right in the middle of all three sheds - in the opening!! It could have ended up anywhere - but this is where it was!!

The motor had burnt out because it was upside down, but everything else was okay. The nose was a little dented. But the wing cam recorded the whole thing also!!

So many mistakes made!!! No OSD, No RTH, No GPS, No failsafe, unfamiliar location, flying on dusk. But at least it was a record!!

New bixler has since arrived and it is being setup with Dragon OSD v2 with RTH. But looking forward to officially breaking my unofficial record with proper recording of distance. At least I can look back and laugh now
May 07, 2012, 01:04 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgid
Well, it was eventful, but flew my Bixler via FPV for the second time on the weekend. I am waiting on a second Bixler that I am setting up for dedicated FPV flying and want to keep my original just that - original.

BUT - I couldn't wait.... so I fitted the camera that came with my Fatshark 5.8Ghz system, ran with my new 600mW VTx, NO OSD, but had upgraded my Turnigy 9x with FrSky so had battery level and signal strength of receiver. And had a wing camera mounted and recording.

Anyway, got a few flights under my belt and then started heading out a little further. The sun had just about set so I got in one last long flight. According to what I saw, I estimated that I got about 2.5km away. Video was pretty clean and clear and receiver had about 65% signal (all antennas have been upgraded, mostly Cloverleaf and Skew Planar). When I turned around to come home, I only turned about 160deg instead of a full 180deg. So when I was supposed to be flying overhead, I was still about 2km away - and still out of sight.

I was lost, could not identify any of the landmarks (first time flying in this location - DOH) and the thought of ditching the plane was becoming very real!! We were in a remote location, so I looked for some sheds/buildings that I could land near, which would hopefully make recovery a possibility. I identified 3 sheds and decided to land as close to them as possible. Once I gout about 20m from the ground I lost video - so was not exactly sure where it landed.

Now what !! No GPS reference, and no real idea where the plane was. So I pulled up google maps on my phone and finally located the 3 sheds. Put place markers on google maps and it was 2.1km away!! So we got into the car and tried to get as close as we could. Unfortunately, we got about 1km out and was stuck behind a locked gate. By this stage it was very dark, so we walked in and finally found the sheds. LUCKILY the plane had landed right in the middle of all three sheds - in the opening!! It could have ended up anywhere - but this is where it was!!

The motor had burnt out because it was upside down, but everything else was okay. The nose was a little dented. But the wing cam recorded the whole thing also!!

So many mistakes made!!! No OSD, No RTH, No GPS, No failsafe, unfamiliar location, flying on dusk. But at least it was a record!!

New bixler has since arrived and it is being setup with Dragon OSD v2 with RTH. But looking forward to officially breaking my unofficial record with proper recording of distance. At least I can look back and laugh now
Wow, very good effort for first flights, this definitely will drum in the rule to always know the area you are flying at, lol!
Glad you got it back in one piece mate.
Oh, and not having OSD, RTH is not a mistake, you just need to weigh the risks. Up until about 1km distance, I think they are unnecessary, and overcomplicate setup. Also, can be more that may go wrong. Flying much further away though, RTH is very valuable.

Also, welcome to the thread, and rcgroups I spose haha, unless you have been lurking a while hehe?

Sam
May 07, 2012, 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc
Wow, very good effort for first flights, this definitely will drum in the rule to always know the area you are flying at, lol!
Glad you got it back in one piece mate.
Oh, and not having OSD, RTH is not a mistake, you just need to weigh the risks. Up until about 1km distance, I think they are unnecessary, and overcomplicate setup. Also, can be more that may go wrong. Flying much further away though, RTH is very valuable.

Also, welcome to the thread, and rcgroups I spose haha, unless you have been lurking a while hehe?

Sam
I have been here for a while, but only now had something to post. A friend has got me hooked on RC stuff, and hobbyking. But he has moved away, so rcgroups is my new training ground Plus he was old school, where I like FPV and multicopters, something he had never done.

But yeah, rcgroups has been a source of much information. Whenever I need to know something - I search here first. Thanks for the welcome Sam!
May 07, 2012, 07:36 AM
100mph club member
I have Nova OSD with RTH and it's one of those things that I can't imagine living without. I used the RTH feature even when I don't need to just because it's so darn convenient to let the plane fly itself home.

Quick Reply