Nov 25, 2012, 08:55 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Remove yellow tint from white ABS plastic

Hello, I just bought an old Traxxas Villain 1508 boat in very good shape.
The boat sat for a very long time and has a yellow tint on the top of the boat,
the sides and bottom are nice and white.

I've done a search and was told to use baking soda, white vinegar, whitening
toothpast and many others. Does anyone here a good idea on how to remove the yellow, or should I just paint it white and be done with it...thanks
to remove ads between posts
Nov 25, 2012, 09:38 PM
I think you are going to find that the best and most likely only solution is to paint everything you can see white. I have an older ABS hull that I painted white almost 20 years ago and even with the paint and rarely in direct sunlight she still yellowed.
Nov 25, 2012, 10:45 PM
Maybe the yellow stuff is nicotine?,maybe look up how to remove that
Nov 26, 2012, 01:30 AM
ADM. 48TH FLEET
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predreadnut
Maybe the yellow stuff is nicotine?,maybe look up how to remove that
could very well be....@plane58.....if you have windex rub a little on the plastic and it smears...could very well be nicotine in my shop iv'e got a couple of bare hulls they yellowed as well....i smoke and so does my shop assistant....

joe
Nov 26, 2012, 08:29 AM
Thread OP
I took everything out of the the hull and gave it a good washing with dish soap,
I then used a product called Meguiar's marine wax and all that did was make the yellow shine better. Do all ABS plastics yellow with age?
Nov 26, 2012, 10:45 AM
"Take the Cannollis"
I would try using hydrogen peroxide.
(First, use alcohol to remove the wax you just put on.)
Nov 26, 2012, 10:45 AM
ABS turns yellow when it is exposed to sunlight or fluorescent lighting.

Andy
Nov 26, 2012, 11:16 AM

get hydrogen peroxide from beauty supply store

It is 4X stronger than drug store kind. it won't take as much time as shown in this article http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-t...rABSplastic%29
Nov 26, 2012, 12:16 PM
The yellowing is basically a suntan that goes through the structure of the plastic. Like Kcal says, paint it.
Nov 26, 2012, 06:10 PM
Thread OP
This is what the boat looks like.
Nov 26, 2012, 08:10 PM
1/2 a bubble off
Paint it. Even if you just paint it white.

The yellowing is from exposure to Ultra Violet sunlight. Like someone else mentioned earlier, long term exposure to fluorescent lighting will do it too. Fluorescent lights emit a small amount of UV. Black lights emit a lot more UV.

My wife's Kyosho Jet Arrow also originally white ABS is yellowed on the top surface. It'll get painted this year or next. Depends on how long she runs it before she hates the yellowing.
Nov 27, 2012, 01:08 PM
Thread OP
I like to thank everyone for there input, and Kcal it right, along with others..I'll give it a paint job....thanks
Nov 27, 2012, 03:30 PM
Boat racing enthusiast
There are guys bleaching yellowed nylon parts from older RC cars like the RC10 with hydrogen peroxide and sunlight.
I don't know if it would work on ABS.
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_m...98012&id=22525
Nov 27, 2012, 11:01 PM
Yup, that is florescent light yellowing. Had a fender strat pick guard do that once. I had to replace it. Painting is probably the correct answer.
Nov 28, 2012, 02:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter1soc
Yup, that is florescent light yellowing. Had a fender strat pick guard do that once. I had to replace it. Painting is probably the correct answer.
Woah, does that mean that if I have those curly bulbs, my Fender Telecaster and Epiphone Les Paul are in danger of pick guard damage?! :-(

Quick Reply